slow cooker recipes

Options
hey everyone..i'm looking for some healthy slow cooker recipe's..any suggestions?

Replies

• karilynn
    Options
    hey everyone..i'm looking for some healthy slow cooker recipe's..any suggestions?
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I made chicken tacos last week.

4-5 chicken breasts
    1 cup taco sauce
    1 cup sour cream (I used light, but fat free would probably work too)
    1 package of taco seasoning.

Cook 7-8 on low or 3-4 on high, shread and return to crockpot until ready to eat. Serve as tacos or nachos
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I just bought a cook book called Fix it and Forget It...I love it!!!!! I use it almost everyday! Also try Allrecipes.com and under the search enter "slow cooker" they have great recipes!! If you create a profile you can save recipes in an online recipe box....it is a really good site to try!
  • aleac10
    aleac10 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    there isa really great book called "not your other's slow cooker".
    (there are 2 isbn # 's for some reason)
    isbn-13: 978-1-55832-245-5
    isbn-10: 1-55832-245-0
    it is great - i eat a lot of oatmeal but as the steel cut variety takes way too long in the morning before work i cook them using one of the recipes overnight.
    but there are a ton of other great recipes in here with and without meat.
  • goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Here's an easy and fast one-

4 chicken breasts
    1 can LF/FF cream of Chicken Soup
    1 Can Cheddar Cheese soup

Can add seasonings like Mrs. Dash, garlic, etc.
    Serve over rice or noodles.

I dont know the nutritional info off the top of my head- sorry!
  • AtlantaSara
    Options
    2 12-ounce bottles of beer (preferably lager)
    1 tablespoon chopped canned chipotle chilies in adobo sauce, plus 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 pound dried black beans, rinsed
    1 1/2 pounds boneless pork butt (pork shoulder)
    Kosher salt
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1/2 cup store-bought refrigerated fresh salsa
    1/4 cup fresh cilantro

In the bowl of a slow cooker, combine the beer, 3 cups water, the chilies, adobo sauce, cumin, onion, beans, pork, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Set the slow cooker to high and cook, covered, until the beans are tender and the pork pulls apart easily, 4 hours. Using a fork, separate the pork into large pieces. Divide among individual bowls and top with the sour cream, salsa, and cilantro.

If You Don't Have a Slow Cooker: Heat oven to 300° F. Follow the recipe above using a Dutch oven or large casserole. Bake, covered, until the pork pulls apart easily, 4 hours.

Yield: Makes 6 servings

CALORIES 609 (37% from fat); FAT 25g (sat 10g); SUGAR 5g; PROTEIN 36g; CHOLESTEROL 94mg; SODIUM 599mg; FIBER 12g; CARBOHYDRATE 55g
  • AtlantaSara
    Options
    8 skinless chicken thighs
    Kosher salt and pepper
    2 onions, quartered
    1 pound small red potatoes
    1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces
    12 cloves garlic, peeled
    1 orange, cut into 1/4-inch rings
    2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
    1 tablespoon honey
    8 sprigs thyme

Pat the chicken dry with paper towels and season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In the bowl of a slow cooker, combine the chicken, onions, potatoes, squash, garlic, orange, broth, honey, and thyme. Set the slow cooker to high and cook, covered, until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is cooked through, about 2 1/2 hours. Divide the chicken mixture into individual bowls.

If You Don't Have a Slow Cooker: Heat oven to 325° F. Follow the recipe above using a Dutch oven or large casserole. Bake, covered, until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is cooked through, 2 to 2 1/2 hours.

CALORIES 328 (19% from fat); FAT 7g (sat 2g); SUGAR 9g; PROTEIN 35g; CHOLESTEROL 127mg; SODIUM 479mg; FIBER 4g; CARBOHYDRATE 33g
  • AtlantaSara
    Options
    Susie Cushner

Slow-Cooker Recipe: Seafood Gumbo

This recipe skips the tedious steps and hard-to-find spices of traditional gumbos without compromising any of the flavor. Serve over rice.

1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
    2 stalks celery, sliced (1 1/2 cups)
    1 medium onion, sliced (1 cup)
    1 green pepper, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    2 cups chicken broth
    1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    2 teaspoons kosher salt
    1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
    1 pound large raw shrimp, cleaned
    1 pound fresh or frozen crabmeat
    1 10-ounce box frozen okra, thawed and sliced crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces

In a large skillet, over medium heat, cook the bacon until crisp. With a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker. Discard all but a thin coating of fat from the skillet. Add the celery, onion, green pepper, and garlic to the skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Spoon the vegetables into the cooker and add the broth, tomatoes (with their liquid), Worcestershire, salt, and thyme. Cover and cook on low heat for 4 hours, or on high for 2 hours. Add the shrimp, crabmeat, and okra, and cook 1 hour longer on low heat or 1/2 hour longer on high.

Tip: Once the ingredients are in the pot and the slow cooker is simmering, don't lift the lid. Heat and steam escape. If you do, you'll lose an estimated 20 minutes of cooking time.

CALORIES 273 (27% from fat); FAT 8g (sat 2g); PROTEIN 38mg; CHOLESTEROL 204mg; CALCIUM 222mg; SODIUM 1757mg; FIBER 2g; CARBOHYDRATE 11g; IRON 4mg
  • fitnessmatters
    Options
    i got the same one. i got the lowfat one....it is awesome.....i use it all the time..
  • jlohern
    jlohern Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have a killer Italian Beef recipe!

2 pound Sirloin Tip/Rump Roast
    1 small jar pepper rings
    1 packets of Zesty Italian Dressing Mix (powder)
    1/2 cup water
    1/4 cup vinegar
    1 teaspoon garlic
    1 teaspoon basil
    1 teaspoon thyme

Makes 8 servings (4oz meat each)

Cook all day on low or 3-4 hours on high. Remove from crockpot and shred meat. Put back into the crockpot to warm back up and absorb some of the juice. Serve on a whole wheat bun.

150 calories (meat only)

I haven't calculated the rest of the nutrition facts. It is probably high in sodium, but so good! I had this last night and one sandwich with a whole wheat bun was only 300 calories.
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    great recipes

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I have a great stew recipe given to me by my trainer. It makes a lot though so I would recommend cutting it in half. It contains lean beef, cabbage, carrots and turnip (instead of potatoes). I don't really want to type it all out, but if you are interested send me an e-mail and I'll scan and send it to you.
  • Life_is_Good
    Life_is_Good Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Looking for recipes... These look awesome!