lean cuisines, smart ones healthy choice etc help....

Replies

• jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    There could definately be worse things. I eat them some, but they aren't filling to me and usually need something else. I admit, I don't watch my sodium very well, maybe I can work up to it, but I am losing fine so far. 9 lbs in a month or so. It is my goal to cook and freeze homeade stuff, but..well I am busy and have 2 busy children. Sometimes there isn't time and these quick meals are my solution.
  • PokerChris
    PokerChris Posts: 120 Member
    I eat them pretty frequently for lunch at work. They are not the best things in the world, but they are lower calorie and cheaper than my previous lunch routine which usually involved Chipotle, Qdoba, McDonald's, Wendy's, etc.

I don't see how they could prevent you from losing weight. In most cases, it's just calories in vs. calories out.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    I eat them probably 2-3 times a week. I like Healthy Choice, and I look for the ones with higher protein and lower sodium. They're not the greatest thing in the world for you, but it's a convenience thing. If I'm super busy I'd rather pop a frozen meal in the microwave than hit the drive thru.
  • aliric
    aliric Posts: 69
    I eat the healthy choice cafe steamers. All under 300 calories and sodium is not that bad compared to some. I usually cook my meals every day but when you have a meeting or pressed for time they work. I usually have 1 a week. Hasn't hurt my weight loss at all. I think they are ok to eat but not every day.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,237 Member
    Healthy? Probably not...Low calorie? Yes...

Convenient? Absolutely. I eat them a few days a week. Generally smart ones because they seem to have the least sodium and they taste good.

If you have the ability to make your lunches for the week or the night before then you should. But not everyone has that option. It won't keep you from losing weight. The excess sodium *could* make you retain water which will throw the scale off a bit but that's only if the rest of your diet is high sodium as well...and even then its not keeping you from losing so much as just holding in water.
  • I eat them once in a while. I wouldn't call them healthy, but I don't think they are horribly unhealthy either.---in moderation/ occasionaly.
  • I think they're a great choice! They are perfectly portioned so for those not sure if they are eating too much, this will help teach you how much is too much. I usually add a veggie and/or fruit to it. As far as sodium goes i really don't know what all the fuss is about. If your blood pressure is normal, you're not swollen and dehydrated, and at your last physical your doctor didn't tell you your electrolytes were shockingly out of balance, then eat up and pass me the salt shaker!
  • i usually stay away from processed food. I have had trouble with high blood pressure in the past and these tv dinners are usually high in sodium.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    I personally think they are great for portion control, especially if you need practice in this area before you are able to eyeball it on your own (and stick to just one serving).
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 462 Member
    I used to eat them all the time... but grew tired of them. Plus just by grabbing a serving of artisan chips, a turkey sandwich, and some fruit... i get a much more filling lunch for about the same amount of calories... minus about half the sodium. :D
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Ewwwe:)
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    They are gross and unfilling. Can you lose weight eating them? Yes. I know a few people who have. But losing weight eating delicious and nutritious food is so much more satisfying.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    I eat them probably once a week. I love them!
  • Hollyjd1019
    Hollyjd1019 Posts: 148
    I eat one for lunch 5 days a week. I prefer lean cuisine. They seem to have more tasty ones that I like. But I've eaten ww and healthy choice too. They all seem to be high in sodium and not great nutritionally but great on cals and time saving. I have a 4 yr old and I work full time plus I try to work out daily. I don't really have time or money to fix daily lunches to take to work daily. It just works best for me. I figure it's better than fast food everyday which is what I was eating. I would like to eat fresh food instead and maybe I will one day. But, right now I'm just trying to stay on track w cals, water, & exercise. I do fix fresh dinners & weekend meals most of the time.

Btw, I started my journey on 1/17/2012 and have lost 31 lbs so I don't think they hurt me. Good luck!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Their not terrible... But I prefer Amy's if I'm going to eat frozen meals. They are usually vegetarian or vegan high in protein and free of preservatives and artificial crap.

Will eating lean cuisines for lunch hurt your weight loss goals? No, provided you continue a deficit.

Best of luck!
  • heatgal976
    heatgal976 Posts: 53 Member
    I eat an Amy's frozen meal 4 days a week for work due to limited time and lack of choices. It doesn't hinder my weight loss. I just watch my sodium intake for the rest of the day.
  • OhioMade
    OhioMade Posts: 48 Member
    I like them, and I have them for breakfast and dinner every day at the moment. 200 to 300 cals per meal. The smart ones have some good breakfast options. I prefer healthy choice or lean cuisine for dinners. I drink 10 glasses of water a day, regardless. I cannot imagine that I will continue to eat them so much once I move into a maintenance calorie mode. The important thing is to try a wide variety and settle on ones you like because some are yucky, but some are tasty. Good luck!
  • I have the Tomasso - Supreme Lasagna ones. How do you add them to your food list. I know all the info from the box. Can someone help. thanks.
  • For everyone claiming they are full of preservatives, on the lean cuisine box right in from of me it clearly says no preservatives. It also has 18 g of protein. When your a full time pre med student who also works, sometimes the high sodium is worth it. Just drink more water, which you should be doing anyways. When I can't afford big meals, these aren't bad at $1.50 a piece. Also, it's better than anything we have on campus.
  • 1960HikerDude
    1960HikerDude Posts: 215 Member
    I used to bring lean cuisine's to work for lunch every day and eat them at my desk. I stopped doing that due to the high sodium content. Now I make sandwiches and eat them in the park outside my office bldg. I enjoy my lunch break a lot more now.