Feeling full but not eating my calories?

Options
I'm eating more than did before, I'm ensuring I'm eating breakfast I'm having more frequent but smaller and drinking water but today for example I had 600 calories spare.

Today my food diary has looked like this.

7.30 am - handfull of mixed nuts (raw)
8.15- porridge oats made with water
10.45-2x nairne light oak cakes
12.45- chicken breast salad with lots of salad/ spinach with half boiled egg and a weight watchers from age frais
3.30- tuna quiche
7.00- chicken garlic Kiev with a lot of salad

Troughs out they day I have had 2 cups of tea and 1 green tea, and a out 2 litres of water maybe more.

I have a calorie goal of 1940 with a 2 pound a week weight loss. Today I still had 600 left. I know salad and veggies don't have that many calories in them and I'm eating quite a bit.

Replies

• Guitarjon
    Guitarjon Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Does that mean you're only eating 1300 calories or does it mean you're not eating back exercise calories? I believe the minimum for a man to consume is 1500 calories per day, but most people here suggest looking up your BMR (under tools) and eating at least that amount.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    If the calories you are claiming are accurate and you are only eating 1300 calories, you need to find a way to eat more.
  • 0RESET0
    0RESET0 Posts: 128
    Options
    You didn't really ask a question. I assume you are trying to figure out how to eat more without feeling stuffed. Cut out some of the fluff. Iceberg lettuce is mostly water. If you are feeling full before you hit your calories, eat more calorie dense foods like meat and cheese.
  • clocklady
    clocklady Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    When you fill your stomach with low calorie nutrient dense foods like green leafy vegetables you feel fuller. I don't think that's a bad thing. Better than eating junk just to meet your calorie goal.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    More mixed nuts! Or my favorite - peanut butter :D

syw4yu-1.gif
  • _persephone_
    _persephone_ Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I was having this problem when I first started...I was amazed at how little calories I was taking in for the amount of food I was eating. Your diet seems pretty high in protein too, which will keep you feeling full.

I got around it by including things with healthy fats in them...eg avocados, greek yogurt, sunflower seeds, chicken thighs instead of breasts etc

Maybe try giving up the low fat versions of stuff and going for full fat. Remember fat won't make you fat.
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    make your porridge with whole milk, and/or add some raisins to it

add some cheese and chopped boiled egg to your salad, or some nuts.

ditch the WW fake food and eat a proper yoghurt, not a diet one.

Spread some butter or whatever takes your fancy on the oatcakes.

replace 1 glass of water with a glass of milk.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    When you fill your stomach with low calorie nutrient dense foods like green leafy vegetables you feel fuller. I don't think that's a bad thing. Better than eating junk just to meet your calorie goal.

You don't have to et junk to get to your calorie goal. And yes getting all of your calories is important.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I nearly always am under despite actually eating at LEAST my goal...today I'm 1330kCal+ "under" yet eaten over my goal just net is low. I'm full too like you and havce similar diet. Mostly vegetable which is all low GI and low in kCal too but also full of vitamins and minerals. I didn't even feel hungry at dinner tonight and all I'd had all day was a bowl of 40g porridge oats made with 50ml skimmed milk and 200ml water and a small banana, a spoonful of honey and a spoonful of sugar. I ran 10Km and did an hour long anaerobic circuit and bizarrely still not hungry, I find if I too have hot plain beverages or very low Kcal fruit squash and or water I'm not hungry. Not been detrimental to health or weight loss/maintenace so far! :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'm eating more than did before, I'm ensuring I'm eating breakfast I'm having more frequent but smaller and drinking water but today for example I had 600 calories spare.
    I have a calorie goal of 1940 with a 2 pound a week weight loss. Today I still had 600 left. I know salad and veggies don't have that many calories in them and I'm eating quite a bit.

If you have constantly been eating under your BMR for a while, and your metabolism has slowed, then it would not be at all unsual to not be hungry.

Are you trying to eat up to 1940 now, from some much lower number?

If the jump was really big, you may just need to spend a week with about 200 more cal's in a snack.
    The week after add another 200, perhaps 2 meals about 100 cal bigger each.
    Then another 200, depending on how many from old level to get to 1940 level.

Then again, did you exercise today and that created an extra deficit that is out of norm?
    Or perhaps your activity level set up in Diet Profile is higher than it should be, which would make the maintenance calories higher (2940), and therefore the goal calories higher (1940).
    Especially bad inflation if you are also logging exercise calories and trying to eat them back as you indeed should, accurate ones anyway.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    if you are not hungry-don't eat! Just be sure than when you do eat you are getting the nutrients you need from healthy foods.
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    Peanut butter on whole grain toast, yogurt with some berries/granola, and a protein shake or two and you'd be pretty close. Plus you'd be getting more protein which is sounds like you could use (if that's a typical day)
  • michelleck23
    Options
    Your body knows best, calorie counting is not an exact science based just off weight. You seem to be on a schedule with your food which is great for keeping your metabolism burning! I typically hace about 600 left over as well....are you working out? I am basically not eating what i burned. If yoy are wanting fat loss in my opinion keep it up, listen to your body, add more protien if you are wanting more energy and cals.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I feel like that sometimes. I can eat my calories many days, and then a couple days I'll really not want to eat more than 1200, if that. I think that's fine. Your body wants a break, that's fine. I'm not an expert on metabolism slowing down, people talk about it a lot here. Who knows. But yeah, don't worry about it at all if it's even a once a week thing, a lot of people do fasts one day a week anyway, and they say it's good for them.

ETA on the suggestion of someone else, I've started doing my calories where it's not the "eat it back" method. I eat at or near my BMR, and what I burn off, I burn off. No eating it back. I really like that method, and it gives me more knowledge/understanding of the whole process than just going by MFP goals. Experiment around, see what works for you.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    eat more substantial veges. Salad is great, but so is butternut, brocolli, sprouts... all yummy and good for you.

Add milk to your porridge.

Fruit, more nuts, seeds, etc etc
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Basically you've gone overboard in your quest to eat healthy.

your meals are so "healthy" that they are unhealthy. Sounds weird right? But its true.

You need to learn not to fear calories. This next bit is really important: Less is not always better. You know what the number one reason is that people on here plateau and stop losing weight? Because they aren't eating enough! Just like you!

So scale back a bit on the health foods and remember what it's like to eat like a normal person. You won't need to eat more meals if you swap some of them for more "normal" food, i.e. not necessarily junk food, but not the ultra low calorie diet you've put yourself on. As one of my favourite MFPers MaximalLife says, "you didn't get fat in the first place without knowing how to eat", so it's important not to forget that now.

Remember, eating sensibly doesn't mean adopting the diet of a rabbit. It means a well varied and balanced diet which includes plenty of fats, carbs, and CALORIES!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing all the right things. You do need to eat 1500, but beyond that, I wouldn't force it. If you're full, you're full! I saw a few suggestions to help you up your calories without major changes. I say, as long as you're still losing weight you're doing it right. Everyone is different and requires different situations. I find a high protein, low fat and low carb diet works for me, and makes me feel best. Do what works for you, and don't worry about it! :wink:
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    You are a bit bigger like me, and I support the tactic of eating at least your adjusted BMR if you are exercising. If you are doing this with diet alone, it's very important to meet your calorie and nutrient goals as they are set up. Add nuts/nut butters, meal bars, full fat yogurts, etc etc, calorie dense, high nutrient foods. Do some research and create easy to make combinations for meals and snacks. You can easily add complex calories to your diet without taking up much room... But I do agree that you should cut out the water dense foods. Two salads in a day may be too much, when you look at what you're drinking and eating besides.

Also, if you have that much wiggle room, don't be afraid to indulge a little! I'm not saying going on a junk run, I'm just saying eat real cheese, yogurt, cream... Non-processed food with full fat can be *good* for you, packing a good calorie punch for low space needs. I have this problem too because my metabolism slows to starvation very easily.

Good luck, and feel free to add me :)
  • psychopiglet
    psychopiglet Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    A great way to boost your calories without feeling overly stuffed would be to add a glass of fruit juice or a smoothie.

But to be honest, if you're feeling full, there's really no need to eat more. If you get peckish later on have a snack; if not, don't bother.