Weight training for newbie

Options
fj62
fj62 Posts: 2 Member
I'm a newbie to this board and weight training. I have been a runner for a long time, but never bothered with strength training. Turned 40 this year and definitely need to add the weights. Is there a simple program(w/out all kinds of equipment) to follow? Is CURVES really worth it?

Replies

• fj62
    fj62 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie to this board and weight training. I have been a runner for a long time, but never bothered with strength training. Turned 40 this year and definitely need to add the weights. Is there a simple program(w/out all kinds of equipment) to follow? Is CURVES really worth it?
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if anyone here is doing Curves. It does not look like a very good program but of course anything is better than nothing. :laugh:

Are you looking into working out at home? Biggest loser power sculpt video is good. I have also heard that Power 90 program is good for beginners. Or just do a basic workout of squats, lunges, calf raises, deadlifts and for upper body, push ups, rows, bicep curls, tricep kickbacks and shoulder presses. You can start with 3-5 lb dumbells until it gets easy and then move on from that. Bob Harper from Biggest Loser has a book out, cant remember the name, but he has good exercises in his program. Maybe borrow some videos and/or books from the library before you purchase anything.

Good luck to you!! :flowerforyou:
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I went to curves for about a week and didn't like it. However my aunt (she's in her 50's) has been going for several months and she really likes it and seen great results
  • spooky
    spooky Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Curves is great. but like any exercise you have to have the nutrition program to go with it. I lost 35 pounds there and one of the ladies has lost over 125 pounds and 82 inches. So it diffiently works well.:smooched: :heart: