for the ladies, weight gain that time of month?

Options
Ok so I seemed to gain a pound the day before I started and then lost about 3 lbs after that time of month. Is the timing just a coincidence or do we retain weight around that time? I know this is something I can google however I would like to hear some personal experience. Also do you feel ravenous that time of month as well? I want to binge right before I start. Thanks for any input :)

Replies

• purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    There are 50 million threads about this here, just fyi.

Most girls retain water around TOM, sometimes it effects me, sometimes it doesn't.
  • lmdb910
    Options
    Oh, sister! I'm notorious for gaining 2 pounds or so during my period. I was told to drink a lot of water, which helps combat the water weight gain (is this true, btw? Does anyone know?)

Also, I want to eat anything not nailed to the ground, so you are not alone!!
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Oh yes! I gain about 5 pounds at times around that TOM. It goes away a little bit after it's over :)
  • Spinelli2288
    Spinelli2288 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    It's mainly water retention. If you cave and give in to the munchies, it's that too. lol I don't gain, but it slows my loss a bit.
  • Erica002
    Erica002 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I gain roughly 2 lbs during that week, this past one though it was a whole 4 lbs!! *****..lol but it all went away as soon as my period ended.
  • stef827
    stef827 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    There are 50 million threads about this here, just fyi.

Most girls retain water around TOM, sometimes it effects me, sometimes it doesn't.

Good to know, I myself haven't seen these threads though that's why I asked :)
  • kimysc
    kimysc Posts: 12
    Options
    I'm glad I saw this....I weighed this morning for the first time and was so upset. I had gained 3 lbs and for some reason I never connected the two.
  • charlieduc
    Options
    I normally gain one or two and lose up to five when AF is gone.
  • qkidney
    qkidney Posts: 258
    Options
    Yeah its that TOM and I'm up 2+ pounds in about 1 day and a half. I too feel like eating that isn't nailed down - and mostly I want fast food... I had fries for lunch. I'll pay for that later! Oi!
    But generally yes it will go away after TOM.
  • stef827
    stef827 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    So glad I posted this, I'm not the only one! I felt like I was failing the last week because of gain and wanting to eat eat eat but yeah it was temporary! Thanks ladies!
  • Rapunzel24
    Rapunzel24 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I also either gain or don't lose at that time of the month. Its really annoying so I try to not even weight myself until its over!
  • sheila569
    sheila569 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Glad I'm not alone. 2-6 pounds from Ov to 1st day... been that way since I had my daughter 14 years ago. I didn't see any thread's like this either, and I posted one not too long ago wondering the same thing.
  • sizzler0123
    Options
    Glad to hear I am not alone. For pure calories in/calories out I should have lost the pound I seemed to have gained but there it was still stuck to me this morning and it is my TOM any minute now so am thinkning that is it. Frustrating though for sure!
  • aphillips8180
    aphillips8180 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I *always* lose! I think I'm one of the lucky ones. Of course if I'm not extra careful, I'll gain the majority back the following week.
  • cari4jc1
    cari4jc1 Posts: 233
    Options
    This past TOM I "gained" about 5 pounds total. This happened starting the week before my TOM and I didn't go back down until a few days after my TOM stopped plus I lost an additional 2 pounds. How TOM affects our weight loss is maddening sometimes.

As for appetite, I don't really see a change in that department, but I used to get major hungry.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I've not been gaining but tend to lose very little that week and then make up for it the next. This week I only lost 1lb and put it down to upping exercise but my AF was a week early.

Yes exercise and losing weight can also affect your cycle.
  • ElizabethObviously
    ElizabethObviously Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Just curious, how long does it take after your TOM is over, for the water weight to go away? I know sometimes it is only a day for it to go back down or more?
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I usually add in my head a weight gain of about 5lbs when i get my period. Don't weight myself a week before period or during and a few days after