Arc Trainers

Options
Does anyone know if the benefits of using an Arc Trainer are better than an elliptical or a treadmill?

Replies

• lwoods34
    lwoods34 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Ive used ARC trainers before and from what I can tell the benefits are the same as using the elliptical or treadmill. The arc is low impact just as the elliptical is so if you are having joint issues or have an injury, the arc trainer OR ellliptical is a great alternative to the treadmill which even if you are walking can still be a little harsh on the joints and especially if you have an injury.

Hope that helps.
  • wwww1199
    wwww1199 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    It does! Thank you. I've been thinking about switching from the treadmill due to issues with my knees and foot.
  • GreekByMarriage
    GreekByMarriage Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I always get a higher calorie burner on the Arc.

I don't even bother with the treadmill because I already walk more than 2 miles a day, and because of bad ankles and a hee stress fracture I cannot run.

The elliptical is ok... but I feel like I get a better work out on the Arc. If you raise the level and the resistance (I usually do level 20 and resistance 20) your legs really come up as if your were climbing/hiking. Whereas on the elliptical, you don't get that same movement.

I was at the gym this morning and I got so upset after my strength training because the 3 Arc's they have were being used LOL. I started on another machine, but as soon as one of the Arc's opened up I jumped right on it! I'll take the Arc over the bike, tradmill, or elliptical anyday!
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    For me I definitely get more glute, hamstring and outer thigh from the arc trainer, plus my calorie burn is greater for the same time period, though the overall distance is shorter. This makes since as it is more like climbing. I still do the elliptical, but more for "speed" work at moderate resistance for endurance (Level 4-5 with either an interval or cross-training program without slowing). For the arc trainer I do hill intervals at Level 4 or 5, using the hard sections to pick it up and spike my heart rate and the dips as an active recovery (not too slow but not full out). Have fun with it. That's my two cents. :smile:
  • wwww1199
    Options
    I'm not sure how crazy this is but I went on the Cybex Arc Trainer website to calculate how many calories I can burn on the machine. at 50% resistance and a level 5 incline for 45 min I can burn 54979 calories??? Seriously?
  • rides4sanity
    Options
    Nope, sorry, but it can be well into the 500-600 range if you keep a nice pace.
    I'm not sure how crazy this is but I went on the Cybex Arc Trainer website to calculate how many calories I can burn on the machine. at 50% resistance and a level 5 incline for 45 min I can burn 54979 calories??? Seriously?
  • wwww1199
    Options
    Ok whew! I thought that was unreasonable!
  • rides4sanity
    Options
    Ok whew! I thought that was unreasonable!

BTW, 50% on the arc trainer at Level 5 is quite tough.
  • GreekByMarriage
    GreekByMarriage Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I can't even imagine doing 50% resistance!! But at Level 20 with about 16% resistance and my heartrate at 140-150 I burn about 650 calories an hour (I am 5'2, 177 pounds).
  • slawrence311
    Options
    I just went on and calculated...same thing happened because I put the minutes where the hours should go lol...second box is minutes...hope that helps!
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    The Arc Trainer was originally invented to rehab knee injuries.
    I noticed I always got a higher calorie burn on the Arc as opposed to the elliptical.
  • pamjeff10
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/135616-arc-trainer-benefits/

Above link is to an Article written by a PHd - explaining the benefits of using arc verses elliptical. More calories burned in same amount of time.
  • akdollie
    akdollie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I love the arc trainer at my gym! I use almost all of the cardio machines there but during the week when I have to get ready for work and get my daughter ready for school I only use the arc since my am workout time is cut short. I try to keep a good mix of different cardio just so I don't fall into a rut. I usually burn about 600 cal in 30 mins on there which is about 150-200 more than on the regular elliptical for me. The ones at my gym don't have the arm handles so its more of a core builder also.
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I love the arc trainer!! Its my favorite cardio machine and I burn more calories on it in less time than the elliptical. I honestly think the elliptical is a waste of time for me lol
  • karlalband
    karlalband Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    The Cybex Arc Trainer is a monster. It's the first piece of equipment I get on at the gym. 20 mins to half hr and I'm soaked. I've been skipping the Cybex Treadmill lately. I use a sit down Elliptical called Octane Fitness. I'm not too sure of any of the Calories Burned by any of them. Either they seem like not enough or too much ...lol?
  • The Arc is easier on the knees.
  • kmc979
    kmc979 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    i've been eyeing the arc trainer at my gym but was intimidated by it (whenever i bust up my knees it lays me out for months). I spoke to a physical therapist today about it (who knows how my knees dislocate) and she said yes, absolutely! She told me to keep my stride short and the resistance low at first. she said it was a great hamspring and glute workout. totally gonna try it now!
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I'm an Arc fan, too.
  • MissRay07
    MissRay07 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I LOVE/HATE the Arc!! HAHA :laugh: I can burn the most calories on there. This morning it was 425 in 30 min. I am gradually increasing my time. When I first started I could only do 5-10 min. It is easy on the joints which is great! Don't be afraid to try it!
  • cangely
    cangely Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How do you know what 50% resistance is? Is it a set number? Or a percentage of body weight?