Running Outside vs. the treadmill

Options
I've been trying to log my exercise daily and I notice there's no way to say if you're running outside vs. on the treadmill. I've heard running outside burns a lot more more calories. Does anyone know roughly how many more calories you burn running outside (with a few hills) vs. on the treadmill? I know I can easily run 50 min. on my treadmill and I ran 40 min. outside today and was beat!

Replies

• jlregan
    jlregan Posts: 9
    Options
    I've been trying to log my exercise daily and I notice there's no way to say if you're running outside vs. on the treadmill. I've heard running outside burns a lot more more calories. Does anyone know roughly how many more calories you burn running outside (with a few hills) vs. on the treadmill? I know I can easily run 50 min. on my treadmill and I ran 40 min. outside today and was beat!
  • sonia2
    sonia2 Posts: 154
    Options
    It only burns more if you are running noticeable up hill, otherwise its not that much of a difference to worry about.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Here is what I noticed. I have an HRM and when I work out on the treadmill 4.0 for 2 miles I burn 200-250 calories. When I go to the walking park and do 2 miles in 30 minutes I burn 350-400.

Now this is with an HRM so I know I am burning more cals. I experiment a lot to help offset the boredom associated with exercise. I went at the same time of day, ate the same breakfast, had the same amount of sleep the night before.

So I am convinced you do burn more hitting the road than the rubber.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Plus-- treadmills are dangerous-- :wink:

funny-strange-people-1.gif

(oh, no I didn't-- )
  • tkrull
    tkrull Posts: 15
    Options
    I think you feel beat down when you run outside is because your doing a lot more wear and tear on your joints vs the treadmill. It just makes sense that your body will get more tired with all the beating it takes running outside vs the treadmill. Therefore increaseing your HR and increasing your cals burned, how much i have no idea, best thing is to get a HR monitor so you take the guessing out of it
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I think it has more to do with a machine helping you move along. On the road it is just you and your muscles kicking off the road or trail. On a treadmill there is a rubber band helping your movements.

I love the treadmill, I love the great outdoors. Excercise is good no matter where you get it!
  • arewethereyet
    Options

(oh, no I didn't-- )

oh thanks Marla...........anyone know how to get grape juice off a computer screen??:angry:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • rowerc2
    rowerc2 Posts: 158
    Options
    The treadmill is an excellent alternative to running outside;
    1 - don't have to worry about dogs
    2 - can watch tv
    3 - can go to the washroom
    4 - don't have to worry about the rain
    5 - the treadmill is alot more scientific and you can really custom tailor your workouts

That being said, you can't beat a nice early morning run on a nice summer day.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I think I got more stomach toning with running outside. But when it's snowy, icy, cold all winter long the treadmill is for me. Even though I've seen the dangers of it:laugh: Thanks Marla, I laugh every time I see that.
  • Marla64
    Options
    I think I got more stomach toning with running outside. But when it's snowy, icy, cold all winter long the treadmill is for me. Even though I've seen the dangers of it:laugh: Thanks Marla, I laugh every time I see that.

:wink: :laugh: :wink:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options

(oh, no I didn't-- )

:laugh: :laugh:

I wear a body bug and a nike + when I run, inside and out and there is a small difference, usually from inside because I push myself, outside I pace myself so I can go the distance. There is probably not a huge calorie difference between inside and out for most people. Unless you had a strong head wind, tons of hills or objects to jump over :wink:

Both are great ways to run, treadmills are excellent for intervals and speed work, you might be more inclined to try going faster or longer when you are on the mill.
  • Marla64
    Options

(oh, no I didn't-- )

:laugh: :laugh:

I wear a body bug and a nike + when I run, inside and out and there is a small difference, usually from inside because I push myself, outside I pace myself so I can go the distance. There is probably not a huge calorie difference between inside and out for most people. Unless you had a strong head wind, tons of hills or objects to jump over :wink:

Both are great ways to run, treadmills are excellent for intervals and speed work, you might be more inclined to try going faster or longer when you are on the mill.

Ha-- I get it "inclined" to try going faster on the treadmill-- ha-- I get it. :wink: