Carb Junkie

Options
2»

Replies

• stevevldz
    Options
    weight loss is a fairly simple, straight forward, linear equation. Calories in Vs. Calories out. i had the hardest time wrapping my head around it, until about a year ago i started a food journal and realize just how many calories i was consuming. A better understanding of that and where your calories come from helped me figure it all out.
    The science behind it doesnt care whether the calories are from bread, pasta, fat or sugar. All it cares about is how much you've taken in and how much you've burned off. Burn off more than you take in, and you lose weight. I've followed that for 3 weeks o a consistent daily basis, and I've lost weight nearly every day.
  • zanmarie
    zanmarie Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if I buy fresh bread (Great Harvest!), or make bread, or buy sweets like doughnuts, I will just keep eating them until they're gone. It won't necessarily happen all at once, but I'll be conscious of them there (while I'm doing other things) and want to go eat them. I have to factor this in at least a day or two a week (i.e. allow myself some carb goodies) and try to buy a smaller amount so I don't just sit around and eat whatever it is.

I don't have any problem with wheat...but I did have gestational diabetes (not pregnant now), so it's probably not the best idea for me to pig out on high GI foods. At the very least, I try to balance them with some kind of higher protein food.
  • aranchmom
    aranchmom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    According to Wheat Belly by Dr William Davis, it is like an addiction (with withdrawl symptoms). Carbs/Wheat are the cause of lots of things, dibetes, inflammation, "tummy troubles," skin issues and acne. Eliminate the wheat, feel better. And apparently, the weight will just come off. I've just started kicking the wheat/processed carbs out and I have to say I feel tons better. The scale hasn't shown the progress I would like yet.
    Unless you're a celiac, this is not necessary.
    This.^^ I quit using wheat 5 weeks ago in support of my husband who can't have it - and no withdrawal, no weightloss, no tummy slimming - NOTHING. I was SUCH a bread junkie before, too!! I am convinced that unless you are celiac, it is not necessary to stop eating wheat. The self-control, now - thats my problem!! :laugh: :laugh: :wink:
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I am with you. LOVE bread any kind. But, I have managed to greatly reduce my bread intake. At lunch instead of a half of sandwich I have been rolling up turkey in a slice of swiss cheese. I have even managed to eat Italian food without bread. Do I miss it you bet your *kitten* I do. Oh well, the price we pay.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I am a total carb-oholic! I absolutely love carbs. Bread, pasta, crackers, baked goods of all kinds, rice... Oh yeah.
    I'm on a low carb diet, and I'm sensitive to yeast. I bloat up like crazy if I eat too many carbs. I feel rotten for days. It sucks. I've been using whole quinoa instead of rice, since quinoa has a much higher protein content. I eat spaghetti squash instead of pasta. I can do eggplant or zucchini instead of lasagna noodles. But there's still nothing like fresh baked bread or a bagel with cream cheese. I've just had to say goodbye to those! Once I eat a little, I can't stop!
    I'm with you! I am a carb junkie trying to kick the habit.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    personally, I've cleared my house of all "white" foods and keep Ezekiel bread in original and cinnamon raisin in my freezer. It helps with my bread cravings plus its low on the glycemic index which helps with my sugar intake.

I have the same in my freezer - I limit even this severely!
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    Moderation is key.