Caffeine! Weight loss resistance. Any experiences?

Options

Replies

• mncardiojunkie
    mncardiojunkie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are getting a lot of Caffeine and sugar from your habit and caffeine can cause stress responses in the body that leads to excess cortisol levels and fat storage. so cutting down may definitely help
    but will you be able to stick to 0 caffeine? honestly? maybe go for a goal of 1 small a day or I have 2 lattes a week ( tall skinny home-made) or I rebel and go back to my daily triple shot venti latte habit
    definitely try cutting down . look for other replacements (don't go diet soda try water/ green tea/ fruit tea)
    I cut down last summer and lost 30lb (not just caffeine cut down though I increased exercise and cut down on sugar (which is my major killer))

Here we go...an answer....you cut down on the caffeine, but also things too? But here's the pitfall. I know that elimination of sugar will boost your weight loss. But you believe that it was part of the reason? Okay, I'll take that.

I work out like a dog and I eat no sugar...not any a banana. I don't have lattes. I drink black coffee. Even the espresso has no sugar in it.
  • mncardiojunkie
    Options
    Wonderful! You will feel so much better when you cut out the soda!

:flowerforyou:
  • jimmie25
    jimmie25 Posts: 266
    Options
    Well, I stopped drinking coffee on daily basis because I felt that the caffeine makes me very anxious and hyperactive. I've been without coffee/caffeine for about 3 weeks now. I've been losing weight more easily over the past 2 weeks but I'm not sure if caffeine is the reason for that. However, ditching coffee has had an impact on my appetite though. Usually after a cup of coffee I feel hungry almost instantly, which means I also eat/snack a lot. Now the constant hunger is gone and I don't snack so much anymore.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    drink the coffee, I drink about 2-3 cups of tea a day. plenty of older men on my friends list drink upward of three cups or more of coffee a day. if you lose weight, it won't be because you got rid of the caffeine. if you like drinks, that's something good to give up, but coffee/tea, Aokay. and if you sweeten it, I am a proponent of real sugar, not that fake stuff
  • mncardiojunkie
    Options
    Wow, thanks for the responses.

I'd still like to hear anyone that has lost weight when they cut out or cut down caffeine.

By the way, the "old thing" was a joke, I didn't mean to offend anyone. I don't feel old at all. This extra 20-25 pounds on me is making me feel so. So I'm sorry. Didn't mean to offend.

To be clear, I work out everyday...seriously work out. Circuit training, cardio. I eat no sugar or processed foods.

I don't count calories (but I am mindful of them)

My tests from my GP show me to be in excellent condition. (cholesterol/sodium/etc)
  • MNFats
    Options
    Read the book "Ultra metabolism" by Mark Hayman, he explains that WATER HELPS YOU METABOLIZE FAT, SO IF YOU ARE DEHYDRATED, you can't burn fat well. Also, diet pop causes weight gain, I think the sweetness makes your insulin levels increase, causing you to produce more insulin than you need, insulin makes you store it or create fat, and fat cells resist insulin, causing a viscous cycle. Green tea, however, has weight loss properties and caffeine.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    My assumption is not the straight caffeine amount you are consuming, but the sugar/cream or whatever you may have in it!

Sodas/Coffee both have tremendous amounts of sugar if consumed the way I did!

I am a recent addict, now I think I've overcome it and only drink it because I feel like it and not because I have a headache. Also, I don't feel that I need to have it to make it through my day. I lost a ton of calories a day because of how I adapted my coffee drinks and cutting soda down.

If I were you, I'd try to cut down to a soda (can) a day and a single cup of coffee a day. Then later, start making soda a couple times a week, and coffee a little weaker.

Eventually you will be at a much lower calorie amount than you used to be, and that alone would make a huge impact. The caffeine might not make too much of a difference, but the stuff that goes with it will!
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I've read the opposite about caffeine! I drink a 1-2 cups of black tea a day, and it's never hurt me...It's usually the other stuff I'm eating that does. Maybe you should try and get from 1 pot of coffee to 1 cup of coffee a day? And then drink green tea if you're craving something later on?
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    I really wish you luck with that i have tried to give up the caffeine before and suffered the worst migraines of my life. My daughter has begged me to never give up caffeine again. She has said if she ever needs therapy it would be for the week i tried Atkins. (it was that bad) I don't drink as much soda as i used to but drink about 4 cups of coffee each morning. I'm in my late 30'S and i'm having a hard time losing but don't think it's the caffeine's fault i think it's because of all the crazy diet's of the past.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    I eat no sugar or processed foods.

This is the soda/coffee issue. If you cut down on those sweetie and replace them with GOOD OL' WATER, you will probably lose weight from it.
  • Helened12
    Helened12 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this helps, but on Saturdays my husband and I weigh in.. I am usually so excited thinking I lost something. This Saturday , well, I gained .9 he lost 2 pounds. We ate breakfast (same exact meal except he drank 2 large cups of coffee- I dont like coffee). So we tried an experiment, we both rode the spin bike for an hour.. he weighed in as soon as he got off... Lost another 1.1 pounds, I weighed in and gained a pound. How depressing is that? Was it the coffee? or is it because he is a man? I wanted to crawl back in bed and forget the whole day. :sad:
  • mncardiojunkie
    Options
    I eat no sugar or processed foods.

This is the soda/coffee issue. If you cut down on those sweetie and replace them with GOOD OL' WATER, you will probably lose weight from it.

Are you saying that black coffee and diet soda has sugar in them?

Now I agree with the concept that one's body processes that sub sugar like sugar and I can be resolved that this is part of my problem.

I drink black coffee, I consume no sugar, I drink 14 glasses 8oz of water a day. I won't even eat a banana (in part that I lived in Brazil and I'm sick of bananas and also because of the sugar content in them.)
  • mncardiojunkie
    Options
    Read the book "Ultra metabolism" by Mark Hayman, he explains that WATER HELPS YOU METABOLIZE FAT, SO IF YOU ARE DEHYDRATED, you can't burn fat well. Also, diet pop causes weight gain, I think the sweetness makes your insulin levels increase, causing you to produce more insulin than you need, insulin makes you store it or create fat, and fat cells resist insulin, causing a viscous cycle. Green tea, however, has weight loss properties and caffeine.

Excellent, I'll look at that book. But I cannot get past the taste of green tea. I find it horrible. Any suggestions with that?
  • jerrytball
    Options
    Well, I stopped drinking coffee on daily basis because I felt that the caffeine makes me very anxious and hyperactive. I've been without coffee/caffeine for about 3 weeks now. I've been losing weight more easily over the past 2 weeks but I'm not sure if caffeine is the reason for that. However, ditching coffee has had an impact on my appetite though. Usually after a cup of coffee I feel hungry almost instantly, which means I also eat/snack a lot. Now the constant hunger is gone and I don't snack so much anymore.

As i was thinking, maybe the metobolic rate increases by the intake of Coffee, thus causing you to be hungry faster, now that to cut it out, you are not burning it up as quick and so you feel less hungry, if that makes any sense? who knows...with me I know if I get hungry have a cup of coffee I'm no longer hungry, plus I have a cup before and after workouts, never have any aches or pains.which was another thing I read once.........personal note:> I did not realize I needed a adjustment by a chiroprator once until I stopped for 3 days once drinking coffee. I felt like hot oil being poured down my legs, I drank coffee, went away, so I thought??? Withdraws? stopped again a month later, same pain. Went to Chiro. she said a I was so locked up in lower back the nerves were pinched, she adjusted me, LOL my hair actually stood up, got cold chills, pain went away right away, so when I stop coffee and have a pain in back, I know time for adjustment LOL....beleive it or not if you Golf, I actually could turn more, picked up 25 Yrds on my drives.
  • mncardiojunkie
    Options
    I'm not sure that I can maintain the caffeine free thing either. I did it for about three months about 12 years ago. I can't say it worked or didn't. I couldn't last through it.
  • jerrytball
    Options
    I'm not sure that I can maintain the caffeine free thing either. I did it for about three months about 12 years ago. I can't say it worked or didn't. I couldn't last through it.

Since using this program one thing I realize was the biggest demon..Sodium...cutting fixes lots issues..I'm sticking with Coffee for now.
    16635797.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I don't get why decaf would have the same effect as caffeinated if the caffeine is the problem. Can you give us the link to the research you're referring to, especially the part about decaf? I am not a coffee drinker, but I drink tea all day. I do a mix of caffeinated and decaf (though caffeinated tea has about 1/3 of the caffeine of coffee). I mainly go for which flavor I will enjoy enough to drink it all!

It sounds to me like you just need to cut back on your caffeine. I googled caffeine and insulin resistance, and everything I found said that it can impact insulin resistance, but it's at high consumption levels. The indications seemed to be that a small amount of caffeine is fine. It sounds like you're drinking too much coffee. Maybe try replacing some of your cups of coffee with flavored water or decaf tea.
  • mncardiojunkie
    Options
    I don't get why decaf would have the same effect as caffeinated if the caffeine is the problem. Can you give us the link to the research you're referring to, especially the part about decaf? I am not a coffee drinker, but I drink tea all day. I do a mix of caffeinated and decaf (though caffeinated tea has about 1/3 of the caffeine of coffee). I mainly go for which flavor I will enjoy enough to drink it all!

It sounds to me like you just need to cut back on your caffeine. I googled caffeine and insulin resistance, and everything I found said that it can impact insulin resistance, but it's at high consumption levels. The indications seemed to be that a small amount of caffeine is fine. It sounds like you're drinking too much coffee. Maybe try replacing some of your cups of coffee with flavored water or decaf tea.

Sure, when I get back from the gym I'll post the links to decaf being as problematic as regular coffee.

I love the verseral reaction to the removal of caffeine. Believe me! I understand! I love love love love coffee...:heart: There is nothing more pleasurable than to see a lemon rhine twist floating in a tiny little cup of black expresso. I love good, black. coffee.

As one of my friends told me, "You need a 12 step group to get over drinking my coffee."
  • mncardiojunkie
    Options
    I don't know if this helps, but on Saturdays my husband and I weigh in.. I am usually so excited thinking I lost something. This Saturday , well, I gained .9 he lost 2 pounds. We ate breakfast (same exact meal except he drank 2 large cups of coffee- I dont like coffee). So we tried an experiment, we both rode the spin bike for an hour.. he weighed in as soon as he got off... Lost another 1.1 pounds, I weighed in and gained a pound. How depressing is that? Was it the coffee? or is it because he is a man? I wanted to crawl back in bed and forget the whole day. :sad:

No matter what the culprit is here, my dear, I feel for you. I DO NOT want a man as a weight loss partner.
  • jerrytball
    Options
    Here is a pretty good article I just found.....

8 Ways to Burn Calories and Fight Fat
    These healthy habits may help give your body a calorie-burning boost.(continued)
    3. Drink Caffeinated Green or Black Tea
    Caffeine is a stimulant, and stimulants tend to increase the calories you burn. One likely reason is that they give you the short-term impression that you have more energy, which could mean you move more. Caffeine may also cause metabolic changes in the body that can result in more calories burned.

"Even older studies have suggested that 250 milligrams of caffeine consumed with a meal can increase the calories spent metabolizing the meal by 10%," says Jamie Pope, MS, RD, LDN, a nutrition lecturer at Vanderbilt University School of Nursing. Over time, this could be significant, Pope says in an email interview: "About 75 calories per day translates to over 2,100 calories in a month’s time."

Over the past few years, some studies have hinted that green or black tea may have benefits beyond the caffeine they contain.

One study noted a reduction in food intake in rats that were given a polyphenol found in green tea. Another study, in humans, concluded green tea had heat-producing and calorie-burning properties beyond what can be explained by caffeine. When 31 healthy young men and women were given three servings of a beverage containing green tea catechins, caffeine, and calcium for three days, their 24-hour energy expenditure increased by 4.6%, according to the research from Lausanne University in Switzerland.

Drinking tea with meals may have another fat-fighting effect. Tea extract may interfere with the body's absorption of carbohydrate when consumed in the same meal, according to a study published in the September 2006 issue of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

While all these possible effects are slight, there is yet another bonus to drinking tea. Having a zero-calorie cup of tea instead of a beverage with calories (like a soda) will certainly reduce the number of calories you take in.