Treadmill/calories burned

Options
2»

Replies

• skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4", 142 pounds, and 35 yo. I burn 300 calories running at 6 mph for 30 minutes.
  • danihonline
    Options
    You will never get an accurate calorie, but close. You can pick up heart rate monitors anywhere for relatively cheap. I got one the other day for $30 at Walgreens. This is the only way to really know as everyone's fitness level is different no matter what your weight is
  • smcolton
    Options
    I found this on Yahoo news yesterday. Not sure how acurate it is?????

You can also get a rough estimate of how many calories you’re burning per mile of running by multiplying your weight by 0.75. Multiply your weight by 0.53 for an estimate of calories burned per mile of walking.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    I do intervals on the treadmill and use an HRM for 30 mins- it says I burned 483 calories. My heartrate was at 75- 80% (168-179 bpm) the majority of the time. Is it possible the HRM is incorrect? I know when I'm done, I'm drenched in sweat.

What kind of HRM do you have? Some of them are crap! Mine is (Timex)! it tells me I burn 600 cals when in reality, I burn 100-150 cals.
    If you can't enter all your stats in your HRM (weight, age, gender, VO2 max), then don't trust it.
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    You will never get an accurate calorie, but close. You can pick up heart rate monitors anywhere for relatively cheap. I got one the other day for $30 at Walgreens. This is the only way to really know as everyone's fitness level is different no matter what your weight is

Don't even bother with a cheap HRM. Read my previous post.
  • noexcuses84
    noexcuses84 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Most tredmils when you press manual setting you can input your actual weight
    agreed. if u have a treadmill that allows this, do it. but 300/30 seems bout right to me, obviously its different for everyone and the more weight u have to lose the more u will burn to start with.
  • HBinOC
    HBinOC Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I am the same weight - I do 30 min ( 3-4 incline ) and go about 6.3 pace fast walking- and get 300 calories as well.
  • When I can't make it to the gym I try running at home. My treadmill at home is super old and left on incline because it's bolted. I cannot accurately measure anything so I use this:

http://42.195km.net/e/treadsim/

Treadmills at the gym should be fairly accurate - like everyone's been saying it depends on how old you are, weight, and level of fitness. There is no rule of thumb.
  • c_gilmore
    Options
    I do intervals on the treadmill and use an HRM for 30 mins- it says I burned 483 calories. My heartrate was at 75- 80% (168-179 bpm) the majority of the time. Is it possible the HRM is incorrect? I know when I'm done, I'm drenched in sweat.

What kind of HRM do you have? Some of them are crap! Mine is (Timex)! it tells me I burn 600 cals when in reality, I burn 100-150 cals.
    If you can't enter all your stats in your HRM (weight, age, gender, VO2 max), then don't trust it.

It is a sportline from Walmart $30--I did input my age and gender but not my weight.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    It is a sportline from Walmart $30--I did input my age and gender but not my weight.

That's wild. I never heard of one leaving weight out but doing those two stats. Usually the other way around.

Well, no matter, not a great estimator anyway, but I think leaving out weight would lead to more inaccuracy than age or gender.

If it gives you an avg HR during the workout, you can take that info here and get a fairly accurate calorie burn, depending if you know your VO2max or not.

http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm
  • c_gilmore
    Options
    I was reading the manual and this explains why it's incorrect "Tip: the more frequent heart rate readings are taken, the more accurate the calories burned estimate will be". I usually just check at the beginning of being on the treadmill and then maybe only every 6-7 minutes if that.
  • jennifershoo
    Options

If it gives you an avg HR during the workout, you can take that info here and get a fairly accurate calorie burn, depending if you know your VO2max or not.

http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm

Thanks a lot for this link!