Runners: Running back-to-back days?

Options
It's been about 7 months since I started running (starting with C25K). I haven't tried running back-to-back days. I know that for beginning runners it's not recommended, and that there are those who say no one should do it, no matter how long they've been running.

My regular run days are Tuesday and Thursday. My usual distance is 5K, in about 38 min, if that gives you an indication of where I'm at in my conditioning.

At what point might I consider doing back-to-back days? I don't plan to run 5 or more days a week, anyway - my schedule doesn't allow me that much alone time! - but I could occasionally work in shorter runs of 1.5-2 miles. I don't want to hurt myself, but I'd like to do a bit more running during the week. When and how would I start doing that?

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Start now and see how you feel. Since you have been running 7 months this shouldn't be a problem. Start with the shorter run like you planned and if that feels ok then make it longer if you want.

With training your body will adapt to whatever training load you apply as long as you apply it gradually over time within your body's capability.