Protein Intake

Options
I love this tracking program, I just do not agree with the protein amount suggested. I have been a competitive powerlifter for the last 10 years and I have to strive to get a mininum!!!! of 1 gram of protein to one pound of body weight.

Comments??

Shayne

Replies

• sparkey1
    sparkey1 Posts: 3
    Options
    I love this tracking program, I just do not agree with the protein amount suggested. I have been a competitive powerlifter for the last 10 years and I have to strive to get a mininum!!!! of 1 gram of protein to one pound of body weight.

Comments??

Shayne
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    the MFP guidelines for proteins carbs etc are very general in nature and not specific to anyone especially to a power lifter

I ignore the MFP guidelines for the protein, etc

you can customize them if you wish to change your ratios
  • angelinaz
    angelinaz Posts: 262
    Options
    Just go in and customize your settings! I did!!!!! :smile:
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Yah, customize .. I think very few people here follow the protein recommendations and a lot of us just bump over %carbs into %proteins so it doesn't try to tell us we're "going over".
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

Comments??

Shayne

You can manually change it to whatever amount you like, but as powerlifting uses ATP and creatine alone, I don't see how more than 1g of protein/lb of BW is going to help. If you eat enough carbohydrates and fat to spare the protein for muscle growth/repair, there's no need for excessive protein intake. MFP uses the RDA of protein, but the ACSM recommends 1.4-1.7g/kg of bodyweight for muscle building. Excess protein will be used for glucose production to make up for insufficient carbohydrate consumption, it won't result in extra muscle building. :smile:
  • jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    the class a friend of mine has taken they nutritionists there said the more protein you eat the less body fat you will end up with your body is what you eat the more fat you eat says it and the protein is better for you...
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    the class a friend of mine has taken they nutritionists there said the more protein you eat the less body fat you will end up with your body is what you eat the more fat you eat says it and the protein is better for you...

That doesn't make much sense. Does that mean I can eat 400g of protein a day and magically lose fat even if I am eating 1600 calories and just sitting on my behind all day?:huh:
  • hiddensecant
    Options

Moderate protein diets have more protein than most "standard" diets which will help lose fat more than a diet with the same amount of calories and more carb.

So it's kinda true, but only to a point. A balanced diet with good carbs are essential to that equation to keep those muscles fed and burning fat.

When you go on diets like atkins and excessively deprive the body of essential carbs, you will burn some fat but your body is also eating a lot of muscle and most of the "weight" loss is going to be water, especially in the beginning.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    this poor guy asks us what time it is and we are gonna build him a watch
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

Moderate protein diets have more protein than most "standard" diets which will help lose fat more than a diet with the same amount of calories and more carb.

So it's kinda true, but only to a point. A balanced diet with good carbs are essential to that equation to keep those muscles fed and burning fat.

When you go on diets like atkins and excessively deprive the body of essential carbs, you will burn some fat but your body is also eating a lot of muscle and most of the "weight" loss is going to be water, especially in the beginning.

Moderate protein diets haven't proven any more effective than diets containing the RDA of protein, actually.
  • happyhubbard
    Options
    this poor guy asks us what time it is and we are gonna build him a watch

LOL!:laugh:
  • hiddensecant
    Options
    Moderate protein diets haven't proven any more effective than diets containing the RDA of protein, actually.

MFP had me at 40g of protein and 165g of carbs ... I'd be starving all day if I stuck to that and certainly wouldn't be exercising.
  • hiddensecant
    Options

Comments??

Shayne

Yeah, 1g per pound is good when you're bodybuilding.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

MFP had me at 20g of protein and 150g of carbs ... I'd be starving all day if I stuck to that and certainly wouldn't be exercising.

Feelings of satiety are generally promoted by fat and fiber more than protein because fiber creates bulk and fat promotes the release of a neuropeptide that reduces hunger.
  • hiddensecant
    Options
    1g per pound of protein is perfectly fine.

I have about 0.6g per pound which is considered moderate.
  • angelinaz
    angelinaz Posts: 262
    Options
    I have a friend who is a Swiss watchmaker, Dave!!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    I have a friend who is a Swiss watchmaker, Dave!!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

LOL

this guy who asked a simple quesion is prolly screaming and pulling his hair out

welcome to MFP:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options

Comments??

Shayne

If your a competetive powerlifter than you should know what you need- You must remember MFP is just a "Guide" if you need more protein than eat it-

but the amounts listed in all catergories are off that is why I am constantl saying the MFP is a guide and people may need to tweak it to there needs
  • jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    all i have to say is your body is what you make of it,, if you eat alot of fat:huh: :huh: :huh: well then??????
  • arutherf
    arutherf Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    In my university health education class, we were told that everyone should get 1g of protein per 1kg of body weight a day. One gram of protein per 1 pound of body weight seems very high and unrealistic. We were also told that if your body doesn't use up all the protein it takes in, it will turn into fat storage cells regardless, just like carbohydrates. I set my goals to match my protein percentage based on my body weight in kilograms, and then adjusted the fat percentage to 15%, the lowest percentage of fat your body should take in in a day, and then the rest went to carbohydrates.