How to squeeze in exercise every day?

Options
Hi All,
I am going through a hectic phase at work and i just hate not being able to take care of myself and
do some exercise. Its not only for weight loss, I feel exercise is a great stress buster.
My 6AM to 7PM is dedicated to office including commute.
Evening i have a sweet little daughter to take care of who needs me by her side every single minute. I too want to spend quality time with her.The only thing that was left was to get up at 5 and exercise.
But when that doesnt happen, I end up sitting in my desk all day long.
I wish i could take out 45-60 min a day for myself. I still try to get a quick 20 min walk in between meetings when ever i can.
How do you all manage? How you squeeze in workouts into your hectic day?

Replies

• stormcloud2012
    Options
    Sounds like you are going through a busy period - if it is temporary, don't be too hard on yourself for not being able to fit everything in, its only natural.

I can only fit in exercise by making it part of my commute, so I walk to work after getting off the train. When I need to drive, exercise just doesn't happen!

I wonder if you could spend some time with your daughter exercising - perhaps pushing her in a pram? Even pushing her on the swings at the park is a bit of fresh air and exercise for both of you.

I know what you mean about the stress relief, it really helps. Anyway, best of luck to you!
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    what i learned from my bodymedia is, dont sit. as soon as you sit, you burn very little calories. its almost more important to be standing or walking around all day than the workout (in terms of your daily burn). so take your daughter for lots of walks and stuff!!
  • red_jess
    red_jess Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hey there

I'm in a similar situation - I'm up and 6am and back home at 7pm to a two-year-old. I found a half-hour workout I can do at home and I do that at least once a day (either early morning, or when the little one is in bed - all I do is put on my exercise bra!). It's a combination of exercises and dancing to your favourite music. I guess you could dance around with your daughter, or if it's after bedtime, I just use headphones.

I'm putting in the link for the workout (not sure it's allowed to link to outside sites?): http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/exercise/take_5_plan/level_1.htm

Good luck!
  • bekahl
    bekahl Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation, up at 6:30am and only getting home by 7pm with a 2 year old to look after. As soon as we get in the house I put the tea in the oven/steamer etc and then we head out for a 25 min walk with the dog. This is also a bit of quality time for us as we chat, sing and learn numbers/letters etc along the way. Plus a bit of exercise for him. We even go out in the rain/snow/ice etc. Then the next hour is dedicated to tea a bit of play and the bedtime routine. He's in bed by 8:30pm and then I have to tidy up, pack our bags for the next day, iron clothes, make my packed lunch, put a bit of laundry in, load/unload the dishwasher and any other bits of chores. By the time I've finished I'm usually ready for bed and just go and snuggle up with my Kindle. But yesterday I had my weigh in and had only lost 0.3lbs so last night I decided to do 10 mins jogging on the spot in my bedroom before bed just as a bit of extra exercise. Think I might keep it up all week and see if it makes a difference to my weight loss next Monday. Think I might try the routine that red_jess has posted at night instead of just jogging on the spot as the dancing sounds fun :)
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Same situation here! I do longer workouts on less days and I just make it part of my workday. I also have to be up at 5am and I commute one hour to work. I bring my clothes to work and change there ... and I make myself stop and workout. I also draw out my whole week on Sunday night and plan my workouts. Lastly I choose a different thing every single day (with the exception of running that I love) so that I am excited to do it.

Good luck :)