exercising when full of a cold?

Options
So i'm absolutely full of a cold, struggling to breathe through my nose at all and i just generally feel pretty vile. should i still be going to the gym and just not working quite as hard so that i don't struggle with my breath, or should i just wait till this cold goes?
Im honestly clueless.

Replies

• shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Absolutely don't go to the gym. Your body needs all of its energy to fight off the virus.
  • BGabbart
    BGabbart Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat and don't have the energy to work out. I am going to rest.
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    The best exercise in that case is to go outside and take a walk - whatever pace you are comfortable with. Going to the gym will not be appreciated by those who don't want to catch your cold, and when you feel that run down, your body is telling you to REST. Stick to your cals goal, and rest or exercise very lightly. Fresh air is good for you.....gym air probably has other viruses that you will be much more susceptible to because your immune system is already having to fight.
  • LiviLou2011
    LiviLou2011 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Wait till your cold goes away, nobody else wants a cold so then they cant go workout either..just saying we dont wanna spread the germs!
  • Akijade
    Akijade Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    If you're sick, the last thing you want to do is overwork yourself. Like others have said, stick to your calorie goals and rest. Your body is working harder than usual to get rid of the illness.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    go to the gym and spread the germs around. that will hinder everyone elses fitness level and weight loss. then you will be queen of the mountain.
  • DaniellePF
    DaniellePF Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I think the general rule of thumb is that if your symptoms are above the neck you can still work out. HOWEVER, I followed that rule and ended up relapsing 2 times worse than the original virus. So, if you do anything, maybe go for a walk. Also, can I take it in another direction and ask that you not be one of those people that goes to the gym knowing they are sick and get others sick as well? I mean, some people are in positions in their lives (i.e. a baby at home) where they really can't get sick. just sayin.:flowerforyou: Also, hope you fell better, being sick sucks!
  • lovinbeinold
    Options
    Another thing to consider is that you have a bad cold and would be exposing others to it. Stay home and stay warm and take care of yourself. They gym will still be there and so will your body. Take care of it. This isn't national security and losing a few days of gym exercise won't amount to a hill of beans over time. You'll be fine.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    trust me. just got finished with the flu, i tried exercising during it and literally couldnt breathe because of coughing so hard. definitely rest as much as possible. itll pass but itll take longer to pass if you try to fight your body.
  • DaniellePF
    DaniellePF Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    go to the gym and spread the germs around. that will hinder everyone elses fitness level and weight loss. then you will be queen of the mountain.

I heart you!
  • CoralBreeze
    Options
    There's just so much conflicting advice everywhere, i though't i'd ask you guys. I have to run up and down 6 flights of stairs a few times a day at work anyway so i guess that's better than nothing, right? my nose is just completely blocked and obviously that's not going to help me at the gym.
  • CoralBreeze
    Options

This made me giggle!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Well, no one wants to get sick, so for that reason stay home. If it is just a head cold, you can exercise. If it is below the neck, doctors recommend not exercising.
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I had a cold a couple of weeks ago I looked up this question on line and found the following guide lines.

If the virus is effecting below your neck (chest, joints etc) do not train
    Do not push yourself when you are not well, if the virus is only effecting above your neck and you feel like you can and must train drop the rate way down, maybe 50%
  • Bellyroll
    Options
    Nope, don't you dare. Your body is already fighting a war. Don't complicate things,work out when you feel better.You need all the energy you have to fight off the invaders.
  • neclar
    neclar Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'd say just rest a few days. your body needs time to to get better. I like to walk a little bit to get fresh air when i'm sick, it makes me feel better. but you really need to rest up. thats just my opinion. hope it helps and hope you get better soon .
  • CoralBreeze
    Options
    Thank you everyone. you're all wonderful :)
    I think i'm definitely going to give the gym a miss tomorrow, and see how i feel after that. Like i said i can be quite active at work so hopefully that'll be enough if i stay within my calorie limit too :)
  • BevsCalerieCount
    BevsCalerieCount Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    No you should not go to the gym, the rule of thumb is... if you have respitory issues don't workout, if it is just a head cold go for it and make sure you wipe everything down so the rest of us don't catch the germs.
  • Keithtron
    Options
    I've had sinus/throat/respiratory problems, and I just found out it's because I'm allergic to my dog. It's been ongoing for months, but I can't let it derail my working out indefinitely, so I just work through it. Sometimes I'll take a scoop of N.O.-Xplode to get me kick started, and it helps BIG TIME! Going to try some Jack3d too, I've heard good things about it.

If you do decide to take pre-workout products like that, try not to get dependent on them, and only use them when you really need that extra kick. And use very moderate amounts, they're very powerful products.