Minor setback, then an epiphany...

I've always found a reason to walk away from working out and eating right, whether it is been an injury, travel for work or a lack of motivation. I've been on the road a month, working out from the hotel room and a local gym, and I've managed to lose 23 lbs. I find this all the more impressive considering the fact that this hotel has no microwave (thank you, lunch meat in the fridge).

I strained a muscle in my back a few days ago doing squats (who has two thumbs and decided that it would be a good idea to finish the set with a new personal max weight? This idiot). I've been down for a few days now. I can't push any weight, can't even do cardio because the jarring of my foot hitting the ground sends a knife into my back. Even the elliptical hurts my back.

The old me would have closed up shop for a few weeks and turned to food. Not now....what I realized is that I had to find alternate ways to stay active and, most importantly, watch my food intake even more closely. Surprisingly, chins and push-ups do not hurt my back, so there you go. I've been walking 90 minutes a day in lieu of HIIT cardio. The epiphany was this - THERE IS ALWAYS ANOTHER WAY!

I know that I'm not going to make huge strides over the next week or two while I recover, but this setback won't break me. I'll keep fighting, and I'll win this. I am not dead, I cannot quit!