• yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Kashi Go Lean Crunch is my new fav!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Kashi - yum!

MANY are higher fiber, higher protein, lower sugar. Some Kashi cereals have better stats than others. Mostly, you can't go wrong here.

Kashi Faves:

Heart to Heart Warm Cinnamon (like cinnamon cheerios)

Heart to Heart Cinnamon Harvest (like cinnamon shredded wheat)

Kashi Go Lean (the "crunches" have waaay too many calories for me) ... I like Go Lean on top of yogurt with berries.
  • Cross_fitter
    Options
    Oats are your only healthy cereal. add some banana or whatever fruit you like. Other packaged cereals are high in sugar and carbs. You could also try eggs on toast for a high protein start to the day.
  • Cross_fitter
    Options
    ......researchers found rats lived longer on plain water than with puffed wheat cereal. The study found rats lived over a year when fed unprocessed whole wheat. Yet when that wheat was puffed into a cereal and fed to the animals, it killed them off in less than two weeks. Rats fed plain water lived for two months, far longer than those fed cereal.
    This does not even account for the infamous health effects of the corn syrup, fructose and other sugars found in most breakfast cereals, nor the disease-producing effects of trans fats and damaged oils......

http://lindaprout.com/nodietblog/2008/07/21/death-by-breakfast-cereals/
  • TeaBea
    Options
    ORIGINAL Special K has good protein stats, fiber not so much. Add fresh fruit that has a decent fiber count and you're good.
  • garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I like Kashi Go Lean Crunch, it's essentially a meal. Since I've started eating it regularly, other cereals don't do it for me on their own. I feel undernourished unless I supplement them with something else. With the Kashi, I don't snack, or overeat at lunch, because breakfast was filling.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Oats are your only healthy cereal. add some banana or whatever fruit you like. Other packaged cereals are high in sugar and carbs. You could also try eggs on toast for a high protein start to the day.

I know some of the Kashi cereals do not have any sugar in them. Fiber 1 original has no sugar in it. Oatmeal is also high in carbs and is pretty comparable with Fiber 1.
  • TeaBea
    Options

I know some of the Kashi cereals do not have any sugar in them. Fiber 1 original has no sugar in it. Oatmeal is also high in carbs and is pretty comparable with Fiber 1.

Be careful with Fiber 1 - it has chicory root. Some people (myself included) have trouble digesting chicory root.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I love cereal (grape nuts are my favorite, but I love most of them!), I don't really like oatmeal, but what you can do is just eat the oats in milk without cooking, and it's a lot like cereal (like a mueslix). Add fruit and it can keep you from missing the less healthy foods somewhat. I'm even curious about toasting them in the oven to crisp them up before hand, though I've never tried that.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Be careful with Fiber 1 - it has chicory root. Some people (myself included) have trouble digesting chicory root.

I hadn't heard this, but after you mentioned it I checked. I could be wrong (I am not home, the box is there) but from what i can find, it is the bars that have chicory root, not the original cereal.
  • 232to125
    Options
    Homemade instant oatmeal,...just toast old fashion oats in a pan, I always burn them in the oven,...you just want them slightly brown,...then whirl then in a food processor for a couple pulses,....to serve just add hot water and whatever you wish to add....I make this 10 lbs at time and store in the freezer.....It's waaay cheaper than individual packages and taste better too!

Have a blessed day!
  • TeaBea
    Options

I hadn't heard this, but after you mentioned it I checked. I could be wrong (I am not home, the box is there) but from what i can find, it is the bars that have chicory root, not the original cereal.

Aaah - that would be good. I had cereal, but one of the "new flavors" - bad news (for me anyway).
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I should have specified I was looking for cold cereal. Not oatmeal...

I've had the Kashi Go Lean Crunch...good stuff. Also the Peanut Butter Multigrain Cheerios are good.
  • Whitetail24
    Whitetail24 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Fiber 1 for me. All Bran
  • mrsbrewha
    Options
    kashi go lean crunch or fiber one 80 calorie honey squares is good too!
  • purseus
    Options
    i eat natures path organic instant oatmeal they a variety of flavors and all good for you
  • rc630
    rc630 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I like the plain wheat puffs from Kroger (or whatever generic grocery store brand you have)
  • BuceesNana
    BuceesNana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I eat Rice Chex. They are good, 100 calories for a cup and gluten-free.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,016 Member
    Options
    Kashi have people climbing treeing ,so it must be good.