getting your BMR testing for REAL

Options
Has anyone gone to a university or hospital clinic to get their basal metabolism ACTUALLY measured? I think it involves running on treadmills with masks that measure how much oxygen you use, etc. If so, has it been accurate? Has it helped you lose weight more efficiently?

The reason I ask is because I am CONSTANTLY struggling between trying to figure out if I am eating too much or too little for the amount I am working out. I have a thyroid disease, so I have an extra slow metabolism as it is, and aim for around 1300-1500 calories a day (I do not eat my exercise calories). I exercise a lot ( I am doing Insanity), and honestly could not imagine eating more than I do, because I am NEVER hungry.

Any information would be much appreciated!

Replies

• Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Has anyone gone to a university or hospital clinic to get their basal metabolism ACTUALLY measured? I think it involves running on treadmills with masks that measure how much oxygen you use, etc. If so, has it been accurate? Has it helped you lose weight more efficiently?

The reason I ask is because I am CONSTANTLY struggling between trying to figure out if I am eating too much or too little for the amount I am working out. I have a thyroid disease, so I have an extra slow metabolism as it is, and aim for around 1300-1500 calories a day (I do not eat my exercise calories). I exercise a lot ( I am doing Insanity), and honestly could not imagine eating more than I do, because I am NEVER hungry.

Any information would be much appreciated!

I have indeed go through the testing and it was a very interesting experience, in addition to getting my BMR I was also able to get my VO2 max reading done at the same clinic. I have my meeting with my sports nutritionist on Thursday to iron out the details of my meal plan taking all of my stats into account.
  • BuffLoveWinning
    BuffLoveWinning Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My friend was thought to have thyroid disease, but they got it wrong. She's actually gluten intolerant they thought she was thyroid because they had become inflamed so much from the gluten.
  • chiv123
    Options
    No but I got a "body composition" test done at the recreation center at my University yesterday and it was way off. They used the skin fold method to measure my body fat and said it was at 12.7%.... I wish! It also gave me numbers for lean mass, water, etc. I don' t know if its the method that's inaccurate or they just did it wrong, etc, but it would be neat to know my (real) body composition.
  • hster3
    hster3 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I started following a GF diet a few months ago, which was recommended by my nutritionist because gluten intolerance and thyroid disease usually go hand in hand. Although, now I'm afraid to wean myself off of my thyroid meds to see if I am "cured" because I don't know for sure! Thanks for the input though!
  • lilsassymom
    lilsassymom Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    bump because I want to know also:smile: .
  • Fit_Canuck
    Options
    No but I got a "body composition" test done at the recreation center at my University yesterday and it was way off. They used the skin fold method to measure my body fat and said it was at 12.7%.... I wish! It also gave me numbers for lean mass, water, etc. I don' t know if its the method that's inaccurate or they just did it wrong, etc, but it would be neat to know my (real) body composition.

In my case it was a test where they put me on a treadmill with this mask to do a full gas analysis, had to run at various speeds, inclines and measured my body response throughout the whole thing to test my VO2 max

Now to test my BMR they had me breathing thru a tube for a length of time, I think it was roughly 15mins for me, I wasn't really watching the clock, totally at rest and they checked oxygen/CO2 . They can tell by how much Oxygen you consume your BMR. I don't know all the science behind it but that's why I pay the pros ;)

They were also able to tell me my lean body mass/tissue/organs weight. Hydration Level etc..it was awesome!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Yes, go get tested, and see how fast or slow your metabolism actually is...
  • mathen2
    mathen2 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    If you get the test done for Body fat%, called the Bodpod test, you will get the BMR rate with the test. Then depending on your activities, you just need to mutliply the BMR rate X(activity level number) to get the range of your calories to eat to make sure that your metabolism is kept up and doesnt die down.
  • Fit_Canuck
    Options
    If you get the test done for Body fat%, called the Bodpod test, you will get the BMR rate with the test. Then depending on your activities, you just need to mutliply the BMR rate X(activity level number) to get the range of your calories to eat to make sure that your metabolism is kept up and doesnt die down.

I keep hearing good things about the BopPod, just don't have it available in my area :(
  • chiv123
    Options

In my case it was a test where they put me on a treadmill with this mask to do a full gas analysis, had to run at various speeds, inclines and measured my body response throughout the whole thing to test my VO2 max

Now to test my BMR they had me breathing thru a tube for a length of time, I think it was roughly 15mins for me, I wasn't really watching the clock, totally at rest and they checked oxygen/CO2 . They can tell by how much Oxygen you consume your BMR. I don't know all the science behind it but that's why I pay the pros ;)

They were also able to tell me my lean body mass/tissue/organs weight. Hydration Level etc..it was awesome!

Sounds really neat! I would like to do this as well. Similar to the OP, I was basically trying to get a feel for how I should be eating and what my goals should be like. My issue is that I'm short and musclely so I have a hard time shooting for a number on the scale. I wonder if I'm genuinely hungry bc I'm not getting enough calories or if I'm just wanting to eat more.

Since I joined MFP 3 weeks ago I've upped my calories 3x. I'm just playing with the numbers to see what works for me. I've also considered buying a HRM to check on how much the gym equipment is overestimating my calorie burn as I usually eat back all of my 6-9 hundred exercise calories each day. I can see how knowing your "real" BMR would be very useful. How much did your test cost?
  • Fit_Canuck
    Options

Sounds really neat! I would like to do this as well. Similar to the OP, I was basically trying to get a feel for how I should be eating and what my goals should be like. My issue is that I'm short and musclely so I have a hard time shooting for a number on the scale. I wonder if I'm genuinely hungry bc I'm not getting enough calories or if I'm just wanting to eat more.

Since I joined MFP 3 weeks ago I've upped my calories 3x. I'm just playing with the numbers to see what works for me. I've also considered buying a HRM to check on how much the gym equipment is overestimating my calorie burn as I usually eat back all of my 6-9 hundred exercise calories each day. I can see how knowing your "real" BMR would be very useful. How much did your test cost?

In my case the BMR test would have been roughly 85$ which included a basic workout plan afterwards. But I paid for the Vo2 max testing with it for roughly 200$ total.
  • hster3
    Options
    This has been really helpful: I think I will look into the fitness testing at my local university now! They do offer a Bod Pod test too, so after I have it done, I can post a review.

chiv123: Personally, getting a HRM was one of the BEST decisions I've made regarding my fitness. Exercise machines at the gym seriously overestimate calories burned. Also, using a HRM is really helpful for staying within your target fat burning zone when working out (if that is your goal).
  • Fit_Canuck
    Options
    This has been really helpful: I think I will look into the fitness testing at my local university now! They do offer a Bod Pod test too, so after I have it done, I can post a review.

chiv123: Personally, getting a HRM was one of the BEST decisions I've made regarding my fitness. Exercise machines at the gym seriously overestimate calories burned. Also, using a HRM is really helpful for staying within your target fat burning zone when working out (if that is your goal).

Same for me, I love my HRM now I don't know what I would do without it.
  • chiv123
    Options

Thanks for the input! I was looking at a polar model that indicates whether you are in your "fat burning zone" or "fitness zone." It would be nice to have guidance for improving my endurance for runs in addition to the target fat burn zone- it keeps things interesting. Good stuff! I'll report back if I get my BMR tested or if I discover any other cool technology. Thanks for the advice.
  • chiv123
    Options

Ok, I'm sold! haha. My boyfriend caught me looking at them on ebay a few days ago and thought I was over-complicating things (per usual for me), so we'll just have to keep this HRM business between us 3 :wink:
  • hster3
    Options

Ok, I'm sold! haha. My boyfriend caught me looking at them on ebay a few days ago and thought I was over-complicating things (per usual for me), so we'll just have to keep this HRM business between us 3 :wink:

Haha! If you do end up getting one, I would recommend the Timex Ironman versions--I found mine on Amazon for around $65. It's definitely worth it! I've had it for over a year and it works as good as new.