a couple questions about 30 Day Shred.. please help!

Options
Hey everyone..
i've been checking out previous threads on the Jillian Michaels 30-Day Shred. I think I'm jumping on the bandwagon and buying it! I go on a cruise in about a month, so I think this is a great way finish getting ready!

I have a few questions::

1. If I don't have a HRM (I'm going to invest in one, just can't afford it right now with my on-campus job!), is there a "ballpark" estimate of about how many calories you burn in one of the 20-min workouts (so I can eat some/most of my exercise calories - mostly as "recovery food" for my muscles and such: chocolate milk, YUM!)

2. i am also training for the Peachtrree Road Race in Atlanta (wahoo!); i take it there is nothing wrong with doing her workout video in addition to a 4-5 mile run (the run only taking place 2-3 times/week, Jillian Michaels DVD everyday)

also, let me know what you think of the 30-Day Shred.
Likes? Dislikes? RESULTS?!

thanks!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• abbylove08
    abbylove08 Posts: 215
    Options
    Hey everyone..
    i've been checking out previous threads on the Jillian Michaels 30-Day Shred. I think I'm jumping on the bandwagon and buying it! I go on a cruise in about a month, so I think this is a great way finish getting ready!

1. If I don't have a HRM (I'm going to invest in one, just can't afford it right now with my on-campus job!), is there a "ballpark" estimate of about how many calories you burn in one of the 20-min workouts (so I can eat some/most of my exercise calories - mostly as "recovery food" for my muscles and such: chocolate milk, YUM!)

2. i am also training for the Peachtrree Road Race in Atlanta (wahoo!); i take it there is nothing wrong with doing her workout video in addition to a 4-5 mile run (the run only taking place 2-3 times/week, Jillian Michaels DVD everyday)

• sculpy3
    sculpy3 Posts: 17
    Options
    I would love to hear some of these answers I am getting it here soon also. :happy:
  • kareeves71
    Options
    I actually plan on getting that DVD next week, but I did pick up "No More Trouble Zones" and I can't finish all of it yet. It will be really great for keeping toned. When you do the 30 day for a while let us know how it is.:smile:

170630.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter
  • stef_e_b
    stef_e_b Posts: 593
    Options
    I found it really intense but I'm not in good shape. My friend who is in much better shape than I am found it really tough too. I have no idea on the cals burned but I know I feel starving after.
  • codykitty
    codykitty Posts: 729
    Options
    hi!

I don't have a HRM either, and I enter 30day shred under the "Calisthenics" section in exercise, it seems to be very close to the calories people have said in the past that they burned doing this workout.

It is fine to do both workouts, I will work out in the gym for 30 to 60mins sometimes and then come home and do 30 day shred. Just be careful and give urself at least 1 day a week to rest and rebuild muscle.

my 2 cents.
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    abbylove--bought the reebok precision xt hrm from buy.com for 29.99 and no shipping. lauryn1981 recommended it and i love it!
    so you might not need to save up as long as for a hrm.

you can also google calories burned BLANK and it'll bring you lists of sites that will help you figure it out.

hth
  • abbylove08
    Options
    thanks for the advice everyone!

one more question: are rest days built in to the 30-Day Shred? are rest days recommended (I would assume that a rest day 1x/week would be recommended for any work-out plan, right?)
  • musicmom04
    musicmom04 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone..

i've been doing it for a couple of months. i just moved up to level 2 yesterday, and i burned the same amount of calories i had been burning on level 1. i'm 5'1" 170 lbs and 30 yrs old, and i usually burn around 250 calories.

it shouldn't effect your running, although the first time i did it, my calves were sore the next day.

i really like it, it really gets my heart rate up and i've seen a huge improvement in my stamina since day 1. good luck! :smile:
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    You should take 1 day off a week, and that's built in. I burn around 200 calories on level 1 and 2 individually. I am at 195 pounds. You can do other exercises too. I do. I lost 6 pounds in the first 12 days doing it (10 actual days of the program with 2 rest days). I am midway through level 2 now. I feel a lot stronger, especially in the ab area. I cannot do every single rep, but I try my darndest!
  • MyQuinney
    MyQuinney Posts: 42
    Options
    Hey everyone..

Wow! Good luck on the race! I'm training for a local race here, too! I've just gotten back into running again. How long have you been a runner? I'm just waiting for my dvd to arrive in the mail! I run at the moment, 4-5 times a week. I'm not sure what I'll do once I have the dvd. I'm hoping to keep running 4x anyway. How far is the race you're training for?
  • abbylove08
    Options
    I've been a "runner" (running competitively) for about a year and a half, but I haven't been running as much as I used to. The last time I ran was a 5K at the beginning of March (...yikes!)
    But I'm ready to get back into my normal routine, which is::
    3-4 days/week, with runs ranging from 3-4 miles each time.
    I went to halhigdon.com and bookmarked his 10K Training Plan, and I hope to start that when I get home from the beach (although I will be running at the beach! what a great workout!).

The race I'll be running is a 10K (6.2 miles). It's on the 4th of July. Can't Wait!
    When I get the DVD, I'm going to try to start with running at least 3 times a week, then bump it up to 4 or 5 when the 10K is about 8 weeks away. I can't run everyday because of daggum shin splints!

Good luck with your running!
  • MyQuinney
    MyQuinney Posts: 42
    Options
    I've been a "runner" (running competitively) for about a year and a half, but I haven't been running as much as I used to. The last time I ran was a 5K at the beginning of March (...yikes!)
    I went to halhigdon.com and bookmarked his 10K Training Plan, and I hope to start that when I get home from the beach (although I will be running at the beach! what a great workout!).

The race I'll be running is a 10K (6.2 miles). It's on the 4th of July. Can't Wait!
    When I get the DVD, I'm going to try to start with running at least 3 times a week, then bump it up to 4 or 5 when the 10K is about 8 weeks away. I can't run everyday because of daggum shin splints!

Hey! Good luck with your running, too! There's a great article in Runner's World Magazine that has stretches designed just for shin splints! Ones to help recover and ones to help prevent. You could probably go to the website and find it, too. I'm aiming for a 5k at the beginning of May. It's my first race after SERIOUSLY training since I had a stress fracture. Let me know what you think!
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

I've been doing the shred for a little over a mnth
    From what I've read on the boards (I don't have a HRM) the sessions burn roughly 200cals (give/take)
    I prefer level 2 (with some modification)
    I actually find it easier than level 1
    I have been doing level 2 almost daily for 2 weeks and tried level 1 yesterday and it kicked my behind...LOL
    I think it has definetly toned up my arms/legs but hasn't been doing enough for my core/tummy

Kim
  • supersarah79
    Options
    I bought 30 day shred about three weeks ago. I have not done it every day but am using it in combination with my tri training for the strength days. I think it is a good "at home workout." It has toned my arms and shoulders. I think it is a good work out for only being 20 mins. If it is bad weather and I know I can't get any other cardio in I will do both workout one and two. Workout three is tough, I can't complete all the reps. I didn't find it very informative about an actual schedule, I think that might be on the web site that I haven't been too. But I think for weight loss it needs to be done with running or other cardio. I was also wondering about calories burned, so thanks for asking, this helped me out too.
  • beyondchowhound
    beyondchowhound Posts: 2,102 Member
    Options
    What is the 30 day shred? Do I need to get it? Does it use weights or is it just a cardio workout? Can I buy it in a store? Like Walmart?
  • musicmom04
    musicmom04 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    What is the 30 day shred? Do I need to get it? Does it use weights or is it just a cardio workout? Can I buy it in a store? Like Walmart?

it's a workout dvd by jillian michaels from the biggest loser. she does circuits of strength, cardio, and abs...the dvd has 3 different levels, each of which are 20 minutes. she does use hand weights. they do sell it in stores, but i ordered mine on netflix first to see if i liked it. or you could go to you tube and look for it to see what it's about. i think people who have on demand with their cable get it for free it the excercise section
  • katrana
    katrana Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    WOW music mom, great suggestion about workout DVDs on netflix. I never even thought of looking there for exercise DVDs!

I do get bored of my current DVDs so every so often I buy a couple of new ones. This is way better (and cheaper!).
  • star139
    star139 Posts: 134
    Options

hey abby I have a question for ya...I just printed Hal Higdon's half marathon training guide (it'll be my first race ever coming up on August 2nd). I am nervous because I have terrible shin splints and my legs actually bruise if I run too often (like back to back days). His schedule will have me running 4 days total, but 3 days in a row and I'm nervous if that'll worsen my shin splint pain. Do you follow the program or switch up the days you decide to run?
  • beyondchowhound
    beyondchowhound Posts: 2,102 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Sounds good!
  • stephfannie86
    Options
    I dont know if anyone else had this experience but I found the SHRED on comcast demand FOR FREE!

Does anyone else do this?