Runners, which would you do?

Options
2»

Replies

• Bringerofrain
    Bringerofrain Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Probably should do one or the other. Increasing both speed & distance concurrently is a sure fire way to let injuries creep in unless you have a very good base of miles from which to work from. Best of luck in both endeavors! :wink:
  • mrsspike30
    mrsspike30 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Generally it's advised to train for either a short race (5K), or a longer one, not both. You can certainly run in a 5K while training for a half, but I generally avoid it as running at a much faster pace for a 3 mile race can injure me and I might not be able to compete in the long events I've planned for the year. I'm much happier to drop a 5K race that takes a month to train for versus a marathon that takes 4-6 months.

I would suggest joining a local running club and finding some experienced runners to pal around with, groups usually divide by pace and it's a great way to meet other fitness minded folks and learn a LOT about running. The friends I made 5 years ago when training for my first full marathon are still good friends today. There is something about 26+ miles that bonds you.

Good luck with whichever you choose!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I would do both... one this season, one next season. That way you can focus/train specifically for each goal.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I have a goal of doing my first 5k this June any advice? I run 30 to 40 min a day in the mornings but I have my dog with me and I don't know milage or speed. Help

Go to mapmyrun.com to get an idea how long your current route is. You can also tell it your time and it willtell you the average pace. For running training programs check out runners world web site (co.uk or .com) and you will find some decent programs for getting to 5k.

best wishes.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the responses. I really appreciate it.
    The Half-marathon is in May (I think I said that) and the 5k is in the beginning of July. I like the idea of training for the half first, maybe I'll give that a whirl.

On that basis I'd train for the half and see how much I could improve my 5k off the back of the half. If I was still dissapointed with the 5k time... sign up for another later in the year. But I bet after training and running for a half you'll be hooked on them!
  • DontThinkJustRun
    DontThinkJustRun Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I love distance so I would vote for the half marathon!