To Quinoa or Not To Quinoa... that is the question.

Options
Hey guys and gals!!

So... anybody make and love or hate quinoa? Thoughts? Tips? Recipes to use with this non-grain grain.

Can you make it in a rice cooker, or is stove top better?

Replies

• AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I love it - much lighter than rice. I don't have any particular recipe, I just make up a batch or two a week and leave it in the fridge and then use it as a rice substitute as and when needed. I have made it in my rice cooker before - I find it comes out best being cooked at a lower heat for longer (which is why I make up a bunch to have on hand for quick reheating). Also, it is hard to get the volumne of water right - I recently tried 5:1 water to quinoa and although it seemed like loads of water, it came out nice and fluffy.

I also toast it a little bit before adding water, or if I want more flavour, using stock instead of water.
  • MILFaspirations
    MILFaspirations Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    thanks definitely interesting!

I think I will buy some today!!!

Maybe I can add some cilantro, garlic, and lime to it and make it tasty
  • flibberdajibbitt
    flibberdajibbitt Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm not a HUGE fan of the flavour of it...so I tend to flavour the heck out of it. Just treat it like rice really...sometimes I add garlic/spinach/cherry tomatoes/basil to it. Can barely taste the quinoa that way haha
  • ashleyboyes
    ashleyboyes Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I actually just bought Quinoa this week for the first time as I am trying to cut down on my carbs. I got a recipe for Chicken balti which used Quinoa instead of rice.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/6303/spiced-chicken-balti

I also used it last night, I boiled it in chicken stock for 20mins (1 part Quinoa, 5 parts water), then drained and left for 10 mins to cool then I added sundried tomatoes, feta cheese, cucumber, raw red onion and seasoned then had it with salmon fillet, it was delicious and not bland at all.

Hope this helps - ENJOY!
  • TigerH34
    TigerH34 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just started eating it and really like it, but it has a very distinct texture that is different from rice.

I like it with either real butter, salter, pepper, basil and garlic or just cover it with a little bit of natural honey.
    I think both taste great.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    We had some that was a roasted pepper and it was amazing I eat alot of that and coucus now. :)
  • nukehiker
    Options
    been thinking of trying some , the only quinoa i see there are in the little flavored envelopes though. I may have to try another grocery store to find more pure versions.
  • ghettosmurf999
    ghettosmurf999 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It's quite simply amazing. Can make it taste like whatever you want by cooking in stock, and if you want a quick accompnyment to some meat, you can just chuck some frozen veg in with it a minute or so before it's done and you have a meal.

Really, just amazing stuff :)
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    hmm.. I've had a box sitting in my cupboard for probably literally 3 years. I should probably use it up but I've been timid to try cooking it, since I honestly even mess up instant rice. haha
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    i add lemon juice, olive oil, walnuts, sun dried tomatoes (optional), and edamame or peas. also like too cook it in broth.
  • heyghoge
    heyghoge Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    i just wish it weren't so bleeping expensive. :(
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I always thought quinoa was considered a carb?

I love it, I dont eat enough of it in fact - but when I do make it, I make a kind of tabbouleh style quinoa accompaniment:

Chopped coranider/cilantro + parsley + mint + finely diced onion or scallions + lemon juice + cooled cooked quinoa

Add the following to the above for an amazing lunch or salad:

- Roasted butternut squash or sweet potato cubes + Greek yoghurt
    - Cooked diced chicken + garlic + finely diced tomato
    - Feta or goats cheese + roasted medley of red peppers, red onions and squash
  • MILFaspirations
    MILFaspirations Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    yum! look what i found

Quinoa Pizza Bites
    Makes ~40 bites
    2 cups cooked quinoa
    2 large eggs
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
    2 tsp minced garlic
    1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
    1 cup chopped pepperoni slices (~1/2 of a 7 oz bag)
    1/2 tsp seasoning salt
    1 tsp paprika
    1 tsp dried crushed oregano
    pizza sauce for dipping
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    2. Mix together all ingredients, except pizza sauce, in a medium mixing bowl.
    3. Distribute mixture into a greased mini muffin tin, filling each cup to the top (1 heaping Tbs each), and press down gently to compact.
    4. Bake for 15-20 minutes.

Nutritional Information for 5 bites per My Fitness Pal: Calories - 175, Fat - 10g, Protein - 9g, Fiber - 2g, Calcium - 10mg
    http://www.soveryblessed.com/2012/02/quinoa-pizza-bites.html
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I've only used it to make this recipe...kind of a weird texture IMHO but it's really good for you

Strawberry Quinoa Salad (Weight Watchers)
    serves 4

1 C quinoa, rinsed
    3 C whole strawberries, hulled (halved and quartered if large)
    1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
    ½ C low-fat sesame-ginger salad dressing
    1 5 oz container baby arugula salad blend

Cook quinoa according to package directions. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool completely, about 20 minutes. Stir in strawberries, cucumber, and ¼ C of the dressing. Combine salad blend and remaining ¼ C of dressing; toss to coat. Divide salad blend among 4 plates; top evenly with strawberry mixture. Yields 2 1/4 C per serving.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I just jumped on the Quinoa train recently myself. I make one of my favorite couscous recipes with it. I do not measure so here is about what I use:

1.5 cups of dry quinoa that I cook
    Zest of one lime and about a tablespoon of the juice (do not use the whole lime for juice, its too much)
    1 cup of chopped cilantro.

YUM!

This will keep in the frig for days. Its about 155 calories per cup.
  • ghettosmurf999
    ghettosmurf999 Posts: 33 Member
    Options

This sounds stupid, but it's actually cheaper in the more upmarket shops - Ie. It's cheaper in Waitrose than it is in Tesco - because Tesco put it in the 'wholefoods' section and bump up the tag for being good for you, whereas waitrose it's just on the shelf with the rest of it.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options

This sounds stupid, but it's actually cheaper in the more upmarket shops - Ie. It's cheaper in Waitrose than it is in Tesco - because Tesco put it in the 'wholefoods' section and bump up the tag for being good for you, whereas waitrose it's just on the shelf with the rest of it.

True. The good thing about it though, is that (like rice) you can get one bag of quinoa and it can last you a REALLY long time. I'm a HUGE fan of quinoa!
  • jutymo
    jutymo Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I love it and use it a lot. I get a big bag at Costco for under $10. I use it in my homemade soups as a kind of noodle replacement. I just throw in a handful into the soup base and let it cook in that so it takes on the flavor of the soup. Don't put in TOO MUCH though or you'll have sauced quinoa instead of soup. It does expand as it cooks up.

I've got a fruit salad type recipe that I use it in as well. I know a lot of people think it's similar to cous-cous in that it's pretty bland on it's own. But I like it as a rice replacement, noodle replacement, base of fruit salad and it gives me some of that protein I always seem to be short on most days.
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Love quinoa, but it is too expensive for me to get very often. I'm finding bulgur wheat to be a nice alternative.
  • mochaphobic
    mochaphobic Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    This sounds delicious! I have salmon in my fridge and this sounds like the perfect compliment. :)
    Tina

I actually just bought Quinoa this week for the first time as I am trying to cut down on my carbs. I got a recipe for Chicken balti which used Quinoa instead of rice.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/6303/spiced-chicken-balti

I also used it last night, I boiled it in chicken stock for 20mins (1 part Quinoa, 5 parts water), then drained and left for 10 mins to cool then I added sundried tomatoes, feta cheese, cucumber, raw red onion and seasoned then had it with salmon fillet, it was delicious and not bland at all.

Hope this helps - ENJOY!