13»

Replies

• babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Another WHOLE FOODIE Gal here!!:flowerforyou:
  • bkorman
    Options
    I watched "Food, Inc." a 2008 American documentary film by Robert Kenner and it changed my life. I knew our food was getting contaminated in more ways than one! So, now I'm a whole food person too! I cook everything from scratch and watch the ingredients, just like the good old days on the farm. In general - If God didn't make, then I don't eat it! I switched to McCormick brand seasonings - and always read the labels looking for additives. Also, limited whites (no white diet during the week) and absolutely no sugar. I drink herbal teas, coffee and made water my best friend.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that was an eye opening read.

I try to eat unprocessed foods as much as possible, but I'm an 'everything in moderation' type.

Agreed.
  • spoulsen82
    spoulsen82 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    i am not a 100% "real" food eater yet, but i am working on it.

i am reading the book now. i'm only through a couple chapters, but i already love his view and reasoning.

i also have to agree with some of the posts about "organic" on here. organic does not equal real.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    In Defense of Food and The Omnivore's Dilemma are both excellent books by Michael Pollan. Good reads.
    I am a 95% whole-foods eater. The fact that I eat mainly unprocessed, or minimally-processed food (I make exceptions for things like greek yogurt), eliminates my need to be obsessive about calories, the occasional bit of chocolate, or a pasta dish once every 3 months.

I know lots of people think that counting calories is what's needed for weight loss, and that's a valid point. But it's also restrictive and it can get obsessive. Eating real food means the calories you DO eat are actually nourishing your body, not just taking up space in your diet. I don't worry about calories because my diet isn't full of high-empty calorie foods. It's very freeing.
  • ashfuse
    ashfuse Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I read the Eat Clean Diet Recharged by Tosca Reno. I've been eating completely clean for the past 2 weeks. However, before this I was pretty much eat clean already. How long did it take you guys to start losing weight? I am doing insanity 6 days a week and do tae bo too some of those days (because I love it). Doing tae bo for the past 2 years and counting cals hasn't really helped too much as far as weight loss goes...I'm really hoping eating completely clean along with harder workouts helps. I'm getting discouraged.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else out there only eating whole foods? I gave up fast food, processed food that contained ingredients I couldn't pronounce, soda, and most forms of sugar. Yes, it's restrictive and it's been a little tough, but I am finally at the point that junk food doesn't taste good anymore. I am dropping weight quickly, my skin looks great and my hair is super-shiny! I watch the portions of what I eat, and log everything here, but I don't deny myself anything. I eat when I'm hungry.
    Anyone else out there eating like this? I had to switch after starting to read "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollan. Has anyone else read this?

I am also a whole foods eater, via the Paleo Lifestyle. The longer I am with this lifestyle, the more I am able to entrench it within all aspects of my life.
  • spoulsen82
    Options
    I read the Eat Clean Diet Recharged by Tosca Reno. I've been eating completely clean for the past 2 weeks. However, before this I was pretty much eat clean already. How long did it take you guys to start losing weight? I am doing insanity 6 days a week and do tae bo too some of those days (because I love it). Doing tae bo for the past 2 years and counting cals hasn't really helped too much as far as weight loss goes...I'm really hoping eating completely clean along with harder workouts helps. I'm getting discouraged.

how long have you been doing the MFP thing? and losing weight? from your awesome before/after pic it looks like you may be down to the exchanging fat for muscle stage (apologies in advance if you've heard all this before). weight itself isn't bad (muscle weighs more than fat). that's why they also have the measurements on here. you may not see the scale drop, but the measurements should look better!
  • LoveLivingHealthy
    Options
    i went to whole foods a couple years ago and its the best thing i ever done. i feel so much better physically and mentally!
  • LoveLivingHealthy
    Options
    What is considered "whole foods"? I get the processed part, but is steak or fish considered a whole food?

If it has a mother or comes from the ground, its considered whole foods :) so.. meat, grains, beans, fruits, nuts, veggies, etc.
  • auntkk28
    auntkk28 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Yes I eat whole foods and organic but I also allow a treat once in awhile. Not only have I lost 65 pounds in the past 14 months (I just found this site though, I started with Weight Watchers) but I also haven't been sick at all despite being surrounded by co workers that have been fighting colds and flu. I make all of my meals at home and only go out to eat once every month or so.
  • Inebriated
    Inebriated Posts: 271
    Options
    I eat whole foods 80-90% of the time.
  • spoulsen82
    Options
    i love seeing all the healthy eaters out there. some great stories! thanks for sharing.
  • renlewis170
    renlewis170 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread. I've been moving towards the unprocessed eatiing lifestyle, and I must say the more whole/real foods I eat the better I feel. I would say I've been about 50% converted to this point, and am embarking on trying for more like 90-95%. It's nice to hear there are others out there on the same path.
  • spoulsen82
    Options
    This is a great thread. I've been moving towards the unprocessed eatiing lifestyle, and I must say the more whole/real foods I eat the better I feel. I would say I've been about 50% converted to this point, and am embarking on trying for more like 90-95%. It's nice to hear there are others out there on the same path.
    that's about where i am too! the more i try it, the more i like it!
  • spoulsen82
    Options
    how do you all feel about eating eggs??? good, bad, "whole food" or mostly whole?
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    If you crack the shell and use the whole egg, it is a whole food. If you're getting something out of a box, it's processed, and you'll have to pay attention to whether it is whole, what has been added, and how it has been processed.

how do you all feel about eating eggs??? good, bad, "whole food" or mostly whole?
  • spoulsen82
    Options
    definitely the eggs in a carton, cracked and cooked! only way to go!!!
  • LoveLivingHealthy
    Options

organic eggs are considered whole foods, yes. they're extremely good for you.. they have omega 3 fatty acids, protein and i have heard they're a really good brain food :)