Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Pounds versus Bodyfat.

Which one do you gauge your success by?

Replies

• Vonnie2006
    Vonnie2006 Posts: 246 Member
    I've been a slave to the scale, but I'm slowly learning that I need to gauge inches loss and body fat (1) to keep me motivated and (2) to get an overall picture of my success.
  • I hate the scale. Made a conscious decision not to live by it. I go by the way my clothes fit, the diminished dimples that I so dreaded on my thighs and butt...LOL...and I simple just go by how I feel.
  • MeekMeals
    MeekMeals Posts: 517 Member
    thanks vonnie and ton! I am trying to adjust. but my pants do feel snugger around my glute and hips. yuck!
  • GEMINI_STL
    GEMINI_STL Posts: 93 Member
    I, like others, weigh myself. It is cool to see the numbers drop. But I ALWAYS hit major plateaus where I won't drop weight for a while and will hover around a certain number. So I learned to let my clothes do the talking and Gage my weight loss or gain...and the weight will follow.
  • Dark_Latin_Guy
    Dark_Latin_Guy Posts: 149 Member
    Inches lost, is where it's at ☺
  • I weigh myself about once a week. But I also measure myself. If my weight stayed the same but I toned up and changed shape.... that's cool with me.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    always inches! Scale is one tool I use, but I take inche measurements from many body areas once a month. I often lose inches, but not scale weight. Or even gain a pound or two - but become tighter and leaner. :) Inches matter much more.

Losing weight can make you look good dressed, but to look good undressed, you need to improve tightness, that comes from muscle improvement. Dropping bodyfat. Increasing muscle. To get rid of jiggles, and tighten, you need to also imrove your bodyfat levels.

Heres why:

She Weighs more in the after - looks tighter (she started lifting weights)

236227942924235826_gkkV70hE_b.jpg

weighs same in both pics

75153887501416986_Y1GnYQpg_f.jpg

Weighs more in after - looks better

160933386653912536_Q9O5CANq_b.jpg

Both are size 2 (not same girl though)

160933386653912538_F1BeUw0D_f.jpg

Same general weight. but I beleiev she added on a few pounds for her after

5629568253764594_eOesUote_f.jpg

And Stacy of course:
    160933386653933440_XDkHzL9R_f.jpg

Stacys story has other pictures, and shows the differences in her body from cardio only, to adding in lifting:

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

These images are much like my results.

When I started to lift weights heavy with low reps. my scale weight is higher then the last time I was at this same body size. But I look tighter, leaner, firmer, and better nakkid. :) If I use scale only I am overweight. But I actually am not. I am right in line with correct Bodyfat, and size for my height and build, and at my goal size (last time I was here was age 25.)

Scale weight does not accurately tell you if your body composition has changed, or if you are tighter or fitter.

The scale measures 100 pounds of fat, the same as a 100 pounds of muscle. Even a special "bodyfat" scale, cannot really accurately measure/weigh your Bodyfat levels. They are really all inconsistent, and prone to many errors. ( I have one, and a handheld, neither is accurate to what my true bodyfat level looks like based on images)

The same amount of fat vs the same amount of muscle will look much different on the body. You can see from above images, and below - fat takes up more space on the body, then the same amount of muscle. So a 110 lb lady with 30 percent bodyfat looks much different from a 110 pound lady with 18% bodyfat.

160933386654082592_NvIGFFZy_b.jpg
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Bodyfat %
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    tangal88, fantastic post! You pretty much summed up what I was going to say. Contrary to what millions are told via the fitness industry for the most part, weight doesn't matter, nor does it indicate the success or failure of a nutrition program.

Before someone cries fowl, let me explain the second part of my statement. Weight loss is and will never be linear. There are far to many factors that influence the process of weight loss. For the short term using the scale to track to the success of one's nutrition effort for the most part will always lead to disaster. Why? Expectations.

Sure expectations are fine but they are tied to the scale. I track progress through skin fold measurements (which can be misleading), appearance, and most importantly weight training. IMHO, weight training is number 1 indicator for progress. If you're losing strength in core lifts (bench, squat) on a week-to-week basis, you losing muscle. Which in turn means you're getting fatter. Sure, on the scale you may be dropping weight, but from a body composition you're not progress you're regressing.

Just my .2 on the matter.
  • For ME....I go by % body fat. But I'm not trying to lose weight. If I were, I would probably prefer to use the scale. But a combination of both is your best bet
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Body fat first then weight!