Polar F-11 fitness test

Options
Wolfena
Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
How accurate is this test? Why do I ask??

I redid my HRM fitness test both yesterday morning and then again today to double check it- I got a reading of only 26 "fair". Last August when I bought the HRM the fitness test gave me an "elite" reading of 55... it went down a bit to 47 & 48 by November (still "elite"). I'd redone it last sometime in early January and had a reading of 37, which was "good". My current reading of 26 is lower than my boyfriend's reading of 33... and he is at least 50 pounds oveweight and exercises MAYBE once a month. He also doesn't put near as much thought and effort into eating only "healthy" foods. He's also got high blood pressure and takes medication for that.

Yes, my exercise has slowed down a lot since last summer due to a job change (was 4-6 days a week of medium/heavy cardio, now down to 1-3 days a week of light/med/heavy cardio now) But I have been following the HRM's program for "maintaining" my heart health and 90% of the time I reach or exceed the HRM's program expectations.

My resting heart rate, which at one time was in the mid 40's, is now generally in the mid-high 50's- which is still lower than "average" so I had figured I was still OK.

If eating healthy foods 85% of the time and exercising 1-3 days a week is not good enough to even keep even my heart health in at least the "good" range, what's the point?? I feel like I'm just doomed to be overweight and unhealthy.

Yes, I am having a very hard time with maintenance lately and this is just like a kick in the butt. I am still 50 pounds down from my highest weight, but I feel like it's all just going to creep right back if I turn my head for one second! It's insanely frustrating and I'm wondering if it's even worth all the worry, stress, guilt and depression it's causing.

Replies

• Wolfena
    Options
    How accurate is this test? Why do I ask??

I redid my HRM fitness test both yesterday morning and then again today to double check it- I got a reading of only 26 "fair". Last August when I bought the HRM the fitness test gave me an "elite" reading of 55... it went down a bit to 47 & 48 by November (still "elite"). I'd redone it last sometime in early January and had a reading of 37, which was "good". My current reading of 26 is lower than my boyfriend's reading of 33... and he is at least 50 pounds oveweight and exercises MAYBE once a month. He also doesn't put near as much thought and effort into eating only "healthy" foods. He's also got high blood pressure and takes medication for that.

Yes, my exercise has slowed down a lot since last summer due to a job change (was 4-6 days a week of medium/heavy cardio, now down to 1-3 days a week of light/med/heavy cardio now) But I have been following the HRM's program for "maintaining" my heart health and 90% of the time I reach or exceed the HRM's program expectations.

My resting heart rate, which at one time was in the mid 40's, is now generally in the mid-high 50's- which is still lower than "average" so I had figured I was still OK.

If eating healthy foods 85% of the time and exercising 1-3 days a week is not good enough to even keep even my heart health in at least the "good" range, what's the point?? I feel like I'm just doomed to be overweight and unhealthy.

Yes, I am having a very hard time with maintenance lately and this is just like a kick in the butt. I am still 50 pounds down from my highest weight, but I feel like it's all just going to creep right back if I turn my head for one second! It's insanely frustrating and I'm wondering if it's even worth all the worry, stress, guilt and depression it's causing.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I do not own a polar anything, I use other methods. By nature your body will change, our bodies change fitness levels quite easily...unfortunately in some cases. Many factors including age and dehydration can change your level of fitness.

In order to keep our bodies fit we need to continue to challenge them. If you have decreased your exercise, even though you have lost weight and probably feel fitter, your decrease in exercise will absolutely affect your fitness level.

Frustrating and hard as it may be you need to find time in your new schedule to get your exercise in.
  • Wolfena
    Options
    I realize the more you exercise the better your fitness level and the condition of your heart will be... but I don't think that everyone has to be a super athlete just to maintain general life fitness!

That's what my aim is right now... to maintain my weight and stay healthy. I would think that 1-3 exercise sessions a week and eating healthfully the majority of the time would do that. It's near impossible for me to continue the exercise habits I had before, unless I intend to give up and hour or two of sleep (also not healthy)

Plus, exercising so much was more my weight loss style - not intended to last forever. I always knew that at some point I'd have to settle down a little, it was unrealistic FOR ME to go on like that endlessly!

I just am so surprised that that HRM fitness level number would drop so quickly and drastically - when I'm STILL working out! (as I said, I've been following the HRM's program to maintain my heart health at the level it was when I tested at 37)
  • fiddlechic
    fiddlechic Posts: 196
    Options
    I wouldnt let a HRM tell me that I was or wasnt fit. If you are eating healthy and exercising it sounds to me like youre doing great. I have a polar HRM and I trust it's reading for calories burned but I would trust my Doctor more when it come to hearing about my heart health.
  • Wolfena
    Options
    bumping this up.... hoping some of the "week day" people might have something to say that'll make me feel better!
    :wink:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Since you are not getting the answer you were apparently looking for why don't you look up the information on the polar website or call their tech support. At least they should be able to explain to you the difference.

I don't think you are the first on MFP to bring this up either. When it comes right down to it if you aren't maintaining the same kind of workout schedule you were when you first got it your fitness level will not be the same.

It doesn't take long for your body to decline in strength and stamina....unfortunately. I know you mentioned a new work schedule has hampered your efforts to get more workouts in but even mini sessions will help keep your stamina. Maybe you have a few minutes in the mornings and a few minutes at night or at lunch to get 10-15 minutes in and keep your strength. This is just as effective as one 30 minute session.

Hope you figure something out that helps you :flowerforyou: