My up and down weight :(

Options
Can someone please help me understand what is going on with my weight? I have been doing MFP since the beginning of the year and in total have lost 15 pounds thus far. My problem is the pattern of the way I am losing the pounds. I will lose no weight for a week to 10 days, then lose 3-4 pounds in a day, then the next day be back up 2 pounds and over the course of the week to 10 days lose nothing again, then I will lose 3-4 pounds, and the trend starts over again. It won't just stay consistent as far as a loss and then a plateau, then a loss, etc. There is always the gain! It is very discouraging to see a number you can be happy with one day, only to be up the next day when you know you are still doing everything right.

I eat approximately my 1200 calories a day, never more and I have to admit sometimes less. I have started drinking more water. I have for the most part eliminated all drinks from my diet except for water. I will have a diet coke now maybe once a week, always from a restaurant and never get a refill - only allow myself the one drink.

I walk on the treadmill approximately 45 minutes to an hour every day except Sundays. I have started doing the classes at the gym which mostly consist of strengthening/toning/body sculpting with some cardiovascular mixed in.

I know I need to just move the scale out of the house and quit weighing so much, but it seems I have a compulsion to weigh every day. I moved my scales out of my bathroom to the other end of the house in the laundry room, but found myself just going to the laundry room and weighing every day anyway.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Replies

• lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm not sure what the problem with this pattern is? You are losing weight. 15 pounds since the beginning of the year is amazing. Keep doing what you are doing and the weight will continue to come off.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Stop weighing yourself so often. Weight loss isn't linear, you will not consistently lose even amounts. Weight fluctuates by nature. I am the curious type, so for a long time I weighed myself daily to get to know the fluctuations in my body. After a salty restaurant meal, I will "gain" 2-3 pounds for a few days, then it disappears (bloating from the sodium). Right before I get my period, BAM! A couple pounds gained that I will lose again shortly thereafter. As long as the all over trend is downwards, you are on the right track. If the fluctuations bother you, pick one day a week at a specific time, and only weigh in on that day (I always liked Friday mornings, first thing after peeing as my weigh-in day). If you do want to weigh more often than that, you have to be prepared for all of those fluctuations.

Throughout my weight loss, I would lose nothing for 10 days then suddenly drop 2 pounds. No rhyme or reason. Again, as long as the trend is downwards, you are doing great!
  • jsduncan52
    Options
    I can't explain a thing.....but you are doing great! My advice would be to keep doing what you are doing EXCEPT drink ALL your water everyday, weigh only once a week at the same time!!! I weigh on Wednesday morning, remember muscle weighs more than fat and also when you weigh heavy it could be fluid..I just don't know - but I do know you are on the right track - just note the way your clothes feel!!!
  • amdahwd
    amdahwd Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I am extremely excited about the overall weight loss, just wondering what I can do to change up that trend of losing and gaining that I am doing.
  • coopercp
    coopercp Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing really well, stop weighing every day!!
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    ditch the scale and get a tape measure...even when your scale shows you're "up" the tape measure shows a loss.
    measure chest, waist,hips thighs, bicep, and neck. check every 2 weeks and you'll have a smile on your face (instead of cursing out that darn scale).
    besides...you don't carry your scale around to show ppl a number, but ppl DO see you and can tell when your size drops!