Is the calorie count from my workout machine is accurate???

Options
I am frustrated!! So, I have an elliptical at home that I use. Also, the gym that I go to has a number of different ellipticals. I have been trying different ones and the calorie count for what feels like the same workout is vastly different. My workout yesterday on one machine was 600 calories, and the workout today was 220 calories for the same time. What's the deal?

Just wondering since I like to have extra calories around. Now, I am wondering if I have been eating too many.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• techigirl78
    techigirl78 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Which of the machines you use allow you to enter weight/height/age? That would be the one that is more likely accurate. All others are based on defaults likely different from you.
  • Butterfly3730
    Options
    I had the same issue when I first started too. I got a HRM (Polar FT4, also FT7 is good too) and now I don't have to wonder. It is worth the investment! The machines at my gym gave me a number sometimes 30 - 40% more.
  • donovan86
    Options
    Sorry to piggyback on the topic here, but my HRM has me totally mixed up actually. I've always heard that the gym's machines overestimate your calorie burn, but after finally breaking down and buying my HRM and wearing it to the gym, I noticed that I was actually burning WAY MORE than what the gym's machine was estimating.

(30 minutes of running at 6.5 mph; Gym: 422, HRM: 655)

Based on the old fashioned calculation of .75 x body weight x miles ran, it seems like the HRM is over-blowing my numbers? Any thoughts?
  • Okieace
    Options
    Sorry to piggyback on the topic here, but my HRM has me totally mixed up actually. I've always heard that the gym's machines overestimate your calorie burn, but after finally breaking down and buying my HRM and wearing it to the gym, I noticed that I was actually burning WAY MORE than what the gym's machine was estimating.

Based on the old fashioned calculation of .75 x body weight x miles ran, it seems like the HRM is over-blowing my numbers? Any thoughts?

I'll be interested to hear what others think, but my thought is that your HRM should be more accurate. That formula is very generic and doesn't take into account your fitness level. A HRM is directly monitoring your vitals and therefore I think be more accurate.
  • Michelle650
    Options
    Im not sure! If it were me I would go with the lower number! I just got a HRM and for a 30 minute walk on the treadmill it said I burned 236 cals however the treadmill said I burned 280 cals!!
  • Michelle650
    Options

[/quote]
    I'll be interested to hear what others think, but my thought is that your HRM should be more accurate. That formula is very generic and doesn't take into account your fitness level. A HRM is directly monitoring your vitals and therefore I think be more accurate.
    [/quote]

Would the fact that there are alot of electrical equipment around interfere with your HRM reading?? Im not sure I have heard about that before!!