Do you know where I could go on the web to

Options
Georg
Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
get serious information on weight loss issues? Many of us here speak from personal experience, but I'm looking for some scientific research based info.
Such as - if you over eat for a day, how long until that gain shows up on the scale?
And if you burn more calories than you eat, how long until the loss shows on the scale? It doesn't seem to happen immediately.
If the calories are non-nutritious but lower than BMR, do you still lose?
What's the real story on healthy weight loss?

Replies

• Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    get serious information on weight loss issues? Many of us here speak from personal experience, but I'm looking for some scientific research based info.
    Such as - if you over eat for a day, how long until that gain shows up on the scale?
    And if you burn more calories than you eat, how long until the loss shows on the scale? It doesn't seem to happen immediately.
  • meryl135
    meryl135 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    It would be safe to say that the real story on weight-loss is unique to each person. We all have very distinct biochemistry and our body-composition also differs. With that said, if you're looking for "scientific research" go to pubmed.com
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Hi Idont know but there is a doctor on the Diabetes support group That is helping us and he may be able to answer you question. He is taking questions and Helping us the link is
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/46897-diabetes-support-group-part-1

He may be able to tell you. Caliecat
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Check out Weight Watchers website, under the science section. they go into scientific detail and have a lot of great info...
    http://www.weightwatchers.com/health/sciencecenter/index.aspx
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I don't know of such a site. When I want to find the answer to a specific question, I google the question. What I find is a LOT of people making all sorts of assertions, with hardly any clinical data to back up their claims. But sometimes I find references to studies too.
    I haven't found any scientific back-up for this, but the nutritional experts on my triathlon board claim it's about 2 days before the food you eat is usable by your body.
    Well, that's easy. :happy: Yes, you do. It's calories in - calories out.
    Honestly, I don't think anyone knows. There's not enough study on so much of the advice we're given. We know some things, but a lot of guidelines are not scientific, unfortunately. Some of the rest is subject to interpretation, too.