Couch to 5k in 2 months

Options
A friend just shared this link with me. I've struggled with pushing through pain/winded feeling to be able to be a full-fledged jogger (big boobs don't help either when I have to hold "the girls.") I'm going to start this program on the treadmill with my next workout.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Replies

• luckylanie13
    Options
    I just started this yesterday, and it is actually enjoyable! It was not too intense, so it is a good program to ease into jogging/running. I am training for a 5K that is in May; I am rather excited about both the 5K and this C25K program! Best of luck!
  • liog
    liog Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Here is a treadmill version:

http://www.c25k.com/c25k_treadmill.html
  • bellinghamtori
    Options
    My sister did this program and loved it. I would like to do it, but need to learn how to run correctly on a treadmill so that my shin's don't hurt every time I'm done.
  • fightingautism
    Options
    My sister did this program and loved it. I would like to do it, but need to learn how to run correctly on a treadmill so that my shin's don't hurt every time I'm done.

A marathon runner I work with told me that I'm likely developing them from allowing the front part of my foot to smack down rather than trying to let my heels hit first & rolling onto the rest of my foot. I tried doing it more like that, I've always been a toe-jogger/ foot smacker. Be ready though, your muscles will be sore if you significantly change your gait. I tried that a wk ago, I can tell I'm going to have to consciously think about it for a long time before I can undo my bad habit.
  • Shannonjoe1
    Shannonjoe1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 6 of couch25k and LOVE IT!
  • fightingautism
    Options
    I started this today. I was unable to complete the jogging due to a painful left leg. I'm going to try again tomorrow & do a 20 min walking warm up instead of 5 minutes. I think my aging body needs longer to truly warm up. I may also take a couple ibuprofen prior to starting to try & minimize the inflammation.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 2 - so far so good, and I've never been a runner! I run outside and take my phone with me - there are a lot of apps that coach you through it.
  • E1rlindsay
    E1rlindsay Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am also on week 2...i did this program last summer, completed it and ran two 5ks! Then i fell off the wagon this fall, gained a bunch of weight back and am now starting over! My goal is (5) 5ks this summer!
  • sanaroph
    Options

May I suggest going to a running store and get properly fitted for running shoes? I had this problem and (a new) proper pair of sneakers made a world of difference.
  • flibberdajibbitt
    flibberdajibbitt Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've done this before, and am doing it again. It's fantastic! I got myself a pair of good shoes, and with this program, no shin splints!
  • rach2705
    rach2705 Posts: 107
    Options
    I went straight in at week 5 on this as been exercising since last summer. I'm using a treadmill and today did day 3 of week 5 and amazed myself in running for 20 minutes non stop. I'm going for slower over distance to build up my stamina.

If I can run, believe me anyone can.
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    I completed C25K and then the bridge to 10K. Started running when I was over 200 lbs.
    Boobs - I wore 3 bra's to keep the girls in place.
    Shoes - went to a running store and got fitted properly.

I credit the C25K B210K programs with my first 50 lbs of weight loss. I remember running the 90 second intervals and thinking I was about to die. But it totally got easier. Good luck to you! Can't reccommend the program enough! :heart:
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options

May I suggest going to a running store and get properly fitted for running shoes? I had this problem and (a new) proper pair of sneakers made a world of difference.

I agree with this! I do W6D3 tomorrow. When I started I had HORRIBLE shin pains. I went to a running store and the guy told me that a.) my shoes were too old and b.) I was wearing a shoe too small. They will also look at the bottom of your shoe and suggest some different pairs based on how you land on your feet. Plus, its all free! It made a world of difference for me!

Good luck to all with the program. I am loving it!!