How do I tell my boss???

Options
MrsLVF
MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
I am a nanny, i work (not live) in their home.
How do I tell my boss that they need to have the necessities in their home?
There are rarely any paper towels, or napkins or hand soap. And at least once a week no toilet paper. One day I asked one of the children if there was any tp anywhere and she told they were out and sweetly offered me the rag, and pointed to the only hand towel in the bathroom. This would have been nice to know ahead of time, needless to say i now come prepared with my own supplies. including hand soap,napkins, toilet paper and my own hand towel. But clearly the children need the basics too, and I don't think i should be supplying it out of my pocket, i am in their home. The 1st time this happened I bought some & gave her the receipt when she came home, so i could be reimbursed. But this is an ongoing issue. what to do, what to do?????

Replies

• burstchair
    Options
    give them a list of things they are out of and tell them you would be happy to stop by a store for them to pick it up. they will probably be so embarrassed they will go themselves.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Omg lol. What do the parents use let a lone the children? That's borderline neglect... You must have soap, toilet paper, and cleaning supplies. If you don't it's basically a disaster waiting to happen.

Think for the kids. Just let them know and be adamant about this bad situation. It could only get worse. They should be understanding and get the supplies.
  • ShelbyBeck414
    Options
    Be honest......communication is the best way to solve a problem!!
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    I would just tell them outright that there are a few basic essentials that need to be provided or you will and will bill for them.

That is insane and disturbing that such a thing could happen.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    If they can afford a nanny, they can afford some soap and tp.
  • MrsLVF
    Options
    If they can afford a nanny, they can afford some soap and tp.

LOL, they've shorted me more than once. By over $100.00 just gave me an envelope, and didn't say a thing.
  • MrsLVF
    Options
    Omg lol. What do the parents use let a lone the children? That's borderline neglect... You must have soap, toilet paper, and cleaning supplies. If you don't it's basically a disaster waiting to happen.

Think for the kids. Just let them know and be adamant about this bad situation. It could only get worse. They should be understanding and get the supplies.

Thank you, i've tried.
    Her answer for soap is having hand sanitizer in the bathroom (she takes it from her work)
    And clearly the no tp thing is the family norm as the kid had no problem with "the rag".
  • MaryB2
    MaryB2 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Between basic needs not being met and them shorting you on your check I'd probably just look for another job.
  • lumina0o0
    lumina0o0 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I agree with just about everyone, the best thing to do is talk about it and if they can't have these things in the house then tell them you can't work there any more. I don't make a lot of money, but I ALWAYS have those things in my home. and i'd hate to say this but it almost seems as though cps should be involved. those are basic needs along with food.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Make it official. Tell them you've revised your contract terms to include that the necessities (give them a small list of reasonable things like TP!) must be provided by the client on the days that you are sitting. Put it in writing or they're likely to walk all over you again.

Tell them if they're not happy with the additional terms you will have to look for work elsewhere. They'll more than likely decide that buying some basic supplies is easier and cheaper than finding a new nanny.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    p.s. she's not your boss, YOU are your boss. She is your client. :wink:
  • MrsLVF
    Options
    I agree with just about everyone, the best thing to do is talk about it and if they can't have these things in the house then tell them you can't work there any more. I don't make a lot of money, but I ALWAYS have those things in my home. and i'd hate to say this but it almost seems as though cps should be involved. those are basic needs along with food.

I'm with you, you're never too broke for toilet paper.
    And both the parents are college educated, with good careers, no excuse for not having necessities.
    But in that house ice cream is more of a priority, they are never out of ice cream, or donuts, or cookies. OK, sometimes they are out of cookies LOL

Thank You & everyone else: for all the good advice.:flowerforyou: It just confirms that I'm not over reacting to the situation.