Stir fry?

SnazzyTraveller
SnazzyTraveller Posts: 457 Member
Anyone have any healthy and yummy stir fry ideas? or how about any big no-nos? Is sesame oil a good or bad idea?

Replies

• WendyFlynn
    WendyFlynn Posts: 139 Member
    I do not like traditional vegetables (cauliflower, broccoli etc) at all but love peppers and mushrooms. I was literally down to basics last night as due to go shopping so I tried to make a stir fry with what was left:

Red/Green/Yellow Peppers 100g
    Mushrooms 80g
    Onions

I added 30ml of low fat soured cream and 1 tbsp of philidelphia extra light and seasoned with salt and pepper. It made a great big portion for less than 100 cals and it was delicious and less than 2g fat. I had a chicken breast seasoned with Fajita spices to accompany it.

I am sure you could toss in some bean sprouts/water chestnuts/mange tout without adding too many extra cals.

It was so nice I am going to have it again this evening!
  • girl_afraid82
    girl_afraid82 Posts: 178 Member
    I tend to use the Frylight oil sprays as they are low calorie, but sesame oil would be good too, although only a small amount.
    I tried adding a little honey to mine the other day and it was really good... acted as a good 'oil' too so nothing burnt!
  • - 1 teaspoon ginger
    - 1 or 2 garlic cloves
    - chilli, deseeded
    - 1 teablespoon sesame oil
    - a little rice wine vinegar if you like and a splash of soy sauce (both at the end)
    - peppers, brocolli, onions, baby corn, beansprouts, grated carrot
    -fry it all up with king prawn or chicken and stir in whole wheat noodles at the end. If you up the proportion of beansprouts you can half the amount of noodles without even noticing really.

Another lovely sauce is chilli, garlic, turmeric, a squeeze of lime juice, lots of fresh coriander and reduced fat coconut milk (just a little)

Enjoy x
  • I got this idea from a local Chinese place that does Tepanyaki. You basically stir fry all the ingredients (less water, soy sauce and garlic) in a hot pan and then at the end add the soy sauce and garlic (if you want them) and then add a little water and cook for a minute or so. This only takes a few minutes to cook and is about 292 calories a dish. The sodium content will be high if you use soy sauce though.

Serves 2:
    1/2 pack of Fresh Egg Noodles
    1/2 pack of Beansprouts
    1 red Pepper
    1 Onions
    10 Mushrooms
    Splash of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    Splash of Soy Sauce
    Splash of Garlic
    Water
  • i use a little rapeseed oil as its the healthiest oil in the world and has fewer calories than any other oil. its known as a good fat and helps lower cholesterol and is flavourless.
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Does anybody have a good substitute for soy sauce? Even the low sodium kind in my usual stir fry sauce puts me over my sodium limit.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Bok Choy is amazing in stir frys. So good!
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,319 Member
    I think sesame oil is a fantastic idea! I like a mix of that and hot chili oil, adds a nice toasty kick to it! yum!
  • TigerH34
    TigerH34 Posts: 7 Member
    If you are going to use soy, look for fermented soy. It is the only healthy version.

Coconut oil is great for cooking to, if you can find it.
  • minime2b
    minime2b Posts: 168
    I use the Pepper, mushroom and green onion combo and steam the vegies til they're until they aren't crunchy ( no added fat or calories) add soy sauce and I can barely tell the difference. My Husband easts it too and is great with it :-)
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,871 Member
    Sesame oil is a healthy oil, but the flavor is too delicate for high heat cooking. I stir fry in a non stick skilled with just a tiny bit of cacoa or peanut oil, and the drizzle toasted sesame oil over the dish at the very end. The flavor is amazing! Stir fry is very versatile and a great way to pack in lots of veggies. Just watch how much soy sauce you add, since it is a sodium bomb!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    I put peppers, onion, mushroom, mangetout, baby corn, cabbage (at the end), sweet potato, carrot and swede into my actifry (use the food processor) I add some chicken breast and sesame oil and cook for 15 mins, add the cabbage and 2 aldi hoisin and garlic sauces, soy sauce, lime juice and fresh noodles. Makes a huge plateful for 2 for less than 500 calories. Actifrys are fab! X
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    I do not like traditional vegetables (cauliflower, broccoli etc) at all but love peppers and mushrooms. I was literally down to basics last night as due to go shopping so I tried to make a stir fry with what was left:

Red/Green/Yellow Peppers 100g
    Mushrooms 80g
    Onions

I added 30ml of low fat soured cream and 1 tbsp of philidelphia extra light and seasoned with salt and pepper. It made a great big portion for less than 100 cals and it was delicious and less than 2g fat. I had a chicken breast seasoned with Fajita spices to accompany it.

I am sure you could toss in some bean sprouts/water chestnuts/mange tout without adding too many extra cals.

It was so nice I am going to have it again this evening!

Sounds delicious! X
  • I substitutes the oil with rice vinegar.. Its great for the digestive system and its low in calories and the flavor is amazing!!!
  • Laner07
    Laner07 Posts: 100 Member
    Instead of oil I use a bit of water so the veggies don't burn. For added flavour I use spices or lemon.
  • Hubbafer
    Hubbafer Posts: 81 Member
    What type of noodle would be best? I'm making stir fry this weekend, and not sure which one to pick up at the store .. ?
  • Tyson Premium 100% All Natural - Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breast, 3.25 ounces
    Mahatma - Rice Brown 3/4 Cup Prepared = 1/4 C Dry = 1 Serving, 0.3 cup prepared
    Mr. Yoshida's - Marinade & Cooking Sauce , 1 tbsp
    Peppers - Sweet, green, raw, 0.5 large (2-1/4 per lb, approx 3-3/4" long, 3" dia)
    Peppers - Sweet, red, raw, 0.5 large (2-1/4 per lb, approx 3-3/4" long, 3" dia)
    Vidalia - Onion, 0.3 medium
    Cal 327.5 Carbs 55 Fat 3 Protein 32
  • dawny17
    dawny17 Posts: 77 Member
    instead of rice or noodles...check out the other post under recipes for the rice subsitute, i havent tried it, but i did read about it some where else (not on MFP)....might help out with your stirfry....cut calories where ever we can :)

I think I might try it for lunch.....
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566 Member
    Bumping for later. I love stir fry! I might have a few recipes i can add later too.
  • Yummy Stir Fry

Tyson Premium 100% All Natural - Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breast, 3.25 ounces
    Mahatma - Rice Brown 3/4 Cup Prepared = 1/4 C Dry = 1 Serving, 0.3 cup prepared
    Mr. Yoshida's - Marinade & Cooking Sauce , 1 tbsp
    Peppers - Sweet, green, raw, 0.5 large (2-1/4 per lb, approx 3-3/4" long, 3" dia)
    Peppers - Sweet, red, raw, 0.5 large (2-1/4 per lb, approx 3-3/4" long, 3" dia)
    Vidalia - Onion, 0.3 medium 15 4 0 0

Cal Carbs Fat Protein
    Total: 327.5 55 3 32