Replies

• Clarecbear82
    Clarecbear82 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    So that's why I got fat! Lol
  • Emilia6909
    Emilia6909 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I will read the article but responding to your post heading.

I will not at all be surprised if this is the case. I practiced "baby led weaning" on my last child and WHAT A DIFFERENCE in his approach to food. I allowed him to eat how he wanted and quantity he wanted, all by himself from the age of 6 months. By this I don't mean that I was irresponsible and would leave him with foods he could choke on.

Did you know that when we spoon feed a baby and they gag, it's not because the don't like the food. It is because we have pushed the spoon to far back into their mouths. It is a natural reaction for any human being to gag when they have no control over something in their mouths. In some countries where babies are hand fed, the food is placed in the very front of the mouth. Again... age old concept that we tried to out smart.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    agreed!! its not my fault i'm fat! its my parents!!
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    This article has little to do with "Spoon Feeding"

This study was done on Children that were fed baby food from a jar.

The majority of jarred food is packed with preservatives, sugar, garbage etc.

Although I understand the point of over feeding by what may equate to force feeding with a spoon, this likely has little to do with the results we are seeing.

Try the study again, with home prepared whole foods blended to baby consistency, then compare it to babies who eat "more satiating" carbs such as toast...

Before someone comes in and tells me I'm just advocating this because it's what I do with my child..My child has fed themselves finger foods or with their own spoon from the time they were able to use those little fingers.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    correlation =\= causation
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    What a silly article and study! I've never known anybody to pick *either* spoon-feeding the baby *or* allowing finger food. As was mentioned earlier, WHAT is on the spoon matters a whole lot more than the delivery method.

I've never seen anyone put the spoon in the back of the baby's mouth, either. Nor have I seen anyone manage to convince a baby to finish what is in the jar if he/she doesn't want it. They close the mouth and turn away, or spit it out. I've heard of force feeding, but never seen a normal human being DO it.

What the experts consider obese in a 6-year-old may not mean a thing to weight in adulthood, anyway.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

Although I understand the point of over feeding by what may equate to force feeding with a spoon, this likely has little to do with the results we are seeing.

Try the study again, with home prepared whole foods blended to baby consistency, then compare it to babies who eat "more satiating" carbs such as toast...

Before someone comes in and tells me I'm just advocating this because it's what I do with my child..My child has fed themselves finger foods or with their own spoon from the time they were able to use those little fingers.

Jarred food WAS full of additives; much of it today is the food plus some ascorbic acid (vitamin c) to retain color.
  • midwifekelley2350
    midwifekelley2350 Posts: 337 Member
    Options

my kids are far from babies and this is what i did (in addition to breastfeeding for a very, very long time). we didn't give them food until they were able to sit up on their own and show interest. they fingerfed themselves. it worked for us and they are healthy and have a healthy relationship with food as adults
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I'm staying FAR AWAY from the breastfeedign part of this discussion. Y'all have a child with a feeding tube for two years, and then we'll come back to what's "best".

I did practice baby led solids with my youngest. She is BY FAR my best eater. She voraciously tears into cavier, eggs, meat, beef jerky, salmon, etc etc. My other kids won't even touch the stuff. My oldest, who is neurologically normal, was spoon fed from 4 months to 1 year old. We've spent hours trying to get this kid to try to eat healthier food, but until we make it an issue, he'd never ASK for it. My youngest ( also " normal " ) will ASK for apples, carrots, peppers, quinoa, black beans, etc etc.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I was a FAT baby. I refused to nurse. But I guzzled that bottle. The doctor recommended my mom start putting water in it since I had what he called an "overactive sucking reflex." :blushing:

After a short while, my mom discovered it didn't even need water in it. I refused a pacifier. My bottle WAS my pacifier. It would dangle from my mouth at almost all times. I can remember the sound of chewing on the nipple.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I don't know if that's necessarily true... While I allow my child (who is just shy of one years old) to feed herself... there are time still where I spoon feed her (and I did in the beginning)... I watch for her cues that she is done and don't force her to eat... and she is usually in the 20th percentile for weight... And she will eat broccoli and green beans and just about anything I put in front of her without much of a fuss (unless she is teething or just generally doesn't feel well).
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Articles like this make me chuckle.

hehehe <--- that was a little chuckle.

Now let's get back to reality ... apparently none of my 4 kids were part of this case study ... I think we would have blown the control group! lol
  • ashquin
    ashquin Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    allot of the jarred baby food these days are NOT packed with additives and crap. Pick up a jar and read one. i read every jar i feed my baby and the only thing that is added to it is asorbic acid. there is no food coloring , dyes, preservatives etc. I dont know what your feeding your kids but its apparently not food made for babys

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    allot of the jarred baby food these days are NOT packed with additives and crap. Pick up a jar and read one. i read every jar i feed my baby and the only thing that is added to it is asorbic acid. there is no food coloring , dyes, preservatives etc. I dont know what your feeding your kids but its apparently not food made for babys

I agree with this... I look at ingredient labels... and even the Gerber baby foods (just the regular ones, not the organic or specialty ones) only had the fruit/veg it was supposed to have and possibly some water or asorbic acid...
  • ashquin
    ashquin Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    i totally disagree with you. jarred baby food is NOT full of additives and crap. i read every jar i feed my baby and the only item that is added is ascorbic acid. I dont know what your feeding your children but it must not be baby food.

• raisingbabyk
    raisingbabyk Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    We're getting completely off topic here as well. The article is about spoon feeding puree vs baby led weaning feeding themselves solids anyways... Not breast vs formula.
  • tinalatina
    tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I saw this on the news today!
  • ahinescapron
    ahinescapron Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Problems with this article:
    First of all, the sample size is 155 children (up to age six, which makes no sense)
    One study is never enough to conclude much at all- show me five more scientific studies that back it up and we'll talk
    The study is cross-sectional, so there is no way to establish the direction of influence (what causes what)
    They are trying to make a correlation look like causation
    Most of the argument in the article is based on conjecture...it makes sense that...blah blah blah (this means nothing scientifically)

Be an informed consumer of information people!
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    My little girl maybe ate 10 jars of baby food and a half a box of baby cereal when she was transitioning to food. She just didnt like it. She would never drink the juice, she would never eat the stuff out of a jar. But if I mushed up OUR food, she ate it. I was always there to watch her and would substitute mashed beans for meat sometimes. But the ingredients on the jars were just the fruit, usually another fruit and ascorbic acid and water.
  • leanmachinedream
    Options
    I didn't read the article, too lazy. I wish spoon feeding made my baby "fat". She's sooooo petite I worry sometimes. She's just small in every aspect, doesn't look like she's almost 2 at all. Everyone thinks she's a little over the age of 1. Uhh, not even close! She just has a small appetite and would rather play and dance than eat.

If I ever have another child, I'm going to practice baby led weaning. Only because spoon feeding is annoying as hell.