help calculating calories to eat for weight loss

Options
Hi I'm a little confused.. I've been trying to eat 1200-1400 calories a day however I calculated my bmr which for me I'm 5'8 and weigh 159 with a sedentary lifestyle my bmr is a little over 1500. Am I hurting myself by only eating 1200-1400? I don't have much time for exercise this semester so I do live a pretty sedentary life with the exception of walking all around the.campus and standing for hours at a time at work. Any help is appreciated thank you :)

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi I'm a little confused.. I've been trying to eat 1200-1400 calories a day however I calculated my bmr which for me I'm 5'8 and weigh 159 with a sedentary lifestyle my bmr is a little over 1500. Am I hurting myself by only eating 1200-1400? I don't have much time for exercise this semester so I do live a pretty sedentary life with the exception of walking all around the.campus and standing for hours at a time at work. Any help is appreciated thank you :)

I suggest never eating below BMR as doing so will slow down your metabolism, which makes your body less effective at burning calories. Also, considering you don't have much to lose, set your goal at .5 lb per week. Your body needs the additional calories as it will fight to hold onto whatever it can.
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Yup eat at BMR, then eat a little bit more on exercise days. Working for me :)
  • fitfocusedfamily
    fitfocusedfamily Posts: 117 Member
    Options

I suggest never eating below BMR as doing so will slow down your metabolism, which makes your body less effective at burning calories. Also, considering you don't have much to lose, set your goal at .5 lb per week. Your body needs the additional calories as it will fight to hold onto whatever it can.

I agree. I'm your exact height & weight with a similar BMR. I workout 5-6 times per week & consume 1800 calories most days. On a rare occasion, I will eat 1200 calories but that only follows a high calorie day & no workout on the low cal day.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP; this is a great place to get started on a wonderful journey.
    Getting healthy and fit is actually very simple but it's just hard work.
    And don't worry about BMR and all that jargon. This site calculates all that for you.
    This is how MFP works if you want the specifics. It's actually quite interesting.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help/faq/3-how-does-myfitnesspal-work

Just get started by going into settings to Update diet/fitness profile.
    Set your goals for 1 lb weight loss per week.
    NO MORE!
    And eat lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts, whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies.
    Do both cardio and resistance exercise.
    AND EAT BACK YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES!
    Remember, this is not a race, and you can reach your goals if you stick to a good plan as recommended on this site.

You have many people here ready to lend support, answer qustions and discuss any challenges.
    You can do this.

All Is Possible!
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!! So I suppose I shall start eating at 1550!
  • lungry1980
    Options
    How do I figure my BMR? I am 5'6 and weigh 180.
  • tequila09
    Options

I agree. I'm your exact height & weight with a similar BMR. I workout 5-6 times per week & consume 1800 calories most days. On a rare occasion, I will eat 1200 calories but that only follows a high calorie day & no workout on the low cal day.

Thanks! I was unsure about eating 1500+ considering I don't exercise but it makes sense to not eat below it the last thing I want is for my metabolism to slow because that's how I ended up at 160 lol
  • tequila09
    Options

Mfp has a bmr calculator in the tools section
  • tequila09
    Options
    Welcome to MFP; this is a great place to get started on a wonderful journey.
    Getting healthy and fit is actually very simple but it's just hard work.
    And don't worry about BMR and all that jargon. This site calculates all that for you.
    This is how MFP works if you want the specifics. It's actually quite interesting.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help/faq/3-how-does-myfitnesspal-work

Just get started by going into settings to Update diet/fitness profile.
    Set your goals for 1 lb weight loss per week.
    NO MORE!
    And eat lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts, whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies.
    Do both cardio and resistance exercise.
    AND EAT BACK YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES!
    Remember, this is not a race, and you can reach your goals if you stick to a good plan as recommended on this site.

You have many people here ready to lend support, answer qustions and discuss any challenges.
    You can do this.

All Is Possible!

Thank you for the welcome!!
  • roro73
    roro73 Posts: 153 Member
    Options

You can use the Tools tab at the top of the screen. Choose BMR and it should already have your stats...just hit calculate. As you lose weight, this number goes down so check it every 10 lbs or so.
  • roro73
    roro73 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I always thought that in order to lose weight I had to stick to a super low calorie diet, but MFP is WONDERFUL!! I found out a week ago that I'm supposed to eat at least 1420 calories a day so I just make sure to do something a little extra to make sure I still have a defecit. I also reset my weight loss goal at 1lb a week and eat back most of my exercise calories and voila...I'm steadily losing...and if you take a look, I've only been here about 18 days and have lost almost 7lbs. Definitely don't eat below your BMR!! And enjoy every last calorie you earn :tongue:

15930494.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • lauehorn
    lauehorn Posts: 183
    Options

I agree. I'm an inch taller than you and about 10 lbs heavier. My BMR is not much higher (sedentary) at my current weight than my goal weight which is 30 lbs lighter - both are between 1500 - 1550. I am eating at least 1550/day and allowing myself more, if I am hungry. My maintenance calories (current weight) are ~1900, so I am always sure to at least stay underneath that. Basically, I eat between 1550 - 1900 to ensure slow and steady weight loss and no gain. Exercise is bonus and I only eat that back if I burn a ridiculous amount in a day and am really, truly hungry. Search for "The Olivia Method."
  • tequila09
    Options

I checked a few sites and my bmr is around 1530 so that's what I've set my calorie goal to! I'm a little sad its going to take longer to get to my goal weight but I suppose its better for the long run and at least I can eat more haha I do love food!! What is your goal weight? You're 5'9 right?

I agree. I'm an inch taller than you and about 10 lbs heavier. My BMR is not much higher (sedentary) at my current weight than my goal weight which is 30 lbs lighter - both are between 1500 - 1550. I am eating at least 1550/day and allowing myself more, if I am hungry. My maintenance calories (current weight) are ~1900, so I am always sure to at least stay underneath that. Basically, I eat between 1550 - 1900 to ensure slow and steady weight loss and no gain. Exercise is bonus and I only eat that back if I burn a ridiculous amount in a day and am really, truly hungry. Search for "The Olivia Method."
  • lauehorn
    lauehorn Posts: 183
    Options

I checked a few sites and my bmr is around 1530 so that's what I've set my calorie goal to! I'm a little sad its going to take longer to get to my goal weight but I suppose its better for the long run and at least I can eat more haha I do love food!! What is your goal weight? You're 5'9 right?

My goal weight is around 140/145 and I'm 5'9". Don't go only by weight... go by how you feel, how your clothes fit, and other changes to your body through this process. You'll be much happier and healthier. Your body knows where it needs to be, so try and really learn to listen to your body. It tells you when you're hungry and when you're not. If you are feeding it nutrient-dense foods and eating mindfully (not scarfing it down), you'll naturally start to eat for your body's fuel needs, not just because you feel as if you should or for emotional reasons. This is why I say my goal weight is "around" a number. I may get to 150 and my body will make it clear that's where I should stay. Or, I may get down to my "goal" and realize I need to go lower. Plus, your weight naturally fluctuates a few pounds up and down based on hormones and other factors. It's totally normal and healthy. Just my two cents! Good luck to you! Let's encourage each other. I LOVE food, too, but I have learned to really enjoy and savor it... all in moderation. :)
  • tequila09
    Options

I suggest never eating below BMR as doing so will slow down your metabolism, which makes your body less effective at burning calories. Also, considering you don't have much to lose, set your goal at .5 lb per week. Your body needs the
    additional calories as it will fight to hold onto whatever it can.

My goal weight is around 140/145 and I'm 5'9". Don't go only by weight... go by how you feel, how your clothes fit, and other changes to your body through this process. You'll be much happier and healthier. Your body knows where it needs to be, so try and really learn to listen to your body. It tells you when you're hungry and when you're not. If you are feeding it nutrient-dense foods and eating mindfully (not scarfing it down), you'll naturally start to eat for your body's fuel needs, not just because you feel as if you should or for emotional reasons. This is why I say my goal weight is "around" a number. I may get to 150 and my body will make it clear that's where I should stay. Or, I may get down to my "goal" and realize I need to go lower. Plus, your weight naturally fluctuates a few pounds up and down based on hormones and other factors. It's totally normal and healthy. Just my two cents! Good luck to you! Let's encourage each other. I LOVE food, too, but I have learned to really enjoy and savor it... all in moderation. :)

Definitely my goal is around 130 but I think if I gained muscle and lost inches I could be at 140. I basically just want to lose my belly lol!!!
  • micdaisy
    micdaisy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    bump