Detox/Cleansing Diet

Options
13»

Replies

• TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I was wrong there were a lot of studies published.
    http://www.doctoryourself.com/bib_gerson_therapy.html

Specifically, which of these studies do you find relevant to your belief that detoxes are beneficial?

Detoxes are beneficial to people with degenerative illnesses. Healthy people don't really have to be this drastic.
    All the studies are relevant. also Max Gerson's book A Cancer Therapy: Results of 50 Cases would be relevant. The book I own on this is Healing the Gerson Way, which also has the case studies of recovered patients.
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    If you are having problems with toxins why not go to the hospital and get dialysis?
    dialysis will cleanse the blood if you have renal failure but it does not remove built up toxins in the cells throughout the body.
  • BelievePersevereInspire
    Options
    Sometimes people need a guide, and may not truly know what clean eating means.

In this regard, I would recommend Dr. Mark Hyman's Ultrasimple diet. I know every BODY is different, but it is what I needed to break my cravings for sweets.

It's basically what everyone is saying, real food...
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I like the "clean eating" cleanse. You eat fruits, veggies, lean meats, beans, and it works wonders! You drink lots of water, and exercise is key too

Hit the nail on the head... guess what, your body cleanses itself! If it didn't, you'd be dead!
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    Silly me for believing my kidneys and liver were enough to "cleanse" my body.:ohwell:

They are enough if you don't overload your system with toxins.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Exactly what are you hoping to cleanse from your body? Are you addicted to drugs? Are you suffering from exposure to heavy metals?
  • stcar
    stcar Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    CLeanses are stupid. I have yet to see one that has one shred of clinical evidence behind it, let alone one that identifies any of the so called toxins it supposedly gets rid of.

If you suddenly go on a strict diet, after eating crap for years, you will drop weight. You're not dropping imaginary toxins.

i think dropping the weight is like idk kinda the point.....

and if you ever did one you can tell your body is cleansed because you can FEEL it

Yes, you will drop weight.
    There isn't any magical chemistry going on. There aren't imaginary toxins in your cells, holding on to fat.
    Healthy cleanses (juice fasts etc) are a great way for some people to start off a new healthy lifestyle. They can make you feel lighter, clear up skin and energize you. I'm not suggesting those "cleanses" that you buy in the form of pills at the pharmacy, but rather juices, veggies etc....it can feel amazing. You could read the book You Are What You Eat for ideas :) or go for a colon cleanse if you dare :)
  • greasygriddle_wechnage
    Options
    I did the 17 day cycle diet, dropped 13 pounds, and got me kicked started in the right direction. I never felt cleaner and "lighter", just pure, simple, clean food.....
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    what kind detox? laxatives like ex lax like a detox?

No.. there were no laxatives mentioned in this thread, and also, ex lax is not a detox. It's a medicine for when you can't poop on your own. However, I think you know that.
  • mhaynam1970
    mhaynam1970 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This may not be the same thing but when I have real fruit smoothie it sends me to the bathroom with in a half hour so I always have to be careful if I have one. It obviously does something to me.
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    Hello everyone.
    I am just getting started on this site and with weight loss. I am wondering if anyone could recommend a detox/cleansing diet to get my weight loss goals started.
    Thanks
    Beth
    This is a good cleansing diet:
    http://www.cleanprogram.com/support

http://cleanprogram.com/files/clean-program-manual.pdf
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    As many before me have said... I wouldn't focus on a magic potion, herbs, etc. Try a vegan diet for 10 days and consume a lot of water. It will clean you out internally and chances are you will see a few pounds come off the scale in addition to feeling better overall. I have done this in the past and it worked and always good to revist a few times a year.
  • Christinajoey2000
    Options
    I started off with a very simple 21 day cleanse in Jan 2011. Basically, you drink lots of water (and/or herbal tea), eat whole grains (like brown rice, quinoa, steel cut oats, etc--not baked goods) and fruit for breakfast and raw or steamed vegatables the rest of the time. You can also have a moderate amount of sugar and fat each day--I used honey and olive oil. You can have other things like herbs and spices, lemon, ginger, garlic, etc that are good for you and add flavor. No alcohol. No caffiene.

I cheated a little by adding organic beans or chicken sometimes and allowing myself 2 glasses of red wine per weekend. I still lost 12 pounds.

In retrospect, I'd say the main advatage was that it stopped my cravings and got me used to purchasing and preparing whole, healthy foods on a regular basis--basically, it assisted me in breaking bad habits. I've lost an additional 40+ pounds since then.

I felt great while I was doing this and noticed that I did not need to use deodorant anymore--a sign of detoxification? I don't know, but it happened. Science aside, to me, it just makes sense that your body would rid itself of toxins if you flush it out and stop adding them to your system.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!