Heart rate monitor confusion

Options
Hey,

I know there is a lot of posts on here already to do with heart rate monitors but I am very confused!

Do all good monitors come with chest straps? I would really prefer not to have to wear one and it seems odd that something you wear on your wrist can't pick up your pulse?! I have seen strapless ones but this involves having to place you finger on a sensor.

I wanted to get one as I heard they are more accurate for counting calories burnt rather than using the gym equipment.

CONFUSED!

Replies

• thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Yes, the ones with the chest strap are the most accurate.

I have a Garmin Forerunner 110 which I mainly use for outdoor runs, but it also has a HRM with it. I also just bought a Polar FT60 which I haven't started using yet, but plan to later in the week. The Garmin is great, even in the gym. You do get a better assessment of your calorie burn.

The Garmin has a "premium" HRM strap that is much more comfortable than the one that usually comes standard with a watch, and the polar one is pretty thin anyway. You might just have to get used to it. After the first couple of times, I didn't even notice it.
  • doornumber03
    doornumber03 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    you get use to the strap and forget they are there once you start to work out.....I wouldn't recommend getting anything but one with the strap.