Talking to a recruiter?

Options
2»

Replies

• Langlady
    Langlady Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I used to be a Navy recruiter back in 2002-2005. They will sit and talk to you to meet their appt to interview numbers. IF you are serious they will check in with you and if you want to PT with them they will welcome it with open arms because you are proving to them that you are indeed serious. I would always do an interview and then have them talk to all the recruiters for all the services. Find out which is best for you. And if anyone promises a particular job walk out. No service can garauntee a job. If you don't like the recruiter for that service ask to talk to another one. Because in the end, this may sound mean, but a contract is a contract. Some recruiters will look at you as a number, some will view as a person that wants to serve their country. Be completely honest with the recruiter with all debt, situations and so forth. No need to be if you figure out which service then you even more reason to participate in the PT and be ready for the bootcamp.
    IF you have questions about the Navy that you want verification with I will help you the best I can. I am no longer a recruiter, I am actually a Sailor that is now on instructor duty so I have no numbers to meet.
  • Neequie
    Options
    I have not been in a similar situation, but my hubs is in the military. My husband is in the Coast Guard. Which I HIGHLY recommend. In my opinion, it's the best of all branches for a number of reasons...second only to the Air Force. ANYWAY....back on subject, I think you should give it a try. The recruiter will tell you what you need to do, and he will keep in contact. MOST will go out of their way to help you also, that is their job!! They get "graded" performance wise on how many they get signed!! My hubs struggles with his weight too and is on MFP, that's actually how I found out about it, when he got put on the "fat boy program". He got off it quickly, (2 months) but has made a major lifestyle change and huge overhaul on how he eats, because he's a "carreer guy" or "lifer" in the Coast Guard. Not to mention he is in line to make rank again (Mo' Money!!!) so didn't want to jeopardize that. In my experience a recruiter will say and do anything to get you to sign on, in all branches. Of course there are exceptions, and not saying all are bad, but the majority. Research your stuff on your own, I will help any way I can!! If I don't know the answer, I will find out!! And find your branch and go talk to them girlie!! I always wanted to join, but put it off, now Im too old! And too fat right now anyway!! LOL!! JUST DO IT!! Sending lots of luck and good vibes sweets!!
  • relledge
    Options
    I think you should go for it. Don't sign anything...check everything out...sometimes they offer delay entry. The college route is also a good idea unless it's just not for you. I was a AF reservist for 4 years unti I married an AD Marine. Make sure your contract says what you want it to say!! Don't sign anything that says general or open contract. Make sure you get what you want!
  • mhanley1961
    Options
    I used to be a USMC recruiter. Go down and talk to them, they will tell you exactly what you need to do to prepare for your trip to MEPS (induction physical). You will also need to take the ASVAB testing. THIS is the most important part. These scor3es follow you and your career and will have a direct impact on what occupational fields that they offer. One thing to know about the Marine Corps, they will not offer or guarantee you a specific job, only an occupational field. Each occupational field has dozens of different jobs within them.

I used to tell everyone that came into my office the same thing. Mentally, physically and morally qualified. So you have to work on the physical part,they will tell you how to do it, and also give you the other info you want and tell you to come back when you reach a certain weight. Lastly, there are two different weight scales in the Marine Corps. One that is for your induction, and another more stringent for when you are in the actual Fleet Marine Force.
  • mhanley1961
    Options
    Also, you are not presented with a binding contract until you pass your physical at the MEPs center.
  • markwhiteII
    Options
    I went into the service US ARMY and was over their predetermined weight limit. Ask for a tape test. With the results of the tape test I was cleared by the Columbus, Ohio MEP's station for entry.

If you are showing the will and determination they will look at the overall loss you will see in basic training. Ask your recruiter what he feels you should do. They have a delayed entry program as well that will on occasion host meetings to share PT ideas and basic military life style adjustments with you.

Hoooo RAH!
  • xonikitashafferxo
    xonikitashafferxo Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I would give it a try. They might do PT and stuff with you. What branch so you want to go in. Air Force is still the hardest branch to get into and it seems like it's getting tougher. My hubby is Air Force. If you have any questions let me know and I can try to find out for you if I can't answer you.
  • fae14
    fae14 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I should note that the US military is going through a "force reduction" at the moment, so jobs are scarce and it's even harder to get in than it was before. I was in the US AF for a little over 2 years before voluntarily separating to give birth to and raise my daughter. Now, I'm trying to get back in and it is very hard.

I say consider college because 1) It will give you more time to work on your fitness goals and 2) They are ALWAYS taking officers. You'll be treated better as an officer, too. Consider the medical field, like nursing. This will be your best bet.

The only way I can see them being so open about recruitment is if 1) the federal military budget is further bloated and 2) war with Pakistan becomes a reality.

This.

I'm former Air Force as well and separated for the same reason. I'm married to active duty Army., and my brother is active duty Army as well. They're closing down posts and units over in Germany right now because of the reduction. It will be much harder to get in. Officers are always needed.

As far as PT goes, jump in where you're at. Running with the boys will either discourage you, or kick your butt into working harder. You can show them you're serious by doing their PT with them as often as possible, continue to lose weight, and discuss all your options. I also second not signing anything unless its the field you want to go in. Don't just take anything. They'll turn you into a mechanic lol.
  • bestdaysahead
    bestdaysahead Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Prior military here! Twelve years in the aviation field of the Navy. I wasn't overweight when I joined but I have always had to work at being under the limitations of the body fat index. I could do circles around the men with all of the exercises that they required of us every year and actually enjoyed the run. But, I had to work out during my lunch times at least three times a week, although I didn't really take care with what I ate like I do now.
    The experience is wonderful. I got to travel all around the world.
    Now I am a veteran's advocate and my job is to help veterans with their benefits. But I really enjoyed my time in the Navy.

BTW: I really wanted to join the Air Force but they were never in their office so the Navy guys talked me into joining with them! Glad I made that decision because I made E-6 in less than eight years, which is virtually impossible in the Air Force.
  • Chowder_17
    Chowder_17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I should note that the US military is going through a "force reduction" at the moment, so jobs are scarce and it's even harder to get in than it was before. I was in the US AF for a little over 2 years before voluntarily separating to give birth to and raise my daughter. Now, I'm trying to get back in and it is very hard.

I say consider college because 1) It will give you more time to work on your fitness goals and 2) They are ALWAYS taking officers. You'll be treated better as an officer, too. Consider the medical field, like nursing. This will be your best bet.

The only way I can see them being so open about recruitment is if 1) the federal military budget is further bloated and 2) war with Pakistan becomes a reality.

as are enlisted folks.....but where is everyone getting this impression that becoming an officer is easier? This is wrong

This.

I'm former Air Force as well and separated for the same reason. I'm married to active duty Army., and my brother is active duty Army as well. They're closing down posts and units over in Germany right now because of the reduction. It will be much harder to get in. Officers are always needed.

As far as PT goes, jump in where you're at. Running with the boys will either discourage you, or kick your butt into working harder. You can show them you're serious by doing their PT with them as often as possible, continue to lose weight, and discuss all your options. I also second not signing anything unless its the field you want to go in. Don't just take anything. They'll turn you into a mechanic lol.
  • Megthatgirl
    Megthatgirl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm very familiar with a lot of military life (my family and several ex's have been in) but when it comes to the recruiting process, I'm clueless!!