New Runner--inner thigh pain question

Options
Hi all--I noticed there is a MFP runners club can anyone join??
I have a question for fellow runners. I just started running again now that Spring is in the air (actually I should call it jogging) I run 1 minute then walk 1. I did a 45 minute run on Tuesday of this week and then a 45 minute run today and my inner thighs are killing me--after Tuesday's run they hurt until Friday. Today I had to put heat on them when I was done. I have been a runner off and on since high school (15 years) and although I have had shin splints many times and been sore I have never had issues with my inner thighs-- I have done a lot of yoga this winter (like BL weight loss yoga) and other videos--Does any one have any idea why my inner thighs would be bothering me so much??? I am very perplexed---Any suggestions for making it go away--I love running and don't want to be in pain the whole time and for days after!
Thank you for any help you can give me

Replies

• Hemis_mom
    Hemis_mom Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Hi all--I noticed there is a MFP runners club can anyone join??
    I have a question for fellow runners. I just started running again now that Spring is in the air (actually I should call it jogging) I run 1 minute then walk 1. I did a 45 minute run on Tuesday of this week and then a 45 minute run today and my inner thighs are killing me--after Tuesday's run they hurt until Friday. Today I had to put heat on them when I was done. I have been a runner off and on since high school (15 years) and although I have had shin splints many times and been sore I have never had issues with my inner thighs-- I have done a lot of yoga this winter (like BL weight loss yoga) and other videos--Does any one have any idea why my inner thighs would be bothering me so much??? I am very perplexed---Any suggestions for making it go away--I love running and don't want to be in pain the whole time and for days after!
    Thank you for any help you can give me
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Do you mean your muscles are sore, or skin? Obviously if it's your skin, it's from not wearing the proper attire - your underclothing. But if you're inner thigh muscles are really sore I'd suggest trying to run/jog at a pace that doesn't require you to stop every minute. It sounds like you may be trying to go a little too fast to start out with. I'd focus on trying to last a longer time without needing to walk no matter how slow the jog may be.

Other than that, just make sure you do plenty of leg stretching before and after your run. Welcome back to running - I hope you enjoy it.
  • Hemis_mom
    Options
    It is the inner thigh muscles that are aching
  • ischmelle
    ischmelle Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I'm a new runner too, and when I started my inner thighs were sore as well. I actually liked that they were sore because I have always wanted to get my inner thighs in shape and just never found an exercise I liked. Who knew it would be running?!?:laugh: I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just cut back the pace a little and let your body adjust. It eventually goes away.

Oh, also, P.S. When you are encountering running aches and pains that you feel may be more than the "usual," always check your shoes. Are they the proper shoes for running and are they proper for you while you are running?
  • rohdesl
    rohdesl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    First of all, don't heat your muscles after a run. Use ice instead. It'll help ease the aches better.

Second, are you stretching those muscles after you run? If I don't strech after I run or jog, then I get really sore too. For the inner thighs try laying on your back on the floor, bend your knees and put the bottoms of your feet together. Then drop your knees to the floor. Your feet should be together up closer to your butt. You should be able to feel the stretching in your inner thighs, and it really helps me if I do it right after I run.
  • Hemis_mom
    Options
    Thank you for all your help
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Ugh, welcome to getting back in shape!

Make sure to stretch and maybe even take an anti inflammatory, like advil for a few days. This will pass, at least until you try to speed up :wink: Just kidding, I have gone through various stages from thighs to my *kitten* to feet, shins, knees and hips but now when I run hard and hurt the next day it's because I know I pushed the envelope and I am working on a stonger me.

Stick with it! :flowerforyou: