does muscle really weigh more than fat?

Options
1235»

Replies

• grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    How many people does it take to reiterate the point that a pound of fat and a pound of muscle weigh the same?

Is there ever a time when someone says that muscle weighs more than fat and actually means they are not equivalent in weight when both measured in pounds? I would think most of us would be intelligent enough to realize that what they MEAN is that muscle is more dense than fat.
  • savage22hp
    savage22hp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    How many people does it take to reiterate the point that a pound of fat and a pound of muscle weigh the same?

Is there ever a time when someone says that muscle weighs more than fat and actually means they are not equivalent in weight when both measured in pounds? I would think most of us would be intelligent enough to realize that what they MEAN is that muscle is more dense than fat.

Intelligence has very little to do with it . If I am going out and my wife says we are out of laundry detergent then she means for me to get it . To best communicate that though she should say (ask?) get some detergent while you are out . This post goes around and around because a lack of being able to communicate . It is true that muscle weighs more than fat if you communicate what you assume to be known , equal volume . It is also true that muscle and fat ,weighed on a scale with like units , will balance 1 lb = 1 lb
    , or as many keep posting a pound of anything = a pound of something else . Both sides are right but arguing about 2 different things .

.....and by the way in the backwoods where I am from roid refers to hemorrhoid . I know those posting about roids here are talking steroids but just think what might be going through someone's mind when they read roid juice if they don't know what you are talking about ? I shudder at the thought ......
  • grinch031
    Options

Intelligence has very little to do with it . If I am going out and my wife says we are out of laundry detergent then she means for me to get it . To best communicate that though she should say (ask?) get some detergent while you are out . This post goes around and around because a lack of being able to communicate . It is true that muscle weighs more than fat if you communicate what you assume to be known , equal volume . It is also true that muscle and fat ,weighed on a scale with like units , will balance 1 lb = 1 lb
    , or as many keep posting a pound of anything = a pound of something else . Both sides are right but arguing about 2 different things .

.....and by the way in the backwoods where I am from roid refers to hemorrhoid . I know those posting about roids here are talking steroids but just think what might be going through someone's mind when they read roid juice if they don't know what you are talking about ? I shudder at the thought ......

Yeah but its as if there is some myth out there that a pound of fat and a pound of muscle don't weigh the same. That myth doesn't exist. Its just people using incorrect semantics, but everybody means the same thing no matter how they word it.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    This post goes around and around because a lack of being able to communicate .

Not true, this goes round and around because of an over-abundance of pedants.
  • savage22hp
    Options

Ha Ha Ha , I had to look that one up !
  • grinch031
    Options

Ha Ha Ha , I had to look that one up !

So did I. That is a great new addition to my vocabulary.
  • savage22hp
    Options
    Yeah but its as if there is some myth out there that a pound of fat and a pound of muscle don't weigh the same. That myth doesn't exist. Its just people using incorrect semantics, but everybody means the same thing no matter how they word it.

You would be surprised at the myths on these forums :
    Animal husbandry is the root cause of starvation
    The term water includes everything that contains water
    Soylent green is people
    Etc......
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Weight=mass x force of gravity
    Density =mass / volume
    Therefore Weight = ( Density x Volume ) x force of gravity
    The density of muscle is greater than the density of fat SO ... Gravity is the same for both , density is different , volume CANNOT be equal to weigh the same .
    1 lb = 1 lb , no matter the material but the saying muscle weighs more than fat is ASSUMING equal volume .

Now for a really hard question :
    If it took a chicken and a half a day and a half to lay an egg and a half ,
    How long would it take a monkey with a wooden leg to stomp the seeds out of a pickle ? ( assuming the density of monkey = the density of chicken )

IDK I'm too freaked out over the chicken laying half an egg to think about it!!