vegetarian sandwiches other than PBJ

Options
2»

Replies

• jillyt85
    jillyt85 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I've been having cucumber, hummus, avocado, onion, tomato, and feta on pita bread lately. Very filling, tasty, and healthy. You could also do a grilled cheese and avocado sandwich. An avocado rueben. I use avocado as my "meat" a lot of times for sandwiches.
  • lynseybreit
    Options
    Have you ever had a peanut butter and lettuce sandwich? It sounds super weird but I have them in a pita or on a wrap all the time, its surprisingly filling, and tastes super good. I can usually put 4 or more full lettuce leaves in with 2 or so tbsp of peanut butter. Sound weird, you could always go with standard PB and banana. AND, everything tastes way better with 3 minutes in the G.Foreman, and burns the sugars off your bread...or so I've heard :)
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Marinated tofu or tempeh makes an awesome sandwich filler! Cucumber, bean sprouts, roasted red pepper, pickles, mustard and/or hummus are my favorite toppings!
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I like to use the Mission Carb Control tortillas and then mash up avocado and lettuce, cheese -- whatever you want (could even use black beans?) and roll them up. I wrap them in foil the night before and they make a great lunch.
  • packersfn7
    packersfn7 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am so overwhelmed by the variety of amazing ideas! Thanks so much for all of your contributions. I am seriously so hungry right now seeing all these wonderful meals!
  • tiptoeketo
    tiptoeketo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I like a triangle of laughing cow cheese, with sliced tomato on top.

Sometimes I use Brocolli Slaw, shake it with a dressing, and wrap it up with some cheese or peppers.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Also, veggie burgers are pretty tasty cold, too!
  • Tuffjourney
    Options
    Yum, I love sliced cucumbers, sliced red peppers, sliced eggplant(roasted is even better) slice of good cheese is a perk, but you could also add avocado or tomatoe or red onion or sprouts....even sliced mushrooms. YUM
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    One of our favorite restaurants makes a hummus and veggie sandwich on homemade whole wheat--delicious.
  • chaitrex
    chaitrex Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Sprouts, hummus, sliced tomato, avocado, arugula or baby spinach.
    Spicy tofu with mild greens and avocado.
    Grilled or roasted red peppers/yellow squash/eggplant (all three together is good, too), goat cheese or feta, avocado or hummus, sundried tomatoes, fresh greens.
    Almond butter, banana, and honey.
    Grilled mushrooms and onions with pesto spread, avocado, lots of spinach, cheese.
    This is before we even bring in veggie patties, falafel, textured vegetarian protein(best sloppy joes ever happen with textured vegetarian protein).
    Also, if I want more crunch in any of these I add pickles, cucumbers, shredded carrots or slivered radishes.

I would say that the most important aspect of a balanced vegetarian sandwich is getting the right amount of protein. I use Ezekial or Trader Joe's California Style Complete Protein bread, so I'm getting about 10 grams of protein right off the bat. If you want somethign lighter, whole wheat sandwich thins and bagel thins provide about 5 grams each.
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    My favorite hummus and veggie sandwich:

sprouted protein Wheat Bead
    Hummus spread on both sides
    smashed Avocado on one side
    1 tbsp Sunflower Seeds sprinkled evenly on both sides
    sliced Cucumber (length wise on one side)
    sliced Tomatoes (on the other side)
    Lettuce (lot of lettuce in the middle)

You can also make with Cream Cheese instead of Hummus! 362 calories with Hummus. Very filling. Unbelievably yummy both ways!
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I just had chick pea salad (chick peas, fresh parsley, lemon juice, red onions, black olives, and olive oil) on toast with hummus and red peppers
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Portobello burger- marinate portobello in balsamic vinaigrette then cook, serve with cucumbers, carrots, roasted red peppers, feta cheese and roasted pine nut hummus.
  • anastasiawildflower
    Options
    Here are a couple of my favorites-

honey mustard on each side of bread + cheddar cheese + sliced green apples

hummus on each side of bread + black olive + roasted red pepper + feta + spinach

hummus on one side + dijon on the other slice + lettuce + avocado + red pepper + sprouts

sauteed mushrooms* + cooked onions + swiss cheese

pb&apples

my husband's favorite= peanut butter + nutella + banana

Now I make most of these in a vegan version, but they are just as lovely now as they were in my vegetarian days. I love them because you can make most of the ingredients ahead of time and preportion them, minus the apple and avocado probably.

*I like to slice portabellas, but button mushrooms are awesome too, and coat them lightly in equal parts olive oil and soy sauce and bake for 10 minutes at 350 in the oven. Sounds a little odd but is so amazing.
  • seanwebster
    seanwebster Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I just tried chickpea salad (mock tuna salad) the other day and discovered I actually like the other stuff that goes in it more than the tuna. Gotta be careful with the mayo/vegenaise because of calorie counts, but lightly mashed chickpeas sort of turn into their own binder. I keep it simple: red onion, dill pickles, a little mustard, sometimes celery if I've got it handy.

Wrong time of year for this but once tomatoes are in season, I like a plain tomato sandwich on toast with a little mayo (to keep the bread from getting soggy) and some grated parmesan.

If you expand the definition of sandwich to include tacos... because I do... the sky's the limit. Favorite is sweet potato, black bean and poblano chili.
  • marquesajen
    Options
    Cream cheese with cucumber and radish slices
    Slice of cheese, cucumber slices, radish slices, lettuce, tomato, olive oil, sprinkle of oregano, bit o' sea salt
    Hummus and veggies
    peanut butter and banana
    Almond butter, pear slices, chopped dates
  • shalinimunjal
    shalinimunjal Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    loads of great ideas here!! My faves are

Egg salad on whole wheat on a bed of spinach
    Roasted red peppers, red onions, hummus, mozzerella
    Cucumber, tomato, mayo on bread
  • blondebiker
    blondebiker Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I just made this spread and put it on a sandwich. Tastes great!

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/3000