Need recommendations for GPS for running

Options
I am getting ready to get off the treadmill and onto the road. I still want to manage my speed and distance so I'm looking for a GPS. They are pretty pricy so a recommendation from others that have used them would be great. Also, I'd like something that is not like a giant brick on my wrist but still a decent size display. Having a heartrate monitor in it would be great too but not required. Anyone have recommendations?

Replies

• JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I have GPS on my Android phone and use the Endomondo app to track my run.
  • chelltune
    Options
    The Runkeeper app is free.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    The runkeeper app on the iphone has a built in gps
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    BUMP, I don't have an iphone so am curious what other recommends you get. :) Oh and right now I run outdoors with the nikeplus app on my ipod touch and plan my routes on mapmyrun.com
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    RunKeeper has served me well for many a runs
  • paulmrice
    paulmrice Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This may not do everything you want, but I have a free app on my iPhone called iMapMyRun.

It has some features for mapping routes and has a community for finding good places to run, etc. But I just use it track my distance and speed for my run... then when I burn out, I restart it to track my distance/speed when I walk it off afterward. Of course, then I turn around and log the results in here. Since I already have the iPhone in my pocket for the music, this works well for me.
  • MissLuana
    Options
    If you have a smart phone, you can down load a free app called RunKeeper. It uses GPS to track your average speed/mile, your distance and calories. You choose what activity you're doing like walking, running, cycling, etc. Once you choose, it does the rest and gives updates every 5 minutes on your average speed/mile and distance. And it's only as big as your smart phone.
  • LuLuRunner1
    LuLuRunner1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I love the Runkeeper App for the iPhone. I believe there are certain brands of HRM that are compatible with it as well.
  • AJ_MotherRunner
    AJ_MotherRunner Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    cardio trainer is an app available for your android or Iphone. It tracks your distance, route, and speed (not sure how accurate) It can also be synced with your playlist.

I used it for quite some time. I really like it, but in the Michigan winters, I tend to run inside.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.wsl.CardioTrainer&hl=en

Good luck.
  • Gt3ch
    Gt3ch Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    The Garmin 405\410 looks good to me.
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    RunKeeper is also available for Android and BlackBerry.

I love it.

Check out their website www.runkeeper.com
  • InsaneMontae
    InsaneMontae Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Nike+Gps
  • lightstruck1
    lightstruck1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can recommend is Nike+ GPS. However if you don't have a phone that supports this app you are out of luck. I don't know what else you can use if you don't have a phone. Sorry!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I wear a Garmin 305 which is fairly good... comes with a HRM strap. Records all your standard info.

I have also used the Nike+ with moderate success (accuracy is an issue as my pace changes depending on Tempo/LSD/Steady/Recovery runs etc)

The Adidas Mi app ties into your blackberry/android/iphone and is still free as well (I think... been a while).
  • speedyf
    speedyf Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar RS300X with GPS, I love it! I bought it on eBay for a very fair price! Much less than a brand new one in store.
  • melrose09
    Options
    I have GPS on my Android phone and use the Endomondo app to track my run.

My husband LOVES Endomondo. His favorite feature (among the many he loves) is the finding and creating routes. Oh and the elevation tracker. He loves to look back at his runs and see how much he slows down on those killer hills. Highly recommend it. He has the free version
  • Switty_Kitty
    Switty_Kitty Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I use my iphone and www.runkeeper.com or the app for it. Works just great for me!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I have a garmin 405 which is great - it measures distance, gives constant feedback on pace and heartrate and you can download everything to the computer later. The 405cx model is probably worth looking at - it uses heart rate to calculate cals, which the 405 doesn't.
  • gleechick609
    Options
    I use Endomondo. I tried Runkeeper because all of my friends SWEAR by it. I will tell you that Endomondo was more on target than Runkeeper. Runkeeper had me over 1/4 mile more than what I actually ran. Endomondo was about .10 miles off.

My suggestion, use www.mapmyrun.com to map out your miles and then compare the GPS map.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I use a free app on my iPhone called imapmyfitness. I use my Polar FT4 HRM to see calories burned and I use my iPhone app to see my distance, route, & average pace per mile. It's a neat app, it saves your workout & you can view them later or even pick a route to take. It also does some other stuff that I haven't used.