Scales Can Sabotage a Diet

Options
If you're trying to lose weight, it's important to keep track of how much you weigh. But can you ruin your attempt to get to a healthy weight by stepping on the scales too often?

Yes, says Keri Gans, RD, a nutrition consultant in New York City and a spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association. Weighing yourself every day, or multiple times a day, can become frustrating and sabotage your eating plan for a healthy weight.

"People get frustrated with the movement of the scale, and it might take them away from sticking with their plan," Gans says of individuals who hop on the scale frequently. "Especially if they see it going up one day — that could affect their sticking to their plan."

Scale-Obsession and Healthy Weight
Research backs up Gans's assertion about healthy weight. One study of Minnesota junior high and high school students found that girls who frequently weighed themselves often resorted to unhealthy dieting tactics such as skipping meals, smoking, and using diet pills or laxatives to reach a healthy weight. Frequent self-weighers also tended to gain more weight than girls who did not weigh themselves that often.

The problem is that a person's body weight can fluctuate wildly day to day, and even hour to hour. "If you weigh yourself first thing in the morning, you're going to have a different weight than if you weigh yourself at 5:30 p.m.," Gans says. "You weigh less in the morning because you're on an empty stomach, and you're usually a little bit dehydrated."

What you eat also makes a difference. For example, if your meal the night before was high in sodium, you might be a little bloated, with water affecting the weight on the scale. In addition, women's menstrual cycles can play havoc with the amount of water they are retaining. These hormonal variations can cause the scale to tip in a way not reflective of your overall healthy weight.

How to Weigh Yourself Appropriately
"I recommend an individual weigh themselves once a week," Gans says. "Once a week is a good time to check in and see if the scale is moving in the desired direction." You should always weigh yourself at the same time on the same day so there's consistency in your measurements.

Stephanie Wiseman, 23, one of Gans's clients, finds that weighing herself regularly is a helpful tool in reaching a healthy weight. "It gives me a good gauge as to how I'm doing," says Wiseman. "If you're not losing, you need to switch something — like your diet or exercise."

However, she follows Gans's recommendation and doesn't weigh herself too often. "There's too much variation, depending on what you've eaten and the time of day," Wiseman says. "If you're not on track, you can get discouraged and not want to continue the plan that day. And when you're trying to eat healthy, it's a day-to-day commitment."

So stay focused, stay active — and stay away from the scale but once a week.

Replies

• CrystalOKeefe
    Options
    If you're trying to lose weight, it's important to keep track of how much you weigh. But can you ruin your attempt to get to a healthy weight by stepping on the scales too often?

Yes, says Keri Gans, RD, a nutrition consultant in New York City and a spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association. Weighing yourself every day, or multiple times a day, can become frustrating and sabotage your eating plan for a healthy weight.

"People get frustrated with the movement of the scale, and it might take them away from sticking with their plan," Gans says of individuals who hop on the scale frequently. "Especially if they see it going up one day — that could affect their sticking to their plan."

Scale-Obsession and Healthy Weight
    Research backs up Gans's assertion about healthy weight. One study of Minnesota junior high and high school students found that girls who frequently weighed themselves often resorted to unhealthy dieting tactics such as skipping meals, smoking, and using diet pills or laxatives to reach a healthy weight. Frequent self-weighers also tended to gain more weight than girls who did not weigh themselves that often.

The problem is that a person's body weight can fluctuate wildly day to day, and even hour to hour. "If you weigh yourself first thing in the morning, you're going to have a different weight than if you weigh yourself at 5:30 p.m.," Gans says. "You weigh less in the morning because you're on an empty stomach, and you're usually a little bit dehydrated."

What you eat also makes a difference. For example, if your meal the night before was high in sodium, you might be a little bloated, with water affecting the weight on the scale. In addition, women's menstrual cycles can play havoc with the amount of water they are retaining. These hormonal variations can cause the scale to tip in a way not reflective of your overall healthy weight.

How to Weigh Yourself Appropriately
    "I recommend an individual weigh themselves once a week," Gans says. "Once a week is a good time to check in and see if the scale is moving in the desired direction." You should always weigh yourself at the same time on the same day so there's consistency in your measurements.

Stephanie Wiseman, 23, one of Gans's clients, finds that weighing herself regularly is a helpful tool in reaching a healthy weight. "It gives me a good gauge as to how I'm doing," says Wiseman. "If you're not losing, you need to switch something — like your diet or exercise."

However, she follows Gans's recommendation and doesn't weigh herself too often. "There's too much variation, depending on what you've eaten and the time of day," Wiseman says. "If you're not on track, you can get discouraged and not want to continue the plan that day. And when you're trying to eat healthy, it's a day-to-day commitment."

So stay focused, stay active — and stay away from the scale but once a week.
  • July
    July Posts: 239
    Options
    Okay, as a math teacher, I have to point this out: This demonstrates a common misconception between correlation and causation.

Just because girls who step on the scale everyday are more likely to do unhealthy dieting does not mean that stepping on the scale everday CAUSES you to diet in an unhealthy way.

It just happens that the two coincide together - or, in fact, girls who are prone to poor dieting or eating disorders are also prone to weighing themselves several times a day. That is, their obsession with dieting may cause them to get on the scale so often - not that getting on the scale so often causes the obsession with dieting.

I, for one, get on the scale once everyday. It's an objective measurement, and I can adjust my eating and measuring accordingly.
  • skinnymel
    skinnymel Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post-it relates to something I posted yesterday, feeling frustrated with the scale not moving much, etc.That said, weighing myself every morning since doing this MFP stuff has shown me exactly how real the sodium weight gain is-it's pretty amazing really. I didn't know anything about this before MFP-or calories for that matter.
    Good info!
  • FuXiaxue
    FuXiaxue Posts: 18
    Options
    I weigh myself once in the morning.

Sometimes I get on a few times throughout the day out of habit, but I don't count these weigh-ins as part of my ultimate weight loss.

This could apply to some people. But I don't think it applies to most.
  • christopherv
    Options
    Crystal. I absolutely agree with you. The scale is definately a factor. A big mental one. The scale has an "effect". Look at the "Biggest Loser".
    I can get on the scale before a work out and be one weight, then work out and be 5 pounds lighter, then drink 32 oz of water and be back to the starting weight.
    If you are going to use the scale for objective purposes, weigh in at the same time, perferably first thing in the morning.
    I try not to weigh at all and let my belt let me know where I am.
    Congrats on your weight loss.
  • indianagranny
    Options
    bumping so I can read later
  • RNLeslie
    RNLeslie Posts: 150
    Options
    I agree 100%. In fact, I attribute getting on the scale too often to my most recent failed weight loss attempt. It started with once a week, then went to once a day, then multiple times per day. I would tell myself that I was doing it "just out of curiosity." But apparently it really did affect me. I would tell myself that it didn't matter what I ate that day because apparently, even though I had done really well with my calories the day before, the stupid scale either didn't move or moved in the wrong direction. I didn't really realize that I was sabotaging myself until after I had pretty much given up. It was infuriating! :explode:
    This time, I am only weighing once per week (Saturday mornings first thing), and I am trying to avoid those Saturdays that I feel might be affected by water retention due to Aunt Flo. I just don't want anything to get me down that might affect my motivation or my opinion about how well I'm doing. It's actually the most mature I've ever felt about weight loss. I'm not sure what's changed, but something is definitely different this time around. I'm focusing on calorie deficit rather than loss of pounds. It's still pretty annoying when my BodyBugg/meticulous calorie counting says that I should have lost 4 pounds in a week, and then I step on the scale and have only lost 2. I'm fine with 2 pounds a week, and in fact I'm ecstatic about it, but I get mad when the BodyBugg website tries to tell me that I'm underestimating my calories. I think it's not possible, when I'm measuring or weighing everything, that my intake could be underestimated by 7000 per week! But, all rambling aside, I think it's wise not to get on the scale too often. As a nursing student, we talk about how weekly weights in the hospital are done to assess nutrition, and daily weights are used to assess fluid balance, so it makes perfect sense to me in my brain. Now if I can just keep my OCD in check... :blushing:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I agree 100%. In fact, I attribute getting on the scale too often to my most recent failed weight loss attempt.

It started with once a week, then went to once a day, then multiple times per day. I would tell myself that I was doing it "just out of curiosity." But apparently it really did affect me.

I would tell myself that it didn't matter what I ate that day because apparently, even though I had done really well with my calories the day before, the stupid scale either didn't move or moved in the wrong direction. I didn't really realize that I was sabotaging myself until after I had pretty much given up. It was infuriating! :explode:

This time, I am only weighing once per week (Saturday mornings first thing), and I am trying to avoid those Saturdays that I feel might be affected by water retention due to Aunt Flo. I just don't want anything to get me down that might affect my motivation or my opinion about how well I'm doing. It's actually the most mature I've ever felt about weight loss.

I'm not sure what's changed, but something is definitely different this time around. I'm focusing on calorie deficit rather than loss of pounds. It's still pretty annoying when my BodyBugg/meticulous calorie counting says that I should have lost 4 pounds in a week, and then I step on the scale and have only lost 2.

I'm fine with 2 pounds a week, and in fact I'm ecstatic about it, but I get mad when the BodyBugg website tries to tell me that I'm underestimating my calories. I think it's not possible, when I'm measuring or weighing everything, that my intake could be underestimated by 7000 per week!

But, all rambling aside, I think it's wise not to get on the scale too often. As a nursing student, we talk about how weekly weights in the hospital are done to assess nutrition, and daily weights are used to assess fluid balance, so it makes perfect sense to me in my brain. Now if I can just keep my OCD in check... :blushing:

I broke this down into smaller bites for myself, because I think what you had to say was really important. You are confirming the article to a T and also reminding me to stay OFF that thing until next Saturday!

Thank you for your post.
  • RNLeslie
    Options
    Yeah, sorry for the rambling. I have a lot of feelings and opinions about the scale, as you may be able to tell. Thanks for breaking it down... it IS a lot easier to read that way, lol!
  • nitag
    nitag Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I just got done reading this article off Healthyliving.com
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Yeah, sorry for the rambling. I have a lot of feelings and opinions about the scale, as you may be able to tell. Thanks for breaking it down... it IS a lot easier to read that way, lol!

OOOH I LOVE the new AV! Great picture!!

I really thought what you said was intelligent and easy to understand. I actually just went and put my scale waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back under my bed. I am not going to weigh until next week.

Whew, so glad that is off my shoulders!

:flowerforyou:
  • CrystalOKeefe
    Options

That is where I got it from just thought Id bring it over it may be helpfull to some?
  • arewethereyet
    Options

That is where I got it from just thought Id bring it over it may be helpfull to some?

very helpful Chrystal, thanks:flowerforyou:
  • CrystalOKeefe
    Options
    Welcome!
  • stef_e_b
    stef_e_b Posts: 593
    Options
    I feel like I need to weigh myself daily to keep on track. A lot of damage can be done in 1 week. I don't know, I've tried to switch but now I'm addicted. I need to weigh myself every morning. Maybe I should curb this obsession.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I feel like I need to weigh myself daily to keep on track. A lot of damage can be done in 1 week. I don't know, I've tried to switch but now I'm addicted. I need to weigh myself every morning. Maybe I should curb this obsession.

steph I was like that.......but now am obsessed. I think you need to do what works for you, and when it stops working...............try something else!!

By the the numbers you are doing everything right!!:drinker:
  • angelascott919
    Options
    I also weigh myself every morning. I understand that it isn't exactly accurate and only count my weight once a week on the same day usually also in the morning. I have however gotten into a habit of getting on throughout the day to just see where I am. But I think I am going to have my husband put the scale someplace I can't reach and only let me weigh once a week. Maybe seeing the larger decrease once a week will be more motivating than seeing the small daily decline.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    Options

steph_e_b

The fact that you used the words "I NEED to" , "addicted" , and "obsession" in a 40-word post makes me believe you are onto something! :laugh:

I haven't had a scale since mine "accidentally" had a pitcher of water "fall" on it over a year ago. I am somehow making it from day-to-day! :glasses:
  • RNLeslie
    Options
    Yes, let your hubby hide it! You are only a stone's throw away from the way I screwed myself up by being so obsessed with the scale. I think it's good to think every day about what you are doing in order to make progress toward your goal, but stepping on that scale every day is like asking for trouble. Right now you say you're doing it to gauge progress, but I'll be that it's only a matter of time before you get frustrated. It's infuriating because sometimes it's not obvious what we've done to make the scale shift in that awful upward direction (ahem, hormones anyone? :explode: ). I beg you not to do it to yourself!
  • RNLeslie
    Options

steph_e_b

The fact that you used the words "I NEED to" , "addicted" , and "obsession" in a 40-word post makes me believe you are onto something! :laugh:

I haven't had a scale since mine "accidentally" had a pitcher of water "fall" on it over a year ago. I am somehow making it from day-to-day! :glasses:
    Lmao! :laugh:
    Maybe I should accidentally let something happen to mine too! Oops!