See your doctor first....

Options
We've all been told that before you start any type of diet or exercise program you should first see your doctor. I did not do this. After four months of working out and watching calorie intake, I hadn't lost a thing. I just finally visited my doctor and had some test ran for a non-weight loss issue, and it was discovered that my Vitamin D was extremely low. No wonder I have zero energy!!!! And from what I've been reading, A Vitamin D deficiency can prevent weight loss and even cause a minor weight gain.

So if you're having some issues losing , and you know you're eating correctly and working out for sure visit your doc and have some test ran....I wish I would have 6 months ago! Maybe I could have prevented some heart ache when I step on the scale!

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D is far more likely to be a result of obesity, rather than a cause
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options

That doesn't negate the value of her advice to consult your physician, it never hurts to hear a medical opinion on your plan. My doctor hates mine but she's seen the results.
  • 0AmyMarie0
    Options
    Obesity – Vitamin D deficiency is frequently linked to obesity, as the insufficient level of vitamin D holds back the production of hormone leptin, which regulates the fat in the body. Inadequate exposure to sunlight disrupts the normal function of the body, determining the individual to eat more than it is necessary for the body.

http://www.vitaminddeficiencyguide.com/

It can also lead to depression and chronic fatigue, which would both help you along the way to weight gain.

I've been vitamin D deficient for the last 6 years and never had weight gain until last year, turned out it was my thyroid causing the weight gain, nothing to do with the vit D like I had assumed, though depression didnt help.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options

That doesn't negate the value of her advice to consult your physician, it never hurts to hear a medical opinion on your plan. My doctor hates mine but she's seen the results.

I didn't say that it did, I'm simply pointing out that a Vitamin D deficiency is not likely to be the reason she couldn't lose weight.
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options

Oh I'd love to blame my thyroid or my low levels of Vit D on why I'm obese...but I don't. That's all me :) ....and regardless what causes it, I think too many of us go the weight loss route alone. My main point here is get to your doctor, assess the damage to your body, and fix it while you are fixing the number on the scale. It's all connected for sure!
  • waldron8
    Options
    Good for you on checking with your doc. So many of us are vitamin d deficient. Did you get put on supplements?
  • JessG11
    Options
    Obesity – Vitamin D deficiency is frequently linked to obesity, as the insufficient level of vitamin D holds back the production of hormone leptin, which regulates the fat in the body. Inadequate exposure to sunlight disrupts the normal function of the body, determining the individual to eat more than it is necessary for the body.

http://www.vitaminddeficiencyguide.com/

It can also lead to depression and chronic fatigue, which would both help you along the way to weight gain.

I've been vitamin D deficient for the last 6 years and never had weight gain until last year, turned out it was my thyroid causing the weight gain, nothing to do with the vit D like I had assumed, though depression didnt help.

I too have high TSH levels....which of course is thyroid and of course leads to difficulty losing and fatigue....though I've also read low Vit. D can cause high TSH levels....it's confusing to say the least and it will take months and more tests to get everything that I have going on normal. I personally haven't had any weight gain that I couldn't blame on horrible holiday eating...but the fatigue has been the worst I've experienced ever! I'm pushing through that though by getting into the gym early. Good for you for pushing through it as well and I hope everything has been sorted for you.
  • JessG11
    Options
    Good for you on checking with your doc. So many of us are vitamin d deficient. Did you get put on supplements?

Yes....50,000iu once a week until re test in 3 months...