Heart Rate Monitors

Options
Definitely in the market for a reliable heart rate monitor.

Cost is a factor, but don't want something that will break in 6-9 months or become unreliable.

Looking for a relationship with longevity with my new monitor. Have heard the Timex Iron Man watches aren't built like they used to be and Polar may not be reliable. Saw a New Balance monitor and something called a Striiv from Amazon.

Anyone have any advice they would like to share with a novice buyer, I would appreciate the help.

~katie

Replies

• pg1girl
    pg1girl Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Garmin 405cx gps/hrm. Love it!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    curious myself:smokin:
  • Steph1383
    Steph1383 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I got the Polar FT4 and I love it. Only cost about $60 through Amazon.
  • meg0013
    meg0013 Posts: 102
    Options
    i love my polar ft7. i bought it for $90 in store but you could definitely find it cheaper online.
  • tgaul
    tgaul Posts: 123
    Options
    I have a Polar F4 and love it. My friends have had theirs for over a year and have had no problems either. I bought a bowflex one first which I found not to be user friendly. Hope this helps.
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I'm curious myself. I'd like a waterproof one (I swim a lot), and I've heard chest ones are more accurate than wrist ones, but I'm totally confused after that, so if anyone can give me any advice, id be grateful as well
  • 2live4ever79
    Options
    I have the sportline hrm that I bought from Walmart for about $40 and it's been good so far.
  • katiebythebay
    katiebythebay Posts: 611 Member
    Options

Hey there,

Thanks for the response. Questions: How long have you had it? Do you use it constantly and is it water resistant? Do you think the calorie count is fairly accurate?

I am so ready to drive to walmart's to pick one up....not sure of MFP's accuracy on the calorie count on aerobic exercises or my elliptical's calorie count either unfortunately.
  • kyrstensmom
    kyrstensmom Posts: 297 Member
    Options

This is what I have....LOVE it.
  • katiebythebay
    Options
    I got the Polar FT4 and I love it. Only cost about $60 through Amazon.

Ooh, Paul (Mr. Ferris) got one recently. Waiting to see what he says about his, but he's only had it a short while.
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I love my polar ft7. Love it!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Forerunner 405 too (not the CX though, I think that is similar but waterproof) - but be aware that it is primarily a GPS system with heart rate built in. It doesn't use your heart rate to calculate calories, I think the Garmin models ending in 0 do, but 5 don't.
    If you want to use it for treadmill or indoor workouts you have to buy an extra foodpod so it tracks your activity without using the GPS.

For me, it's about perfect because I run or walk or cycle outside. I have used it inside when I'm doing strength training, but I just use it to get my average heartrate and then use that to calculate calories burned. I love it because it gives me contstant feedback on my pace which is really useful for me, although I'm starting to use heart rate more as a guide too.

So, make sure you think about what kind of workouts you will do and what you want from the HRM - then you will get one that is a good match for you.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    http://www.consumersearch.com/heart-rate-monitors/review

Polar and Suunto are going to be the biggest names given.

Just make sure that the chest strap has a replaceable battery (otherwise you just doubled the cost who knows how long down the road).

You should probably mention what purpose you want it for.

Reliable and cost effective leaves a lot out.

Some literally just give you visual HR while wearing it. No timer, no post workout stats of average or max, totally meant for relaxed use and curious where your HR is.

Add on stats after the workout, and watch, so it only records HR during the timed workout.

Add on zone alarms, visual first, perhaps audio as upgrade, so you can try to stay in a certain zone HR of your choosing.

Now add on ability to enter more stats like age, gender, weight, MHR, ect, so now estimates of HR can be given. If it doesn't ask for that much info minimum, forget it for calorie estimate.

Add on ability to have several zones, and time in each is recorded, for more intense specific workouts.

Now add on some self testing means to figure out MHR or VO2max or other self tests, and upload data to an app to for computer model training.

Now add GPS.
  • kcfrogge
    Options
    I scouted around Amazon and looked at the reviews and decided on the Polar FT4... just got it today. Unfortunately, I will have to lose some weight before I can use the chest strap, and ultimately the transmitter to go with it. So it looks like I got a nice, expensive watch for awhile, and will have to rely on manual heart rate monitoring until I get some serious time in. (I'm a very big gal starting out here, but hope to be down 100 by December with the aid of a reliable personal trainer here.
  • kyrstensmom
    Options

Hey there,

Thanks for the response. Questions: How long have you had it? Do you use it constantly and is it water resistant? Do you think the calorie count is fairly accurate?

I am so ready to drive to walmart's to pick one up....not sure of MFP's accuracy on the calorie count on aerobic exercises or my elliptical's calorie count either unfortunately.

I have had mine for about a month...I read lots of reviews before I bought it and it got great reviews. It is water resistant up to 1 meter (as I remember) for up to 30 minutes. Definitely not for swimming. The calorie count is accurate as far as I can tell. I got mine through Amazon for $179, which is kinda spendy if you're only looking for a HRM, but I needed GPS for running, so it was totally worth it to me.
  • kyrstensmom
    Options
    I have a Garmin Forerunner 405 too (not the CX though, I think that is similar but waterproof) - but be aware that it is primarily a GPS system with heart rate built in. It doesn't use your heart rate to calculate calories, I think the Garmin models ending in 0 do, but 5 don't.
    If you want to use it for treadmill or indoor workouts you have to buy an extra foodpod so it tracks your activity without using the GPS.

For me, it's about perfect because I run or walk or cycle outside. I have used it inside when I'm doing strength training, but I just use it to get my average heartrate and then use that to calculate calories burned. I love it because it gives me contstant feedback on my pace which is really useful for me, although I'm starting to use heart rate more as a guide too.

So, make sure you think about what kind of workouts you will do and what you want from the HRM - then you will get one that is a good match for you.

One of the main differences between the Garmin 405 and 405cx is the 405cx uses the heart rate in its calorie computations and not just distance/time, which is why I picked the 405cx over the 405.
  • katiebythebay
    Options

Hey there,

I have had mine for about a month...I read lots of reviews before I bought it and it got great reviews. It is water resistant up to 1 meter (as I remember) for up to 30 minutes. Definitely not for swimming. The calorie count is accurate as far as I can tell. I got mine through Amazon for $179, which is kinda spendy if you're only looking for a HRM, but I needed GPS for running, so it was totally worth it to me.

I read that in changing the battery, you have to send it back to the factory, no other options.

Has that been a inconvenience for anyone - does it hamper the positive affects?
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options

One of the main differences between the Garmin 405 and 405cx is the 405cx uses the heart rate in its calorie computations and not just distance/time, which is why I picked the 405cx over the 405.

OK, thanks for the info. I didn't do any research until after I got mine - as my husband bought it for me for a Christmas surprise!
  • heybales
    Options
    Personal experience on ones at different price ranges. All had replaceable batteries in strap, all but Garmin in monitor (it is rechargable).

CardioSport $40 about 10 yrs ago - plenty of options which was nice like audible zone alarms, heart rate recovery range timer, in zone timer, calories, but not enough stats to do accurate calories, post workout min,avg,max. Stopwatch, countdown timer

Timex $55 while back - some nice options with audible zone alarms, heart rate recovery at 1 min after workout stopped, time in zone, even less stats that CardioSport to get accurate calories, post workout min,avg,max, Stopwatch. Was digital and never had crosstalk in the gym, nor electrical interference

Polar FT7 $70 - upper zone alarm only, no countdown timer, setable MHR and enough stats for accurate as possible calorie burns, pretty simple really, digital, no interference in gym.

Garmin 305 $150 - GPS of course was main reason for outdoor runs and bike rides. HR functions of multizone analysis after data upload, zone alarms up or down or both, pre-programmed workouts by pace, distance, time, or HR (really cool on those, total training if desired), calorie burn not based on HR at all, but age, weight, pace. Totally configurable, love it. Kind of big for gym, hence getting the Polar lately. Upload data.

For the inaccurate HRM's I've always had (except Polar now), I know my tested VO2max, so just took data here for total workout calorie burn.

http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm
  • heybales
    Options
    I scouted around Amazon and looked at the reviews and decided on the Polar FT4... just got it today. Unfortunately, I will have to lose some weight before I can use the chest strap, and ultimately the transmitter to go with it.

Note on Amazon the 2 types of straps they use now.

You can get an extension to one of them, I saw it on Amazon. Hate for you to miss out on using it for too long.