Type 1 Diabetes

Options
Does anyone else that uses this site have Type 1 diabetes? I recently started on a path to lose 100lbs, i'm on a pretty restricted diet, even beyond the "dieting" to lose the weight. I'd appreciate any feedback for what others are doing.

Replies

• BOATS52
    Options
    Not a type 1 but a type ll we might be able to help one another out ! John
  • ceraeh13
    ceraeh13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am T1DM and have been on an insulin pump for 4 years. I love this site.
  • stevevldz
    Options
    I've been type 1 since i was 12 and have been on the needle ever since. I've been using this website to help monitor what i'm doing nutritionally and how my work outs are progressing. In the last week, i've had to cut back on my insulin intake from 3 shots a day to 1 in the morning with a metFormin supplement. I would say this website is working for me.
  • Lonewolf1507
    Lonewolf1507 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Bump for a MFP friend to hopefully pick up on her Cell :-)
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm a type 1 diabetic. Diagnosed at age 12, no complications. I lost 112 pounds in exactly one year. No surgery, no special gimmics, just healthy eating and exercise. I also use a insulin pump. You're welcome to friend me.
  • Panda_1999
    Panda_1999 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Hi

I am an insulin dependent diabetic and I started here to track my eating and activity progress. Might I suggest you try this group for additional support. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/529-diabetes-prediabetes-and-insulin-resistance

Be Well
    Panda_1999
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    Mom of a Type 1 daughter she was also diagnosed at age 12 she is 17 now. My best advice would be ALWAYS keep your appointments with your endo, dicuss what your doing as far as diet and exercise with your doc so they can keep tabs of your levels especially after workouts! As long as you have your numbers under control there is no reason you can't use MFP successfully! Good Luck on your journey!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I'm a type 1. Have been since age 11. MFP really helps me to keep track of my carbs.

Join this group, it's all Type 1s, going through the same struggles you are: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/232-type-1-juvenile-diabetics
  • ch3tan
    ch3tan Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Add a lot of garlic to your diet if your diabetic (fresh or as a supplement). Say about 4,000-6,000mg daily. If you can do that you'll see a remarkable improvement in your condition.
    And as a bonus, you'll naturally become immune to vampires ;)
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Add a lot of garlic to your diet if your diabetic (fresh or as a supplement). Say about 4,000-6,000mg daily. If you can do that you'll see a remarkable improvement in your condition.
    And as a bonus, you'll naturally become immune to vampires ;)

This is ridiculous.

Talk to your doctor.
  • Panda_1999
    Panda_1999 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Opinions/studies on the health benefits of garlic seem to be split, but if you like the flavor there is no harm in using it. For other complimentary supplements you might want to read:

http://nccam.nih.gov/health/diabetes/CAM-and-diabetes.htm

Be Well
    Panda_1999
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Not diabetic, but in reading the health literature (medical research as well as "natural medicine") there is some pretty good evidence that some spices can help your body regulate sugar and insulin better. I wouldn't consider them a substitute for other care, but as someone else said if you like the spice anyway, might as well eat it and with luck you'll get some additional benefit. There is also some evidence that spicier food satisfies hunger with less food. Cinnamon is one of the other spices that may help people with insulin/sugar issues.