FAT/CARB/Protein Ratio

Options
What is your ratio for those that have really toned up?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Carbs / Day 159 g
    Fat / Day 47 g
    Protein / Day 88 g
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Carbs / Day 159 g
    Fat / Day 47 g
    Protein / Day 88 g

On what calorie set .5 lb or 1lb a week? did you change this or this is what mfp gave you?
  • EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    haaah toned up.. by defenition when someone sais i want to "tone up" there is no such term in the gym.. its either you are cutting or you are bulking to put on muscle.. cant do both...

now here is a little formula i use to get my macros... first you need your lean body mass LBM...

we will say we are calculation stuff for a 200lb person whose BF% is 20%

200x0.20=40
    200-40(fat)=160 your LBM

Proteins
    160 x 1.25 = 200g
    Carbs
    160 x 0.85 = 136g
    fats
    160 x .34 = 54.4 round it to 55g
    (this is for cutting for bulking you up the proteins to x1.5, carbs x2, fats x.75)

i dont use any of the presets that MFP gives as they are very low protein and unaccurate.. best is to do your own calculations... because "automated" stuff like this will give the same reading for a guy who is 200lbs 40%BF and a guys thats 200lbs and 9%BF which would have to be completley different macros...

hope this helps
  • newfieborn
    Options
    I have not really toned up but everything I have read says that the ratio should be (this is not exact) 40/40/20 (carb/protein/fat).
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    ~1g of protein per lb of lean body mass
    ~.35 g fat per lb
    the rest I don't worry about

For me it ends up being about 30% fat, 40% carbs, 30% protein, which matches up well with my goals/routines.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    ~1g of protein per lb of lean body mass
    ~.35 g fat per lb
    the rest I don't worry about

For me it ends up being about 30% fat, 40% carbs, 30% protein, which matches up well with my goals/routines.

^ This, although protein and fat listed above would be a minimum value that you can exceed.
  • mrau719
    mrau719 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I do about 40/40/20
  • YcatsFursworth
    YcatsFursworth Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Mine's 30/40/30 (carbs, protein, fat). I know from previous dieting experiences that carbs=pounds for me and protein helps loads on my weight loss
  • jdavis193
    Options
    I'm not sure if I am supposed to be eating more than 1310 calories I am trying to lose lbs but I want to tone. If I do 40/30/30 I only have 130g carbs.
  • EuroDriver12
    Options
    I'm not sure if I am supposed to be eating more than 1310 calories I am trying to lose lbs but I want to tone. If I do 40/30/30 I only have 130g carbs.

define tone.................................................. you want to build muscle?
  • Jingram2b
    Options
    This is a very informative thread about macronutrients.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=436716771
  • jdavis193
    Options

define tone.................................................. you want to build muscle?

Yes I do have some fat over that. I am 5'2 weight 124 I have a pooch I also had a kid she's 3 but always had the pooch this is the smallest I have ever been. I want definition.
  • NicolePatriot
    NicolePatriot Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    bump
  • EuroDriver12
    Options
    okay "tone" usually means build muscle... now when u tell someone to build muscle first image they get in their head is like jay cutler or arnold... what they dont understand is that you dont just wake up one day n look in the mirror n ur a beast... it takes 10+years to get big....

if you want defention and look firmer eat about 150-200cals over ur maintance cals and workout lift heavy 6-8reps and 4-5sets per excersise... this will build muscle make you look firmer and harder also will make u look skinnier!!

ur weight at ur height is perfect so build muscle for about 3-6months (will still notice that you are loosing fat) then after u r done building muscle do lots of cardio and keep lifting weights and you will loose the fat alot quicker and that pooch ur talkign of..
  • prestonmay
    prestonmay Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Protein 40 Carb 40 and Fat 20 works for me... But that is border line bodybuilding. However, it keeps me in shape when I do not work out...... On workout Days I do about 45 35 15 --- Really melts fat. Look into the BODY FOR LIFE program. I hit a plateau until i started doing it.... Along with SEAN T (LOL)
  • jdavis193
    Options
    okay "tone" usually means build muscle... now when u tell someone to build muscle first image they get in their head is like jay cutler or arnold... what they dont understand is that you dont just wake up one day n look in the mirror n ur a beast... it takes 10+years to get big....

if you want defention and look firmer eat about 150-200cals over ur maintance cals and workout lift heavy 6-8reps and 4-5sets per excersise... this will build muscle make you look firmer and harder also will make u look skinnier!!

ur weight at ur height is perfect so build muscle for about 3-6months (will still notice that you are loosing fat) then after u r done building muscle do lots of cardio and keep lifting weights and you will loose the fat alot quicker and that pooch ur talkign of..

Ok so I should be eating a lot more calories then.
  • prestonmay
    prestonmay Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    U are 110 percent right.... Become Stronger and Look Stronger.... Eating right and heavy lifting is a home run.. Add 2 days of cardio and you have your GRand Slam
  • jdavis193
    Options
    U are 110 percent right.... Become Stronger and Look Stronger.... Eating right and heavy lifting is a home run.. Add 2 days of cardio and you have your GRand Slam

It says my maintnance is 1500. When I was eating 1200 I was losing a lb a week. Well I got frustrated bc I wasn't toning I was losing. I had to switch over tos traight strength training. I actually do Cathe Friedrich videos she is all about lifting heavy. I do MThursday 23-30 min of lower body and abs Tues Friday I do upper body 40 min. I do cardio 3x a week for 30-40 min.
  • EuroDriver12
    Options
    to build muscle you need gym workout...

5-6day split 1 body part a day, 6ish excersises per body...

if ur maintance is 1500 then eat 1650ish... use the calculations i provided to get ur macros like protein,carbs, fats,

cardio 15-20min a day
  • jdavis193
    Options
    to build muscle you need gym workout...

5-6day split 1 body part a day, 6ish excersises per body...

if ur maintance is 1500 then eat 1650ish... use the calculations i provided to get ur macros like protein,carbs, fats,

cardio 15-20min a day

The workout I do is actually a gym workout I use a barbell with 10-15lb dumbbells. Cathe Friedrich is a heavy lifter but for at home use. Look her up CAthe Friedrich Muscle max. look above at my routine.