To the Diabetics

Options
How do you manage your diet? I am seeing that this is my biggest challenge. My job keeps me on the road all day so it's easy to grab fast food. I'm doing my best to swear off of that. What I have done lately is start my day with a Glucerna shake (regular) and for lunch I will drink one of the new Hunger Smart shakes they have. I ran out so the last couple of days I've found myself "snacking". The glucerna products have help me keep a balance on my blood sugars, but I want to make sure I'm not depriving myself of other things.

Can anybody recommend a good cookbook?

Replies

• sexysize12
    sexysize12 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    :smile: go to the american diabetes assoication website they have a cook book and also lots of great advice for living with diabetes, exercise, nutriton etc. I hope this helps you.

Book examples are Heart Smart Diabetic Cook Book and The New Soul Food Cook Book for people with diabetes these and others are offered on the website.
  • sexysize12
    sexysize12 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    It's good to know glucerna works for someone, but for me it raises my blood sugar to much so I need to eat whole foods and snacks. I eat chicken salads if I have to eat out at a fast food or even stop by a grocery store and buy a pre made salad at the deli, I snack on almonds and a little fruit or veggies, for breakfast I eat1/2 cup bran flakes and 1/2 cup 1 percent milk and a boiled egg, coffee and lunch a turkey sandwiche on wheat with veggies, dinner has been a protein such as chicken baked and brussel sprouts. I'm staying away from to many breads, potatoes, even oatmeal has raised my blood sugar to much if I have them i make sure it's early in the day and not at my last meal of the night. You must try different things and see what works for you. I'm also taking a mulit vitamin and omega fish oil capsule incase i miss any important vitamins in my day, which I'm sure I'm not I'm eating at the high end of my calories to stay satisfied but able to lose weight still. I suppose to meet with a nutritionist again for consultation on my eating, I would suggest this to anyone if you're able to do the same. Although I'm not sure if I look forward to the meeting this is my thired nutritionist and I don't really know what's left to learn. Because I know what I've learned is being diabetic is trial and error with the food what I can eat you may not be able to tolerate, they tell me I can eat everything pretty much in moderation and it's just not true unless I want my blood sugar to soar like crazy. Best of care to you.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I eat strictly controlled carb, no grains or legumes, limited fruit and dairy (raw). My goal was to reverse Diabetes, not just control it.

That glucerna stuff is not real food and contains soy which I stay far away from.

Protein, fats and carbs from vegetables is the way I eat and I am on no medications any longer.

The American Diabetes Association is a joke.

ingredients in glucerna:
    ~~~Ingredients~~~

Vanilla: -D Water, maltodextrin (corn), sodium and calcium caseinates, maltitol, high-oleic safflower oil, fructose, soy protein isolate, soy fiber, fructooligosaccharides, canola oil, calcium phosphate tribasic, magnesium chloride, natural and artificial flavor, soy lecithin, sodium citrate, magnesium phosphate dibasic, potassium citrate, potassium chloride, potassium phosphate dibasic, ascorbic acid, choline chloride, alpha-tocopheryl acetate, gellan gum, acesulfame potassium, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, niacinamide, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, cupric sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin A palmitate, thiamine chloride hydrochloride, riboflavin, chromium chloride, beta-carotene, folic acid, biotin, sodium molybdate, potassium iodide, sodium selenate, phylloquinone, cyanocobalamin and vitamin D3.

**Chocolate flavor contains 3 mg caffeine per 8-fl-oz serving.