How long does it take you to run a mile?

Options

Replies

• nukehiker
    Options
    just stick with it and you will improve. i started in nov. doing about 10:30 per mile now i am averaging about 9:30 per mile using runkeeper. i was consistent around 10 min or so the took a couple weeks off and bam i dropped 45 seconds... weird huh ?
  • ElleOQuent
    ElleOQuent Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    My fastest mile was 9:50.
  • Ireshgurl
    Options
    I finally ran my first actual mile in YEARS. It took me a little over 10 mins and that totally surprised me. I didn't think I could do it that fast, lol.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    When I started off, I mostly ran a 13:54. I couldn't run the whole thing.

When I did my last mile time-trial for my company's fitness camp, I clocked in at 7:09.

Lots of miles under my feet went into that. Keep at it, you'll get faster. Depending on what your goal is, there's any number of guides out there. Speed work (intervals and tempo runs) will help, but what I found helped me the most was incorporating LSD into my work outs. Not the drugs, but a Long, Slow Distance run once a week. Working my lungs, heart and legs for a long time at a low pace seems to have really helped in the shorter runs (example, I'm half-marathon training, so the 12 mile weekend runs make the 5ks seem like nothing and I can really push it).

Good luck on your training! And keep on running!
  • jennyredfern
    jennyredfern Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I run outside only. :)
  • sixisCHANGEDjk
    Options
    When I trained (if you call it that) for my first 5K, I ran the treadmill at 11 and 12 minute miles. On race day I ended up running just over 9 minute miles. Just be careful not to over-train yourself and you'll likely be surprised on race day. I'm trying to treadmill at around 10 minute miles now hoping to shave a few seconds off the next 5K.
  • jennyredfern
    jennyredfern Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all the great information! I feel so much better about my 11... technically 11.5 minute mile now. I was almost embarrassed to post my time! Good to know I'm not the slowest girl in the world! lol

I will keep on trying to improve my own time. The most exciting thing to me was that I didn't have to stop even one time! I struggle with exercise induced asthma that's triggered by cold air... and in Chicago this time of year is ALWAYS cold! Today wasn't too bad though. It felt good to feel the pain in my side before the pain in my lungs!

Thanks for all the encouragement! I'm going to send friend requests to you guys so I can have some runners on my posts. I'll gain encouragement knowing you're all running too! :)
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I was never fast but at 20 I ran 10 minute miles. Now, 51, I run 12 to 12.5 minute miles. I think the 25 pounds is slowing me down. Ha ha. Also, I'm short, 5'3" so I know I'm not going to keep up with the majority of other runners. I just try to do my best for me, and thaat's good enough.
  • dperich1968
    dperich1968 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    My best mile has been just over an 8min mile, running 2miles. Try using C25K, it is a great program and very easy to follow. Gets you running a 5K or 30mins in 9 weeks. I love it and it has saved me from pushing to hard and injurying my knees.

Good luck and do what you feel is good for you.
  • buckystars
    buckystars Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    12 minutes at the moment. I started at 14:30 but I've been working at running it faster.
  • Iamkim73
    Iamkim73 Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    9:36! And at 305 pounds... I'm pretty proud of that. lol.

awesome!
  • Iamkim73
    Iamkim73 Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I was never fast but at 20 I ran 10 minute miles. Now, 51, I run 12 to 12.5 minute miles. I think the 25 pounds is slowing me down. Ha ha. Also, I'm short, 5'3" so I know I'm not going to keep up with the majority of other runners. I just try to do my best for me, and thaat's good enough.

Yep, Im short too at 5'1" I run between a 10 and 12 min mile depending my mood or how I feel. I'm happy with that.
    Short legs = more effort. :smile:
  • RisyaLifsheTova
    RisyaLifsheTova Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    When I did my 5M i averaged about 12:59
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I just started running about a month ago. Right now I average 11-12 min per mile, I can do two miles without stopping, at that pace. I'm hoping to improve my time to 10 min per mile & be able to do a 5K. Feel free to add me, us beginner runners need all the encouragement we can get! :)
  • melrose09
    Options

Yep, Im short too at 5'1" I run between a 10 and 12 min mile depending my mood or how I feel. I'm happy with that.
    Short legs = more effort. :smile:

i'm short too! 4'11"! Short people are awesome :) I think I replied to thi thread, but I didn't see it. my best it 9:13 but I rarely run just 1 mile. I usually do 3 and I'm right around a 10 min mile pace
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I was training for a half marathon and over longer runs, I aimed for 11 mins/mile. I have no idea how fast I could run just 1 mile, I don't think I've ever tried. I a LOT faster now than last year when I started - then I was running so slowly, the snails were going past me, but I kept going and am getting faster.

I ran 10k (about 6.2 miles) in 65 mins last weekend, though that was taking it pretty easy because of an injury. That was on a very flat course though, usually I run up and down hills near my home so my time is slower than that.

I don't think I'm every going to be a fast runner, but as I'm naturally very UNathletic, and I only started running at 44 - I'm happy to be able to run those distances at any pace!
  • toniRAD
    toniRAD Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My best was 9 something, now it's in between 11-12.
    I want to get back to 9 soon!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    There is no average. Everyone is different, depending on how long they've been running, weight, natural athleticism, etc. Just judge yourself against yourself and look for improvement.

My "best" mile is somewhere around 8:30, at one point. Right now, I'm up around 10:30 - 11:00 on a good day

This.

My personal best is a 9:27 mile...but my average is about an 11 minute mile.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Being embarrased of your son? What a sad, sad thing to type...shame on you

Relax! I think she means that she is embarrassed about her own pace because her son is FAST. A 5k (3.1 miles) in 20 minutes? HOLY COW THAT'S FAST! That's like a 6something minute mile!!!
  • mego07
    mego07 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    When I played soccer for High School I was able to run a 6:15 minute mile. I just started running again and it took me 10:45 to run it outdoors with hills and other terrain. I am training to complete a 5k on March 24th. We all have to start somewhere and it's great you are getting out there to do it. I know and understand it will take me a few months to get back down to a 6:15 and I am ok with that.