Avocados

Options
What do you do with your avocados? I have 2 in my fridge, I really like them, but seldom buy them because I don't know what to do with them! I don't currently have any salsa to mix up some guacamolie. Usually I cut them up on a salad or add a few slices to a sandwich. But the issue I have is that if I cut one open & don't eat the entire thing, it turns brown! Any good ideas on how to keep it fresh if I don't eat an entire avocado in one sitting? Even tho they're very healthy, they are also high in calories, so I'd rather not eat the entire thing at once. Anyhow, just looking for some ideas on what others do with their avocados. How do you like to eat them? How do you keep them fresh?

Replies

• pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Keep them fresh by adding lemon juice, then tightly wrapping and putting that in a closed container.

We just used one last night for a "cerviche" of blood orange, mushroom, grapefruit, avocado, green apple, shallot, mixed with lemon juice (and lime is good too).

I love them plain, just a bit of lemon juice on and eat up. They also make a good mayo substitute...
  • ovege
    ovege Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    They are very tasty in black bean soup or bean chili.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Or use vinegar if you don't have any lemon juice.
  • SuperKatie
    SuperKatie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Even if they turn brown, leave the pit in and you can just cut off the little bit of brown for a "fresh" looking avocado.

You can make a black bean, bell pepper, green onion, walnut "salsa" (add a little salt and cumin) and stuff the avocado half. It's great for you.

I also love to add this to chili. Or I eat it with a little salt for a snack.

It makes a great sub for mayo on bread if you eat sandwiches.

You can blend it up with a little acid (lemon juice, apple cider vinegar) and dip carrots in it.

Make a healthy dinner salad, chop with with tomatoes and some onions and dress with a small amount of dijon, or vinegar and olive oil and salt and pepper. Serve next to a grilled chicken breast.
  • sinistertitan
    sinistertitan Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I love them plain with some good 'ol cottage cheese.
  • jbdowns35
    Options
    Wow! these are some great suggestions!! Keep them coming!!
  • I never knew I could do so much with an avocado. i may need to try some of this stuff out. :wink:
  • 3rdxacharm
    3rdxacharm Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    From another poster on MFP, I have started mixing with a can of chicken instead of mayo. Excellent!
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    i like to eat them out of the peel with a little Tony's Cacheree (I dunno how to spell it) or in sushi

Also, I'm gonna try a black bean avocado egg roll

stuff it with some tuna

make a raw key lime pie out of it.....i could go on and on
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I love to slice it on a sandwich :) or make an egg wrap and slice it in that with some salsa
  • MILFdoesabodyGd
    MILFdoesabodyGd Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Avocado-Chicken1b.jpg

creamy avocado chicken salad. I find ways to make these kinds of things healthy, instead of mayo use cottage cheese. and no corn chips.

here's the link to the recipe: http://www.cheekykitchen.com/2011/04/creamy-avocado-chicken-salad.html
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I'm drooling!
  • SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I love avocados sliced up and just sprinkled with salt, but there's lots of other things you can do with them besides guacamole. We're having fish tacos & black bean salad tonight. The black bean salad has avocados - it's really good! Here's the recipe I use, but you could adjust any of the ingredients to taste.

Black Bean Salad

15 ounces black beans, drained and rinsed
    8 3/4 ounces whole kernel corn, drained
    1 or 2 medium avocados, diced
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    2 jalapeños, chopped
    1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
    1/4 cup fresh lime juice
    Salt to taste

Mix all ingredients together and serve!
  • EA1604
    EA1604 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Avocado-Chicken1b.jpg

creamy avocado chicken salad. I find ways to make these kinds of things healthy, instead of mayo use cottage cheese. and no corn chips.

here's the link to the recipe: http://www.cheekykitchen.com/2011/04/creamy-avocado-chicken-salad.html

This looks amazing!!!
  • l2rell
    l2rell Posts: 88
    Options
    Lol have just been having this conversation with my partner as I love them to but only like to eat half a day ?
  • KMSForLife
    Options
    I put them in my smoothies.

This morning I made a smoothie with light strawberry/banana yogurt, vanilla protein, spinach, almond milk, strawberries and avocados. It was delicious - provides a nice balance of what my body needs after a workout.
  • FlipThis112
    FlipThis112 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    This salad is amazing and so filling!

Avocado Wasabi Salad
    Serves 4-6

Greens of your choice for 4-6 people
    1 Carrot, shredded
    2 tsp Vegetable Oil, divided
    1/2 to 3/4 Cup Broccoli, chopped small
    1/3 Cup Toasted Slivered Almonds
    1 Recipe Wasabi Chickpeas, below
    1 Recipe Avocado Wasabi dressing, below
    Fresh Cracked Black Pepper

Wasabi-Tamari Chickpeas
    1 tsp Oil
    1 Cup Chickpeas
    1 tsp Wasabi Powder
    1/2 tsp Sugar
    1 Tbs Low Sodium Tamari/Soy Sauce

Avocado Wasabi Dressing
    1 Ripe Avocado, diced
    2 tsp White Wine Vinegar
    3 Tbs Hummus, plain or garlic
    1 tsp Stoneground Mustard
    1/2 tsp Salt
    2 tsp Wasabi Powder
    1/4 to 1/3 Cup Vegetable oil

Begin by whisking the dressing ingredients together, except for the oil. Whisk until smooth. If your avocado isn’t super ripe, you may wish to blend the dressing in a food processor. Slowly add oil until emulsified and the dressing is smooth, refrigerate until ready to use.

Toast your almonds in a dry pan over medium heat if they are not already toasted. Set aside.

In the same pan, add 1 tsp of oil and add broccoli. Sautee over high heat until the broccoli is beginning to color in spots and is bright green, but still tender-crisp. Sprinkle lightly with salt and set aside.

Add the second teaspoon of oil to the same pan and add the chickpeas. Reduce heat to medium-high. Cook the chickpeas until they are golden on all sides, using a spatula to loosen them as necessary, but don’t worry if they stick a little. Add the wasabi powder, sugar, and tamari and stir well. Remove from pan and set aside.

In a large bowl, add your salad greens. Add the broccoli, 3/4 of the chickpeas, 3/4 of the almonds, and 3/4 of the carrots. Toss with enough dressing to coat. Plate the salad, and garnish the top with the remaining chickpeas, almonds and carrots. Crack fresh black pepper over the top. Serve immediately.

If you are serving the salad later, do not add the dressing until the last minute.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I use 1 Avocado a week, 25g per chicken sandwich that's 5 servings and I’ve found it doesn't turn brown over the course of being cut open just 1 week. I keep mine in a little Rubbermaid, it's not as bright green on the edges as a fresh slice but it's not like a brown apple - that's gross. If you really don't like the brown edges it is a very fine layer and you could scrape it off and not waste much.
  • FitToBeFab
    FitToBeFab Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I put mine on eggs, fajitas, burgers, tacos, salad (instead of dressing), the list goes on. Pretty much anything that may be spicy, I put an avacado on to tame it down.

Also, if you keep the pit in, it helps it not brown as much. I eat brown avacados too, just scrape it off a little. It's what happens to avacados when they get oxygen, like apples do. It hasn't gone bad! Still tastes the same :-)
  • fitterandfabulouser
    Options
    You can make a great dressing to go with Kale and tomatoes. Mix avocado with a real lemon juiced, olive oil. Toss with Kale and tomatoes. Season as you like.