Strength training, no cardio?

Options
So, I hate cardio. Haaaaate. It bores me to death in any form. On the weekends, I enjoy taking my kid for a walk, but that's the most I really want to do. However, I enjoy various types of strength training. Would it be reasonable to focus on strength training and not worry about cardio? Will I eventually be able to achieve a fit body without cardio?

Replies

• Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    yes you can. You do not have to do cardio. It s better to do some cardio in order to have a better VO2 max. Maybe try some HIIT , it does the job and last 20 minutes max.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I wish I could do your cardio, and you could do my strength training, and we'd balance out! :D
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Yes this is pretty much fine, though you will be in better overall health if you do some cardio as well.

Check out barbell complexes. It's basically cardio disguised as weight lifting. Fun and intense.

Or, HIIT, which is brutal, but short.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    how will you know how many exercise calories YOU HAVE TO eat back if you don't do cardio? mfp doesn't track strength training calories. you're going to go into starvation mode.

edit: ^sarcasm, just in case....
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    how will you know how many exercise calories YOU HAVE TO eat back if you don't do cardio? mfp doesn't track strength training calories. you're going to go into starvation mode.

1200+ posts? Troll detected.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options

lol it's called a heart rate monitor?
  • wbgolden
    Options
    wow...
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    circuit training..
  • wbgolden
    Options

my god you're clever.

you've clearly done your research. my profile is open. check my posts.....and maybe do that next time BEFORE.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    yes you can. You do not have to do cardio. It s better to do some cardio in order to have a better VO2 max. Maybe try some HIIT , it does the job and last 20 minutes max.

I like yanicka's advice.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    When I was 14, I lost 85lbs on strength training alone. And a bit of walking/strolling, to and from the bus stop, but my main exercises was 30 minutes of strength every night for 9 months, and it did my body good! Until now, that is. LOL

Love and Alohas,
    Ihilani Kapuniai
  • kevinlynch3
    kevinlynch3 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Cutting back on cardio and increasing strength training myself and I actually like cardio. HIIT is the way to go to get in some cardio.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

my god you're clever.

you've clearly done your research. my profile is open. check my posts.....and maybe do that next time BEFORE.

y u mad?
  • wbgolden
    Options

my god you're clever.

y u mad?
    i'm tired and these damned goats keep trip-trapping on my bridge.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Even if you decide to do *no* cardio make sure you do at least 5 minutes to warm up and don't forget to cool down at the end :)
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options

my god you're clever.

y u mad?
    i'm tired and these damned goats keep trip-trapping on my bridge.

Lol this right here is why we need a sarcasm font. Go to bed, golden. :-P I'll guard the bridge for a while.

To the OP: cardio is what helps your heart and lungs perform better, so you don't have a heart attack while lifting. What about dancing? Turn on itunes and shake it. Invite a couple of friends over or join a class. :-)
  • kandicekaye
    kandicekaye Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    i dont like strength training, more so than anything i dont like it because it doesnt tell me how many calories ive burned so i leave feeling stronger, but thats it.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    i dont like strength training, more so than anything i dont like it because it doesnt tell me how many calories ive burned so i leave feeling stronger, but thats it.

You can come up with a pretty decent estimate. This site has served me well http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php
  • 15in8
    15in8 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    The best type of exercise is the type you like. If you force yourself to do it, it is not sustainable. You may grow to like some forms, you currently do not, but if you like strength, continue with it and if you do not get results, as a previous poster mentioned, hit the circuits.
  • jacintalove
    Options
    omg! this is the funniest sequence of posts ever!! Looks like everyones grumpy and needs something to eat!! (healthy tho right!) and i'd say DO YOUR CARDIO!!! there are so many things you have to do that you dont like in your life! But you do them anyways....once you see how your body changes with a good cardio regime, you'll feel guilty when you have to skip it! its addicting-who doesnt like a good shot of adrenaline? Natural high!!!!!