All You Lifters ... HELP!

Options
Hey folks!

I'm looking for some substitutes. I know I could Google all of this and come up with acceptable mods on my own, but I'd rather go straight to the source and get suggestions from people to whom this is old hat.

Tomorrow is legs day and for some annoying reason, my women's gym doesn't have any weight machines beyond what's offered at places like Curves. Yes, this infuriates me.

I usually work out in my work gym (I work for a police department = AWESOME gym for officers and staff), but I'm on days off and the weather is horrendous, meaning I don't want to make the 40+ minute drive. I have equipment at home, or barbell access at my women's gym (which is 5 minutes away), so I'm hoping for the best suggestions to substitute the following moves. Any advice y'all can offer, fantastic! :)

Leg Press (Machine)
Leg Extension (Machine)
Seated Leg Curl (Machine)
Seated Calf Raise (Machine)

Thanks!

Replies

• fxst78
    fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Weighted Squats. Done.
  • BellydanceBliss
    Options
    when i was young and lifting on days i couldnt go i had heavy leg weights around the ankles and would tie something around my ankles to keep them together as in a leg press. Id lie on my back and raise my legs knees bent. id straighten them out in air then pull them back and would do reps of 20s or 25. Very good for legs for women. Thanks for helping me remember this as I get better I am doing this again.
  • MSgherzi
    Options
    Smashlee,

Yes, there are quite a few moves in fact that you can do from home. Dumbbells would help if you have them, but not absolutely necessary.

Lunges are fantastic for the glutes and hamstrings, especially while holding a pair of dumbbells. Walking lunges are even better. You can also lunge to the side instead of in front of you to change things up a bit. Try and stretch out your lunges for more of an effect.

Step-ups: Hold dumbbells in each hand (Or not if you don't have any), and have one foot on an object about 14" high (gym bench?), and "step up" with the other leg, then step down. For example, starting with your right leg on the bench, step up with your left, step down with your left and then with your right. This completes 1 rep for your right leg.

To make step ups more extreme, you could jump and switch legs. Start with 1 leg on the bench, then jump and switch legs mid-air. You can use dumbbells on this too to make it more crazy. Favorite move among athletes, especially high jump sports (basketball, volleyball, etc.).

As another post mentioned, weighted squats are great as well.

You can do simple calf raises on any ledge where you can raise on, especially good if you have some dumbbells to hold.

You can also do some jump tucks, where you basically jump as high as you can and bring both of your knees up as high as you can in mid-air. This one gets your heart going really fast.

These are just a few. You might want to also check bodybuilding.com's workout moves database and make sure you select "dumbbells" as the only required equipment for an idea of other lower body moves that you can do at home.

Hope this helps!
    Matt