Does getting your tubes tied cause weight gain?

Options

Replies

• california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I have notice no difference in my cycle since I had my tubes tied. It is exactly the same. I continued to lose weight because I kept working at it.
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I, too, suffer from PTLS symptoms and so do many of my friends and family who have had tubals. Please research this syndrome before you make any final decisions. I can say if I knew then what I know now I would have chosen a different birth control method.

I did gain weight after but I think that was more post-partum than due to the tubal and I am not having issues losing weight now.

BTW - I was 24 when mine was done after 2 pregnancies with complications. I did not use hormonal birth control on a long-term basis before either pregnancy. Still wonky and sucky as can be.
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I was almost 24 when I had mine done. 3 kids and tough pregnancies. They offered it to me after our second child when I was 21 but I changed my mind last minute. I did nurse my kids but cycle didnt go crazy until after our third.
  • mwoods4146
    mwoods4146 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I had the Mirena for 5 years and gained weight, but after I had it taken out I lost weight but gradually, plus I felt like myself again, it was awesome!
  • midwifekelley2350
    midwifekelley2350 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I think maybe yes.

For me, for sure, it has really changed my body's routine.

I used to have a 28-30 day cycle. Now it is 19 days.

I used to have NO spotting before TOM.

Now I have three days of spotting.

I used to have 5-7 days of TOM.

Now I have 7 days TOM + 3 days of spotting. ( My husband is NOT IMPRESSED ).

This is what having mine tied seems to have done to me. Mine have gotten to be every 28 days but I spot for a week ahead of time and my cycle lasts 5-6 days at least. My husband is not impressed either. But you know what I told him to get the big V because I knew this kind of thing happens. So he cannot complain too much.

sterilization does not change cycles although cycles do change as we age and they change as a result of not using contraception any longer. if your cycles are irregular, to see you health care provider. also, no weight gain with tubal.
  • emmamariez
    Options
    im due to have this done a week tomorrow hope i dont gain weight how long will it be before i can go back to the gym hope i dont need more than 2 days off from it ??????
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    It didn't for me.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Why would anything change? They put a clamp on your fallopian tube. Nothing is removed. Your hormones stay the same just an egg can no longer make it down the tube and is reabsorbed. If you notice any changes after a tubal ligation you need to be getting it checked out.

The only reason anything would change would be because you were on some form of birth control before the surgery that was regulating your hormones, period, weight, etc.
  • christianbabe410
    Options
    Getting your tubes tied is probably not the underlying reason most peoples periods would be out of whack. In most cases it would have more to do with stopping birth control. I had mine done 5 years ago and have had no side effects whatsoever except maybe the first few months while my body adjusted.

THIS IS SO NOT TRUE. I have not been on birth control since I was pregnant with my third child six years ago. Tubal ligation is the worst thing to do - they don't tell you about tubal ligation syndrome because they are worried about malpractice. Tubal ligations can cause women to develop endometriosis or worsen existing endo. I have endo that has been well -controlled with no symptoms no birth control since 2008 after a lap to clean it up. After my tubal my periods are 20 days apart and 14 DAYS long. I have a whopping seven days each month that i don't have my period and i have terrible cramps and migraines on that week. Tried birth control to fix it - does not help -- and I have gained 20 lbs despite daily exercise and a 1200 day calorie. Post Tubal syndrome exists and don't let anyone tell you that you are having symptoms because you aren't on birth control. DO NOT HAVE A TUBAL!!!!! GET A MIRENA OR STOP HAVING SEX. Tubals most often lead to hysterectomies - do the research - I work in healthcare.
  • christianbabe410
    Options
    THIS IS SO NOT TRUE. I have not been on birth control since I was pregnant with my third child six years ago. Tubal ligation is the worst thing to do - they don't tell you about tubal ligation syndrome because they are worried about malpractice. Tubal ligations can cause women to develop endometriosis or worsen existing endo. I have endo that has been well -controlled with no symptoms no birth control since 2008 after a lap to clean it up. After my tubal my periods are 20 days apart and 14 DAYS long. I have a whopping seven days each month that i don't have my period and i have terrible cramps and migraines on that week. Tried birth control to fix it - does not help -- and I have gained 20 lbs despite daily exercise and a 1200 day calorie. Post Tubal syndrome exists and don't let anyone tell you that you are having symptoms because you aren't on birth control. DO NOT HAVE A TUBAL!!!!! GET A MIRENA OR STOP HAVING SEX. Tubals most often lead to hysterectomies - do the research - I work in healthcare.
  • christianbabe410
    Options
    Tubals can also cause premature ovarian failure - which does affect your hormones and weight gain.
  • LisaUlrey
    LisaUlrey Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I am not noticing any weight gain. If anything, I am a lot less stressed...and we all know what stress leads to.
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different and everyone will have a different experience.

I HATED Mirena and had it removed after 8 months. I developed a cyst on my right ovary that I firmly believe was related to the Mirena. The cyst burst causing me lots of pain and the surgeon had to remove my ovary and tube.

During the same surgery I had my left tube tied and am so glad to finally be free of hormonal birth control. I took the pill for 10 yrs prior to having the Mirena. After surgery my period is on a normal cycle, it last 5 days and I do not have bad cramps. I was 27 at the time and have never had a desire to have children.

I do not understand how having your tubes tied could cause weight gain, if anything going off hormonal birth control allows some to lose weight. For me I have had an easier time losing weight since having my tube tied and stopping hormonal birth control.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I didn't gain any weight after mine. Many changes can be related to the birth control that you use prior to the tubal. They recommend that you stop using birth control prior to a tubal to see how your body will react. I wasn't on birth control prior to and saw no changes in my cycle.
  • christianbabe410
    Options
    I was not on birth control either and had not been on ANYTHING for years. I just found out that my tubal disrupted the receptors cells in my ovaries and now my body does not make its own progesterone and i have estrogen dominance. Those of you that "do not understand how having your tubes tied could cause weight gain" if your receptor cells in your ovaries are damaged, they do not know how to produce hormones correctly and you end up with estrogen dominance or deficiency which can cause weight gain. why do you think women who hit menopause gain so much weight. I am now 33 years old and officially in perimenopause a full 20 years early. I bleed every day and now I have to take OCPs which give me terrible cramp, I get migraines daily, and a whole list of other problems. Oh and I had a BMI of 20 the DAY AFTER I delivered my son, 16 months ago, despite a strict diet, exercise, among other things. I have gained over 20 lbs and my BMI is now considered overweight. I never had any troubles prior to tubal with weight gain in fact I went through four pregnancies and the day after each one of my babies was born I was back at my pre-pregnancy weight. Hormones actually help you to lose weight if they are in a correct balance and a tubal can throw that balance off. It does not happen to everyone but since my tubal I have found twenty different friends who have all had problems. I'm happy that you are in the few that have no troubles but there are those of us that do have problems. I am a dietician and I know what to eat and how to exercise and I am still stuck with all this extra weight.
  • christianbabe410
    Options
    Oh and since my tubal. I have developed cysts and chronic pelvic pain. I never had a cyst before or any troubles with my period. And in addition to this, I have gained another 15 lbs despite strict diet and exercise. DONT GET A TUBAL!!!!!
  • christianbabe410
    Options
    Thats great for you. I unfortunately had the receptor cells in my ovaries damaged and now my body does not produce its own hormones. i am 33 and in premature ovarian failure. I am on a STRICT!!!! diet (i am a dietician and create weight loss plans for others) and exercise constantly but my weight creeps up constantly. I hate it when people assume that one experience fits for all and accuse people like me who suffer of being lazy or not watching their diets. TLs are fine for some (my mother in laws was fine) but I have many friends who have not had good luck and end up with hysterectomies or worse. Please be kind to those of us who suffer and do not judge us. We cannot help the fact that our bodies are not like yours. If I could take back my tubal I would, my quality of life is terrible now due to it.
  • christianbabe410
    Options
    this is not true - the receptor cells in your body can be damaged and your own hormones will not be produced as they were before. In my case, it triggered weight gain (30# +), thyroid nodules, mood swings, irregular cycles last upwards of 15 days or longer, greater number of cycles, and now most recently - no cycles and horrendous weight gain despite strict diet and exercise. Don't do it. Don't do it. I was like you and thought well this will never happen to me and now my life is complete hell. Please do not do it.
  • christianbabe410
    Options
    Well I guess that 900-1200 calories is too much for an active person then. I guess I better cut calories down even more :( Terrible response, I'm sorry. Show a little compassion.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I have my tubes tied. Eating more calories than you burn makes you gain weight period.