the fine line

Options
have reached my goal weight this week, unsure what i want to do from here so i was playing around on the site (come on who doesnt spend hours on here??)... anyway what i found...

for me... 65kg 165cm (5" 6)
i can eat 1500 calories per day if i want to lose 1lb per week
i can eat 1750 calories per day if i want to lose 1/2lb per week
to maintain i can eat 2000 calories per day

so if i eat 2250 calories a day surely i would gain 1/2lb per week???

in my opinion thats quiet a fine line of over eating - only an extra 250 calories per day, thats only a slice of banana cake, or an extra slice of toast with butter and honey. im guessing i'll be using mfp longer than i thought for maintenance. i wonder if there will ever be life without calorie counting now that it has started????

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Congrats on achieving your goal weight!

Keep on logging/tracking as long as you like, but feel free to take a week or two or 12 off. You have likely developed good habits and intuition to keep you on track. What's the worst case scenario? You gain a couple of kg? If that happens, you know you can can just get back into a calorie deficit for a bit and burn off the excess.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Good advice here ^^.

I think maintenance is another process again - I'd never given it much thought before, I was always focused on losing the weight and never gave enough thought about how to keep it off. I think it comes down to trial and error really - although the calorie numbers are small, the amount of activity in our day varies so they can balance each other out.
    I'm still here for the logging - and because I can't stay off the forums!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I think ill always calorie count, and I will still want to support my friends when I get to goal, because they have supported me loads! X
  • kristih84
    Options
    You just need to maintain genuine lifestyle changes, then not have to count calories all your life! If you know the basics around what foods equate to in cals etc you will be fine. 80/20 rule!
    You should start incl strength training now that your at your goal, you burn fat for longer afterwards, as opposed to cardio, where you only burn fat whilst doing the exercise.
  • hailz840
    hailz840 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    @taso - great advice, i will certainly log til i feel comfortable then hopefully down the track i will not be so reliant on logging that i can take a break

@rubybelle - forums here are great, nice to chat to like minded people with similar goals of health and fitness.

@zara - this is certainly a lifestyle and great that you are supporting your friends still
  • hailz840
    hailz840 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    yes totally agree kristi, you know how much i am loving running at the moment - today was so hard for me to have a rest day but i thought it necessary after doing yesterdays run/bike/run. i still plan to exercise 5 days a week and be mindful of what i eat

have my strength training program and will be starting it in two weeks after our event x2 per week